Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder recovery...

Shoulder recovery...

For those who have had shoulder surgery, what was the recovery time?
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

Here are a couple threads I found that talk about shoulder surgery recovery:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC219629/

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...oulder+surgery

There are many more, I just got through two pages where shoulder or shoulder surgery were found. My search term was "shoulder surgery." Search box below and to the right of the Care Cure Community banner. Search doesn't work really well, but somehow I got a lot of hits.

Quote Originally Posted by WheelieMike View Post
    For those who have had shoulder surgery, what was the recovery time?
    This is a current quote from a friend whose AB husband had the surgery in November: "... He's only half way there in my opinion, he needs much better range of motion and strength. He can lift the arm himself a little more than half way..." and "... I figure it may take a year before he gets full use or as much as he is going to
    get.... "
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Rotary Cuff Surgery

You didn't specify what kind of shoulder surgery you were going to have but I posted this several years ago.

Ti
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

An orthopedic doctor without much experience saw my MRI and immediately recommended shoulder replacement without discussion of complications. I got a second and third opinion from surgeons. They both said a shoulder replacement is indicated by the MRI but don't recommend it for someone in my situation. The main reason has to do with re-injury during rehab. You can't use your shoulder at all for at least 2 months. Then limited use for several more months. It would take just one bad move to make it worse.

Even if rehab/injury went perfectly well, they doubted that my shoulder strength would ever be what I am seeking. In other words, the reward is low and the risk is high. I am going to do everything I can before even considering a shoulder surgery.

If you are considering a lesser surgery (like debridement), it may require a much shorter rehab and recovery period, like several weeks instead of several months.

it really depends on the type of shoulder surgery. It can be anywhere from a month or two to a year.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

It sounds like damned if you do, damned if you don't.

That's about it Mike; damned if you do or don't. I don't know anyone who had shoulder surgery not be in the same or worse condition 3 years later. We were a pretty active bunch though. I chose not to have it done. That was 20 years ago. Still doing okay and riding the handcycle, in the gym and still active.

I'm still getting around ok, I can still handcycle both in house and on the road. I'm just constantly sore/stiff, with sharp pains with certain movements, and definitely weaker shoulders.

I had rotator cuff surgery December 4th with 2 tendons repaired. First 4 weeks in a sling and then next 8 weeks with only passive stretching and range of motion. After 12 weeks everything seemed to really move ahead and I could start resistance excercises and start wheeling my chair again. Now I have no pain and pretty well full range of motion back. I'm working on strength now.
    The surgeon told me it would be 6 months before most strength returns and probably up to a year for the full affect.
    It does depend on what type of surgery you have and the state of your shoulder. My PT said they were conservative with my program as my shoulder joint showed some softness so they wanted to make sure everything healed.