Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost my furry companion Friday

Lost my furry companion Friday

Companions can be helpful regardless of size. My 2lb guinea pig, Barley was a great companion. He visited senior neighbors and they loved him. One of his last visits was with someone who had just turned 99. She doesn't remember the name guinea pig but calls him the little animal. We were joined by an even older person who enjoyed my little guy. B is 102 and still going strong and she also enjoyed her visiting time with him. My little guy visited many from the time he was 4 months old. He would lay in his carry basket for a very long time letting people stroke his fur and rub behind his ears. A guinea pig may look like a small animal and they are but unlike other pets that get lumped into the category pocket pet they have a ton of personality and recognize people. They also play with toys and provide a ton of entertainment. I will never forget the Christmas he got a plastic house and the first morning it was in with him he had managed to pull one of his stuffed animals in it with him. He loved to sleep with his stuffed animals. How he got that little teddy bear in there I never figured out.

Always difficult to lose our loyal furry companions.

Sorry.

I can't tell you how sorry I am, Reader. The love of a companion animal is open-hearted - I'm reminded of a widely published prayer, "God, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am." And for "dog," we can substitute any companion animal who's ever shared his/her goodness with us. Positive interactions with humans, such as Barley shared with you and your senior neighbors, enrich them in the same ways. I wish you comfort.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

That is the one thing I worry about, though my cat is still young. When I am struggling or stressed she will lay next to my head and put her paw on my face and pur so comforting

So sorry reader. I've had many guinea pigs in my life and some more interesting than others. Several were so loaded with character it was just silly. Fun people and cuddly. I could stuff them inside my shirt, though messes were a risk!

Quote Originally Posted by Lavender lady View Post
    That is the one thing I worry about, though my cat is still young. When I am struggling or stressed she will lay next to my head and put her paw on my face and pur so comforting
    I know what you mean. And there's no way to prepare yourself, even though you know what's coming someday.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

I had a couple real personable guinea pigs and I gave up on them because of the short life span (~5yrs)

If they lived longer, postponing the loss, I'd get another.
    Sorry for your loss, I understand. Still miss the chatter and the frisking.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Human reasoning can differ so much. When I was young my friends folks gave him a rat for a pet. their reasoning was the short life span would help him"get used to" and understand death.

Sorry to hear that. It's always hard losing a pet, the companionship/joy they give is heavily underrated imho. When I was a kid and we lost our first dog & first cat I got upset when a few weeks later my Mom brought home a new pet... I recall telling her couldn't we wait longer? (Thinking like have we forgotten our old pet already?) And she just looked at me, smiled and told me we'll always love the past pet... but there's always going to be another puppy/kitty/other in need of a loving home just like our past pet did, what better way to honor your love of the past pet than to provide another little fur face a chance at a happy loved life? And inevitably my Mom had always picked some little one that was bound for the pound or euthanasia. So hopefully in a little time you'll be ready to give a new fur face a good life. Until then smile that you gave your lost friend a loved life.

I'm so sorry for your lost. I can understand how you feel since I lost my cat recently. I believe they are in a better place now.