Thread: Hemorrhoidectomy - My Experience

Hemorrhoidectomy - My Experience

I'm a long time member but rarely post. I did a lot of research on this site before my surgery and some of the info helped me. So I thought I'd share my experience. Long post.
    I'm C5 with C6 function and I have sensation. I'm almost 21 yrs post.

I've suffered with a hemorrhoid for over 2 years. I was able to manage it but at the end of December, it became unmanageable. For 18 yrs I did my bowel program every day with a magic bullet in the morning. Part of my management with the hemorrhoid, I switched my program to every other day and tried to limit my time on commode to 40 - 45 mins. It worked for a couple years but it got to the point that nothing helped. It literally made my days miserable. For me the hemorrhoid was so bad, it was affecting my way of life. It was evil and I had to do something.

When I discovered my only option was surgery, I was really concerned because of the horror stories I read (pain, and possible AD).

My surgery was March 4th. It's now been 2 weeks. I'm so thankful, I decided to do it. I finally have my life and normal routine back. FYI: I'm not 100% independent and I have lots of help throughout this process.

Here's my experience:

March 2 - I took Milk Of Magnesium in the morning. I had results later that day. I wanted to make sure I had good results from my bowel program before my surgery. I was planning on not having a bowel movement for at least 2 days after my surgery. I ate very little. Took 3 stool softeners at night.

March 3 - Magic bullet in the morning. Good results. I scheduled a non emergency wheelchair transportation to pick me up after surgery to take me home. My reasoning for this was I didn't want to transfer in and out of a car after surgery. I ate very little.

March 4 - No bowel program. No food and no water. Surgery scheduled at noon. Before surgery, I discussed with my surgeon about my bladder management. I reflex void and from my research, I read it was difficult to urinate after surgery. So I decided to have a foley placed. My fear was I wouldn't be able to urinate. I wanted to concentrate on my recovery and not my bladder. As much as I hate those, it was the best decision. I got home around 4pm. My transportation worked great. When I got home I got into bed lying on my side. Didn't feel sore and no AD. Took 1 pain pill and 3 stool softeners at night. I wanted to stay ahead of the pain just in case of AD in the middle of the night.

March 5 - No bowel program. Laid in bed most of the day on my side. Foley still in place. Pain was not bad. I did have some pain in the area but not unbearable. The foley caused most of my discomfort. My bladder doesn't like it. I had mild AD from foley. I was checking my blood pressure often. I spent about 3 hours in my chair that afternoon. Overall, I felt better than expected one day after surgery. Still eating very light (apple sauce, yogurt, crackers, etc). Lots of water. Took 1 pain pill and 3 stool softeners at night time.

March 6 - No bowel program: Bladder calming down and getting use to foley. No AD. Spent about 4 hours in my chair. Increased my food intake and lots of water. Still my pain is not bad. Don't get me wrong, I had pain but it wasn't unbearable. Still no AD. Actually feeling better than expected. Decided to take a half of pain pill. The whole was too strong, didn't like the way it made me feel. Plus, I was only taking the pain med to stay ahead of the pain. I was actually surprised; I didn't have more pain and discomfort. Took my first shower. Transferred over to shower bench as smooth as possible. Tricky with a damn foley and sore butt. Shower felt great and went smooth. I shower every night from here on.

March 7 - This was a big day and I was a little nervous. It was bowel program day. I take the other half of the pain pill this morning before bowel program. I was worried about possible AD. Placed magic bullet, no signs of blood or unusual discomfort. Produced little results, which I expected. My food intake was limited several days prior. To my surprise, I had no blood or discharge during or after bowel program. I was on my commode chair for about 45 minutes. Did one digital stem very gently. Only about finger tip depth. Just to get a little reaction in the area. I also planned to remove the foley this day. I did remove it, in hope I could begin urinating. I tried urinating throughout the day and I couldn't. I decided to cath. I got catheters from urologist prior to my surgery because I was concerned about this scenario. I was prepared for it. I also took Cipro to prevent UTI. I know my body. Anytime I've cathed in the past, I got a terrible UTI, no matter how careful I am cathing. I didn't want to deal with that and I wanted to avoid the ER at all cost. In my chair most of the day. Eating more and still drinking lots of water. Pain is still manageable and no AD. No more pain pill. Took 2 Tylenol and 3 stool softeners at night. I also began CDB oil before bed.

March 8 - No bowel program. Went and saw my urologist. He said it could take a week or two to start urinating and assured me it will comeback. He gave me Cipro for 10 days and I got more catheters. At this point I'm in my chair most of the day. Began using a warm compress (damp warm sponge wrapped in a towel). I would get in bed on my side for about 45 mins with the warm compress resting on my butt area. Pain is manageable and no AD. Took 2 Tylenol, CBD, 3 stool softeners at night.

March 9 - Magic bullet with one gentle stem in the morning with little results again. No blood or discharge during or after bowel program. Getting concerned that I haven't had a good bowel movement in nearly a week. I was considering what to do in a day or two (Miralax or milk of magnesium). Up in my chair all day. Feeling good. Still having to cath. Eating normal amounts by this time. Drinking lots of water. Took 2 Tylenol, CBD, 3 stool softeners at night.

March 10 - No bowel program. Feeling good but needing to have a bowel movement. Also still need to cath. At this point, I didn't try to urinate yet. I could tell the area was still pretty tense (tight) and wanted that area to relax before attempting to urinate. My urologist and surgeon said this type of surgery causes that area (anus, sphincter) to pucker up or tighten up. Took 2 Tylenol, CBD, 3 stool softeners at night. Plus, warm compress. I'm now doing warm compress every night.

March 11 - Magic bullet with one stem. YEEEES!! Great results. It actually went pretty smooth. No pain and no AD during bowel movement. No blood or discharge during or after bowel movement. I was relieved that I had great results and it went smooth. Still having to cath. Took 2 Tylenol, CBD, 3 stool softeners at night. Plus, warm compress.

March 14 - I'm skipping ahead. The days prior were status quo. Bowel program doing great. But this is the day I finally began urinating. It started in the morning. It wasn't as smooth as before but I was able to urinate. Decided to put on condom cath and see how the day goes. It went pretty good and didn't need to cath. Stopped Cipro on this day as well. When I reflex void, I never get infections. Like March 11th, it was another milestone. I was relieved that things were getting back to my norm. Still on my night routine with 2 Tylenol, CBD, 3 stool softeners at night. Plus, warm compress.

Overall: I would definitely have this surgery again. I don't know if I was lucky or I had an amazing surgeon but I had little pain or complications throughout this process. Probably the most difficult thing was my bladder. I was well prepared and had lots of help throughout this process. Bowel movements have never been better. I think the hemorrhoid was preventing good bowel movements for a while. I stopped Tylenol and reduced stool softeners to one per night. Still using CBD and warm compress at night. I feel soooo much better than before. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.
    Last edited by Extrmmxer; 03-19-2019 at 06:45 PM.

Just wanted to say THANK-YOU for taking the time and effort to write this report. I know it's going to help a lot of people! Cheers!
    ______
    Awe at my magnificent coq!

"You may say I'm a dreamer
    but I'm not" - J. Lennon

Thank you!

Thank you for sharing your experience in such a detailed manner. I am sure that it will be helpful to many.

So glad to hear you are doing well.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Well done. Did they indicate to you the possibility of the condition returning in the future and, a manner of prolonging that possibility? I had the surgery and am once again fighting the pain and bleeding. Lasted about 5 or 6 years. I am a T11-L1 para.
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

Thanks, that's a great write up. I've had both hemorrhoidectomy and Haemorrhoidal Artery Ligation Operation (HALO) for piles as well as prolapsing problems and my experience was similar to yours.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtop1 View Post
    Well done. Did they indicate to you the possibility of the condition returning in the future and, a manner of prolonging that possibility? I had the surgery and am once again fighting the pain and bleeding. Lasted about 5 or 6 years. I am a T11-L1 para.
    My doctor didn't indicate whether or not the condition would return. However, he did tell me that everyone has hemorrhoids. They are part of our anatomy. Depending on circumstances, constipation, prolong time on toilet, excessive pushing the hemorrhoids could swell and even worse prolapse (stick out). They have different stages based on the severity. If you only have one fixed, theoretically the others could swell and cause an issue.