Thread: urine odor

urine odor

Hello,i'm currently having a bad odor coming from my urine.I contacted my urologist they said since i have a Sp tube i should take Azo and drink lots of water, instead of them prescribing an antibiotic because i could become resistant. Does this seem accurate?

Quote Originally Posted by SLIQNES View Post
    Hello,i'm currently having a bad odor coming from my urine.I contacted my urologist they said since i have a Sp tube i should take Azo and drink lots of water, instead of them prescribing an antibiotic because i could become resistant. Does this seem accurate?
    Likely your bladder/urine is colonized with bacteria and that can result in urine with an odor.

Are you experiencing urinary tract infection symptoms? If you aren't experiencing symptoms, current practice is not to treat with antibiotics because of the risk of antibiotic resistance.

Azo or Phenazopyridine (over the counter medications) is a dye that works as a painkiller to calm the lining of the bladder while waiting for antibiotics to become effective. I don't think it will help at all with the odor of the urine.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Likely your bladder/urine is colonized with bacteria and that can result in urine with an odor.

Are you experiencing urinary tract infection symptoms? If you aren't experiencing symptoms, current practice is not to treat with antibiotics because of the risk of antibiotic resistance.

Azo or Phenazopyridine (over the counter medications) is a dye that works as a painkiller to calm the lining of the bladder while waiting for antibiotics to become effective. I don't think it will help at all with the odor of the urine.
    My urine was dark but since i started drinking more water it has returned to its normal color but the odor is still there.Other than that i'm not having any symptoms.

Try adding more vitamin C. Always does the trick for me.

Blog Entries
    I take AZO cranberry pills in the morning and D-Mannose pills at night. Drink lots of water and keeps things clean. take vit c chewable tablets at times also. good luck

Change in urine odor is not diagnostic for a UTI in people with SCI/D. Unless you have signs/symptoms of a true UTI (chills, fever, severe malaise, AD, elevated WBC in your blood, etc.) even a positive urine culture is not considered a UTI, but colonization. With rare exceptions, colonization should not be treated with antibiotics. Pretty much anyone who uses an indwelling catheter long term will be chronically colonized.

Some bacteria can cause more problems with odor than others. You can try taking vitamin C or try drinking cranberry juice, although this may not help with this particular bacteria. Sometimes foul smelling urine can be caused by what you eat or other medications (especially B vitamins) you might be taking. Dilute urine is usually less smelly than concentrated urine too, so be sure you are drinking 2.5-3 liters of fluid daily.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Thanks for all the helpful advise,im drinking more fluids and taking vitamin c will post results.