Thread: Evenity, new bone growth drug

Evenity, new bone growth drug

Just read this, this sounds like a great potential help for us, since we easily lose as much bone as anyone else. Hope they expand the use pretty quickly. I am visiting a spine doc tomorrow, gonna ask him about this too.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...ton-grows.html
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Forteo so increases bone strength and seems to work in a similar manner. It is quite expensive.

According to the article sited by "McDuff," Evenity is "injected in two doses, given one right after another, at a time. Patients can have up to 12 doses." Fortero is a once a day subcutaneous injection that can be taken for up to 2 years. So Evenity does have a greater chance of patient compliance. I took Forteo for the full 2 year course, and the everyday injection gets old. I've also taken Reclast, which is a once a year 40 minute infusion. While I haven't gained bone density, at least I'm not getting any worse. This summer, my doctor will consider Prolia.

Many of the medications used to treat bone loss don't work as effectively on those who have spinal cord damage as compared t0 those who don't. However the only way to determine if it is working is a scan. And as someone posted, "While I haven't gained bone density, at least I'm not getting any worse."

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

The only thing I was ever offered or told about was Forteo, and I was not up for the once a day bs, got enough going on. Mistake? Who knows.

But something that can happen in a day or two, yeah buddy, I'd be up for that.

The Spine Doc had not heard of this med yet. :-( But hopefully he will look into it, I will be seeing him again, as I am going to try a sympathetic nerve block to see if we can knock out this weird sweating issue on one side of my body below break line. Been trying to find the cause for 3 years with no luck, so going to try at least block the symptom a little.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"