Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weighing options to go for SPC

The answer to your question depends on what your local hospital does routinely. If an SPC is not routine for someone there, look for a hospital where it is routine. You really have to ask locally, not here. I would begin by contacting the best place for SCI in India and asking their advice. Possibly you can find a doctor or Urologist who specializes in SCI on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    You will be far less prone to bladder/kidney infections by staying with intermittent cath. I don't understand why you would want to risk that with the SPC.
    Sometimes, you don't have a choice. In the case of the original poster of this thread, he is C4/5 and maybe finding it difficult to continue to try to cath himself or if he need help with catheterization, finding care may be difficult. Intermittent catheterization takes a good deal of hand function to maintain a clean or sterile field, which can result in frequent urinary tract infections (UTI). He just may not be able to manage on his own.

In my case, urodynamics showed high bladder pressures and I was having to be cathed approximately every 2 hours round the clock. I was unable to cath myself competently, and NL had to cath me that frequently. Our quality of life was abysmal. We/she couldn't be away for more than about 1.5 hours at a time, we were't getting any sleep and life was pretty miserable. With the supra pubic, our quality of life has improved greatly, and I've not experienced frequent and recurring UTIs.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Sometimes, you don't have a choice. In the case of the original poster of this thread, he is C4/5 and maybe finding it difficult to continue to try to cath himself or if he need help with catheterization, finding care may be difficult. Intermittent catheterization takes a good deal of hand function to maintain a clean or sterile field, which can result in frequent urinary tract infections (UTI). He just may not be able to manage on his own.
    In post #1 the OP states, "
    I was on the intermittent catheter. I want to go to SPC." Want, not must. I have quad paws and have been doing self cath for almost 41 years, for 8 years before that I had a foley and many infections. Just trying to inform the OP of possible complications.
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    In post #1 the OP states, "
    I was on the intermittent catheter. I want to go to SPC." Want, not must. I have quad paws and have been doing self cath for almost 41 years, for 8 years before that I had a foley and many infections. Just trying to inform the OP of possible complications.
    The original poster is from India. Yes English is a primary language in India, but maybe "want," ("not must" ---your words and/or interpretion), is a language, cultural difference in expression of which you are making too much of an issue. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but a supra pubic catheter is not an out of the mainstream practice or procedure and in certain circumstances is just as efficacious as intermittent catheterization.

I hope in that we have all given our input to the original poster, he will make a determination for himself after consulting with his local resources.

The other thing I know after being on this Care Cure Community site for as long as I have been is that most posters don't tell us the whole story, so any of us who reply aren't dealing with a full deck of information. There is always more background story that isn't initially shared.
    Last edited by gjnl; 03-23-2019 at 11:18 PM.

Thanks a lot

I have no hand movement. From the last 14 years, it is because of my family members… Up to now, my bladder condition is okay and I do not have frequent UTI… But you know, the family is getting exhausted, More than eight months, here I have extreme summer and in those days it's quite hard to limit water… And here any caregiver cannot provide that much of sincerity and hygiene…That is why I want to go for SPC…
    Dr. can do it at the local level but their conviction and feedback are not up to the mark…
    the specialized hospital is quite far… But they are doing it quite frequently… That is why I was asking…
    By the way thanks to all of you for your valuable feedbacks…

That was a mistake. I'm still on the intermittent catheter, and I want to go to SPC… Thanks for the concerns… I can understand… Thanks and regards

Thanks for your observations! Some of them are valuable. My sincere thanks to all of you for your attention and time.
    Thanks and regards

Blog Entries
    i have had a spc for 30 some years. c6/7 complete and take care of everything myself - very happy with it and had 1 uti in last 5 years - i cant imagine having to self cath. love the freedom -