Thread: Advise re bladder ileostomy and colostomy management for C5/6 quad

Advise re bladder ileostomy and colostomy management for C5/6 quad

Finding so many posts on these two subjects on CareCure that I'm kind of getting lost. Could someone please guide me to find the information I'm looking for:

I am interested in electing to have a colostomy surgery to manage my bowel routine and address issues of excessive gas-bloating-distension that, besides being uncomfortable, painful and unattractive, increase dysreflexia issues.

I already have a unitary ileostomy stoma below and right of my belly button.
    I've had a tendon transfer and can manage the catheters with that stoma.
    I wear a quad corset/binder with a cut out area to access the urostomy stoma.

1. Are there extra challenges by having two stomas on my belly?
    2. Will I have enough dexterity to manage the colostomy by myself?
    3. How to design a corset that will stay in place with two stoma cutouts?
    4. Any advice on questions I need to go over with my doctor?
    5. Any referrals for surgeons experienced with colostomies for quadriplegics in Southern CA - San Diego preferred.

Your comments will be much appreciated.

I would advise speaking with an ostomy nurse
    most surgeons who perform this procedure many times should be able to refer you to an ostomy nurse who is knowledgeable about different types of supplies, bags, wafers, powders etc.

pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I'm c5/6, no tendon transfer, mitrofanoff lower right abdomen, colostomy lower left. Manage cathing and bag change easily. I get help with the flange changes as my stoma is oddly shaped. Have spoken to many c5/6s who do it all themselves. If I had tendon transfers and nice round stoma, I'd probably do it all easily.
    "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi

I think that this one is best left to the experts, and to wond/ostoy nurses......

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.