Thread: PCA's and Iphones

PCA's and Iphones

Do you allow your PCA to be packaging their phone like those old cowboy's used to. I'm really finding his annoying. I don't even want to hear my own phone. What the hell is so I'm important? Even at the nursing home, my bed was across from the facility room. They were in and out of their all day with their phones. I believe many of these people don't realize their here to WORK! Who gets paid $$$$$ to PLAY on their phone.
    Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
    Bob Seger

Obviously your PCA gets paid to play on his phone. Sounds like you don't have a contract or rules printed out of what you expect. Nurse KLD has a few threads on PCA contracts she instituted on behalf of her mother.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 03-19-2019 at 12:22 PM.

Yes, people everywhere are choosing Phone life over real life. Have then turn off their phones as a condition of employment.

We didn't allow cell phone use of any kind by PCAs while on duty except for emergencies.

At work, the nurses had work issued Android phones without internet access, which were used for a variety of work-related calls. Their personal cell phones could only be used on their break or lunch in the break room or off the unit; never in patient care areas. If that is not what is happening in your care facility, file a complaint with the nursing administrator. They should take action.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

If they are a good employee and EVERYTHING has been done to your satisfaction and they are somewhere where you can't be disturbed by the phone AND they come immediately when you request it, then perhaps a little more leeway can be granted. But that is only if everything is done, including tasks required for the future, such as any required cleaning, cooking, etc.

But, as others have suggested, I would not adopt this policy at first until I see their performance. Until then it should be as suggested above. If you do let them develop bad habits at the beginning, it will be much harder to break later on and could lead to a confrontational termination later on.

I assume you give these employees a break time during they time they are at work for you. Phones off except for the employees break or meal time break.

sorry to play devil's advocate here but unfortunately "phone life" has become real life. If you stop treating employees like people they will stop treating you like one. Try to find a happy medium with your help or you will find yourself with people of little to no use to anyone. Simply ask them to put it on vibrate and leave it at that. Might want to look up the phrase "compliment sandwich" - this technique actually works with the majority of people.

Unfortunately, in my area where it is so hard to find caregivers, the tables have turned and they know that they are in a position of power because they are in such high demand. I have a friend who offered a few caregivers $35 an hour for four hours of work paid in CASH, but dealing with a quad was too much work and they declined! I have no idea what I'm going to do when I lose my main caregiver who is on their phone from time to time.

For me, I feel like I have to pick my battles... And right now it's more important that I JUST HAVE CAREGIVERS. IMHO, Dealing with caregivers is by far the worst part of SCI life!!!

Good employees are worth their weight in gold...My experience has led me to use a golden rule. Caregivers or employees leave for a variety of reasons, but the top of the list is bad bosses. I see many of my ex employees on Facebook and they are never satisfied.