Thread: The shoulder blade that wings out in the back

The shoulder blade that wings out in the back

Anyone else have issues with a shoulder blade that wings out in the back? Mine is getting worse and the only thing that has helped recently has been grabbing a loop of tubing in each hand from a reclined position and pulling them apart. Sitting up thats a chest exercise but from a recline with the tubing is working shoulders. Any other suggestions would be most welcome.

Basically this is a posture problem. Mine is linked to a corkscrew curve in my lower back and. yes, exercises help. So does a bit of marijuana before sleep.

Hi Reader

Doing what you are describing (pulling resistance bands apart i.e. a Reverse Fly) while seated also works your back/shoulders, it is NOT a chest exercise. Now depending on your function, it may be difficult to do it seated because of balance/core strength.

It can be a posture issue, but it can also be due to weakness/atrophy on that side of the body

I will try to get a video up this week on our YouTube Channel showing this exercise and some variations.

Neuro Ex YouTube Channel
    Last edited by Snowman; 03-25-2019 at 01:23 PM.

Eric Harness, CSCS
    Founder/President
    Neuro Ex, Inc
    Adaptive Performance and Neuro Recovery

I finally got the video uploaded, sorry for the delay. It will be a multi part video. Part 1 focuses on the Rhomboids.

https://youtu.be/D6vG8ypP8XM
    Last edited by Snowman; 04-15-2019 at 10:23 PM.

Eric Harness, CSCS
    Founder/President
    Neuro Ex, Inc

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reader View Post
    Anyone else have issues with a shoulder blade that wings out in the back? Mine is getting worse and the only thing that has helped recently has been grabbing a loop of tubing in each hand from a reclined position and pulling them apart. Sitting up thats a chest exercise but from a recline with the tubing is working shoulders. Any other suggestions would be most welcome.

As a half c4, that side elbow I can no longer pull into my torso. Can't lay on that side with my elbow down, my arm must be up. Just seems unavoidable without back ligaments to pull the shoulder blade back in.

I have this issue with my left shoulder blade, and when I lie on my back to bench press I always do an exercise where I hold the bar fully extended and lower and raise it slightly using my shoulder blades? It seems to have strengthened the muscles that help hold the scapula in place, as I haven't had any trapped nerve issues around that scapula since I began the exercise?

Quote Originally Posted by james15985 View Post
    I have this issue with my left shoulder blade, and when I lie on my back to bench press I always do an exercise where I hold the bar fully extended and lower and raise it slightly using my shoulder blades? It seems to have strengthened the muscles that help hold the scapula in place, as I haven't had any trapped nerve issues around that scapula since I began the exercise?
    Yes that is a great exercise for the Serratus Anterior which helps hold the scapula to the ribcage. The Serratus is the muscle that looks like several large ribs just under the armpit area of bodybuilders or other musclular athletes.

Eric Harness, CSCS
    Founder/President
    Neuro Ex, Inc