Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleep number advice needed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Sleep number advice needed

I'm looking at a Queen Sleep Number C2. I sleep on my side and have been sleeping on a latex extra plush mattress for 7 years with no skin problems. The A2 has only about an inch of padding and I need to know if the sleep number you use can compensate for less padding.
    Last edited by Donno; 03-18-2019 at 04:21 PM.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Actually "Donno," I don't see a Sleep Number A2 on the Sleep Number website. They do have a C2. That said, I do see an A2 model on Amazon made by Personal Comfort. https://www.amazon.com/Personal-Comf...ews/B00CHR6LLG

My only experience is with Sleep Number beds, so really can't comment on this one.

Blog Entries
    "gjnl", the A was a typo, which I have corrected in the original post, I *was* referring to the SN C2.

Quote Originally Posted by Donno View Post
    "gjnl", the A was a typo, which I have corrected in the original post, I *was* referring to the SN C2.
    Never get why people post that dont have anything to contribute??

Have been a long time SN user and that is the idea behind SN is the air out and in adjust to one needs.

But your special needs can only be answered by going to a sleep number store and trying it.

Now SN uses mattress tops with different thickness and adds to the price also.

What we like is the being able to add air when I need a little help rolling over then let air out once I turned for comfort.

The adjustable base helps to if one needs help turning.

Actually, I do have something to contribute now that I know we are talking about Sleep Number not Personal Comfort.

NL and I have used the Sleep Number beds for years. Our bed is a split king (actually two extra long twins) the Sleep Number 7000, purchased in 2008. In the ensuing years we have had a few problems and I have a few suggestions.

1. Replacing Hinges on Sleep Number Beds 7000. See complete post here: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ed-Series-7000The articulated sections of the bed, head raise and lower /feet raise and lower have hard plastic hinges that measure 4-1/4 inches by 4 inches. They are about 1/4 inch thick, except at the center flex point. A 1/2 inch wide section in the center of the hinge is about 1/8 inch thick. After ten years of raising and lowering the head of the bed, those hinges broke into two pieces and needed to be replaced.

The beds are in great condition, and last year we replaced the pillow top sections that sit on top of the air bladders. It seemed premature to replace the beds, when only the hinges were an issue. Replacement plastic hinges are available, but it didn't make sense to replace the hinges with the same plastic hinges that failed. I am a little bit of a hoarder, so when we replaced some interior doors a few years ago, I had NL remove the the brass hinges from the doors and have had them in a box in the garage. We needed 4 hinges, two for each twin bed (split king).

I wrote a thread about this replacement. There are pictures at the thread cited above. I bring this up, because you may want to talk to the Sleep Number people to ask about the hardware in those articulated hinges.

2. Replacing the pillow topper.
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?263133-What-s-your-sleep-number&highlight=sleep+number+topper
    The pillow tops on all beds have a habit of collapsing after a number of years of wear. At post #30 of the thread cited, I wrote about the Magic Sleeper company who can make a new topper for you by just sending the the zipper to the old topper. Whether you buy the thickest or the thinnest pillow topper on the Sleep Number beds. they will collapse. The pillow toppers also add to the overall height of the beds. If over all height is important to you consider the height of the pillow topper in the over all measurements.

3. Foam Layer(s)
    We have also replaced our foam layers. Currently, we have a one inch urethane foam layer underneath the air baffles (mattress). On top of the air baffles we a a 2 inch latex layer of foam. We too slept on latex foam for years and loved it. When we bought the 7000, a latex foam was not available. But later. Sleep Number made a replacement latex foam layer available and we upgraded to it. The foam has gradients of firmness for the head, foot and middle sections of the bed. We found this to be a great upgrade to our older beds. Ask about it on the new models.

4. Adjust and Determining Firmness
    When we bought our Sleep Number Beds, the showrooms offered a pressure mapping of sorts. It helped with selecting our original Sleep Number preferences, but we've made adjustments since then. Fortunately, I haven't had any skin issues with our beds, and usually can sleep the night without having to be turned. That said, I have a medical sheep skin on the top of the fitted sheet that is helpful in two ways, keeps me warm, but also wicks away moisture.

5. Fitted Sheets
    The Sleep Number branded sheets are fine (albeit a bit pricey). We found a company that makes a knit fitted sheet that actually stays on the bed when the head or foot is raised or lowered. Engio International: https://egino.com has a great selection of colors and sizes in these fitted sheets.

6. Overall height of bed
    Overall height of bed is important to most of us for transfers. I you want rollers, Sleep Number offered several sizes/types that helped to obtain the height you needed. If you wanted straight legs, Sleep Number offered those in heights from 2 inches up to 6 inches in one inch increment.

7. Leggett & Platt Base Power Units
    We have replaced the base power units on each of our beds. Leggett and Platt is the manufacture of the Sleep Number bases that control the adjustability of the beds. If a unit breaks Leggett and Platt will replace the power units under warranty or for about $170-$175 out of warranty. They are pretty easy to replace. About a 5 minute job. NL replaced both bases on our beds. Leggett and Platt: 800-888-3078.

Through it all we are pretty satisfied with our Sleep Number Beds. But, we have found them to be pretty high maintenance. Maybe we just got the lemons with problems. It will pay big dividends to visit a showroom and ask a lot of questions about the models you are considering. It is a big investment.
    Last edited by gjnl; 03-19-2019 at 10:09 AM.

i wouldnt go with c series, look at p series. we love our SL.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Blog Entries
    Yeah, the P8 looks pretty plush. I am going to the SN store in the mall to take a look and try out some options to see what I need.

great choice
    Quote Originally Posted by Donno View Post
    Yeah, the P8 looks pretty plush. I am going to the SN store in the mall to take a look and try out some options to see what I need.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

are those sleep number beds long lasting
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Quote Originally Posted by wheelin 48 View Post
    are those sleep number beds long lasting
    From the Consumer Search website: https://www.consumersearch.com/mattr...p-number-bed-0
    "Sleep Number mattresses last a long time, since nearly any problem with the bed can be fixed with a replacement part. This includes not only mechanical parts like air pumps but also fixed parts like foam toppers. On average, owners keep their Sleep Number beds about 10 years, although at least one in five say their beds have suffered from some type of durability problem, such as leaking air chambers or controller malfunctions."

That would be our experience. We have had our beds since 2008, and you can read above, the maintenance it has required. From other research, I've read the average person replaces their bed (not Sleep Number) every 7-10 years. The difference is about the only maintenance a regular bed requires is occasional vacuuming and turning. NL vacuums the air bladders and toppers about every six months. Sleep number beds can't be turned or flipped. Since we have two extra long twins, NL rotates our beds when she vacuums (she puts her bed on my side of the room and mine on her side of the room. The beds are positioned side by side.).