Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AD in ER

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    I had a similar experience feb. 11 this year. I had a clog catheter at night and was suffering AD with it. So I went to the ER close to me. And like the past they make me wait two hours to see me. Then once they take me back into the ER they start taking tons of blood. I told them i just need a catheter change and i will be on my way. But they said the doctor needs blood work. So they took blood work and then came back for more fifteen minutes later. Then took me to another room to change catheter. I asked the nurse if i can stay in my chair he said no. And my head was killing me. Then he starts changing the foley and tells me the only foley he has left is a 16fr or 20fr. So I asked him if their was much different in size. He said very little. So I said 20fr.. Which made it worse. Once changed the came in with xray machine for chest xray. Then tells me the doctor order me to stay the night. I told them i eant to leave. They said I need to talk to him. I bitched for the night nd the next day to talk to him and did not get to see him until the next day. So I spent a day and a half in there for no reason. And they had me hooked up to three different biotics. Then on Wednesday I saw him and told him I was leaving and he wanted me to stay. I told him you people here don't know how to tret people in my condition and if i stay you will kill me. When i went in i didn't have a urine infection my blood work showed that. My urologist looked over the test they took and said the same thing. Plus my insurance company said the same thing and refuse to pay the bill. Over 21000.00.
    There are a lot of lessons to be learned from this type of experience.
    1. An emergency room isn't probably the best place to go if you know your autonomia is caused by a clogged catheter and you know you need a catheter change.
    2. A better option than the emergency room of a hospital is an urgent care 24 hour facility. If you know you need a catheter change, take your own type and size with you, possibly even take all supplies necessary to change a catheter, lubricant, syringes to deflate and inflate balloon, betadine wipes etc.
    3. A better option than the urgent care facility would be to train a friend or relative who can do this change for you on an emergency basis.
    4. In lieu of a friend or relative, investigate signing up with care service like Bright Star or Home Instead Caregivers who can send out a nurse or nurses aid in an emergency, usually within 2 hours.
    5. Follow up with your own doctor after having the emergency catheter change so he can check for stones or other problems that may be causing catheter clogs.

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    I know what u mean I went 1 time to er they tried the same stuff I was telling them change to cathe me I would be ok and then we change cathe they started same stuff I said no no luckily for me a nurse had google it went got a cathe and instant relief dr came in and said well.. good deal still over to much $$ smart nurse fruastrating
    I have gone to this ER several times over the years for the same problem and they never done that before. But they have always made me wait two the three hours before changing foley.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    There are a lot of lessons to be learned from this type of experience.
    1. An emergency room isn't probably the best place to go if you know your autonomia is caused by a clogged catheter and you know you need a catheter change.
    2. A better option than the emergency room of a hospital is an urgent care 24 hour facility. If you know you need a catheter change, take your own type and size with you, possibly even take all supplies necessary to change a catheter, lubricant, syringes to deflate and inflate balloon, betadine wipes etc.
    3. A better option than the urgent care facility would be to train a friend or relative who can do this change for you on an emergency basis.
    4. In lieu of a friend or relative, investigate signing up with care service like Bright Star or Home Instead Caregivers who can send out a nurse or nurses aid in an emergency, usually within 2 hours.
    5. Follow up with your own doctor after having the emergency catheter change so he can check for stones or other problems that may be causing catheter clogs.
    Thank you for the great advise. The problem with 24 hour clinics in my area have told me they don't do foley changes. But maybe I should call a few more.
    Family and friends are out. My nurse that replaces the foley every four weeks said i can call her. But I can't, I hate feeling like I am putting somebody out. I am weird that way.
    And I really appreciate your advise. I know you know your stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    Thank you for the great advise. The problem with 24 hour clinics in my area have told me they don't do foley changes. But maybe I should call a few more.
    Family and friends are out. My nurse that replaces the foley every four weeks said i can call her. But I can't, I hate feeling like I am putting somebody out. I am weird that way.
    And I really appreciate your advise. I know you know your stuff.
    Certainly this doesn't happen a lot and if you have discussed this with your caregiver, she is probably being sincere when she says she is willing to help, and would appreciate a generous tip for helping you out. You aren't putting someone out when you are paying them well for their service. It seems a no brainer to ask someone with whom you have a working relationship to help and pay some out of pocket, rather than facing a fight with your insurance company over a $21,000 hospital bill! Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Certainly this doesn't happen a lot and if you have discussed this with your caregiver, she is probably being sincere when she says she is willing to help, and would appreciate a generous tip for helping you out. You aren't putting someone out when you are paying them well for their service. It seems a no brainer to ask someone with whom you have a working relationship to help and pay some out of pocket, rather than facing a fight with your insurance company over a $21,000 hospital bill! Yikes!
    you're probably right. But she at a time in her life she doesn't work a lot, because she doesn't need to.

if I have to call my caregivee I pay her double for her time but I can talk just about anyone thru a change I keep supplies in my van when I travel I keep extra u just never know joys of quad life or sci period

You need to have a few different options in place to help you deal with this in the future. ER's are not equipped to just change catheters -

1. if Urgent Care is not an option, than you need to have another option in place, such as what was mentioned above.
    2. you need a primary doc for your SCI that, in the case you do need to be admitted, he/she can do so.
    3. keep extra supplies handy.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.