Thread: Another level of member login

Another level of member login

I tried unsuccessfully to find a thread where this question would be appropriate.

Sometimes, when I open CareCure without logging in?it is usually on my cell phone--I find it particularly soothing that the Politics and Religion posts don?t show up. These forums are dominated by the same 10 are 15 people hurling insults at each other. When I am a visitor, I do not have to rely on my willpower overcoming my curiosity to keep me from looking at these posts. But, of course, I cannot post on other topics without logging in.

Would it be possible to have another level of member login to not have access to the Members Only forms? This could be useful not only for members with weak self-discipline (like me), but also underage members who should be able to post but probably not look at much of what is in the Members Only forums.

Quote Originally Posted by endo_aftermath View Post
    I tried unsuccessfully to find a thread where this question would be appropriate.

Sometimes, when I open CareCure without logging in?it is usually on my cell phone--I find it particularly soothing that the Politics and Religion posts don?t show up. These forums are dominated by the same 10 are 15 people hurling insults at each other. When I am a visitor, I do not have to rely on my willpower overcoming my curiosity to keep me from looking at these posts. But, of course, I cannot post on other topics without logging in.

Would it be possible to have another level of member login to not have access to the Members Only forms? This could be useful not only for members with weak self-discipline (like me), but also underage members who should be able to post but probably not look at much of what is in the Members Only forums.
    We are constantly promised that a new and improved Care Cure Community is coming soon, coming soon, coming soon ............coming soon..........coming sooooon. Maybe your concern will be heard. Meanwhile, I think it is a situation of a new and improved website is coming, but certainly don't hold your breath. That said, I fully understand that this website keeps going on by the dedication of a few key members and an administrator who have complications in their lives, just like all of us. But so much here is broken, that there is a great risk of membership interest falling off because of all of the features that are broken. Good luck Steven and Jim.

I'm not sure what the problem is? I too share your view of what the politics forum is, and feel that of those 10 people probably a good eight of them are simply trolling the other side.

Unlike you I feel no urge whatsoever to look at the politics forum, but if I one day I give up on life and decide to partake in the hate-fest I don't want to have to have a super duper membership or log in twice.

I personally think things like our politics forums should be treasured. There's too much censorization of people these days especially when people get their blood boiling over political stuff. There are few places where one can truly say what you feel, and the fact that the politics forum is members only makes it more difficult to google, and thus harder to access for employers/FBI/Hillary's-sex-slave-cult-members to find, unlike facebook and various other easily accessible information.

I say let the politics forum live so the hatred can continue to simmer... obviously there's a part of you that wants to dive on in with them, endo...

completely agree about the politics forum which is why i extremely rarely even read anything there. don't like it don't read it.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Presumably, you can put a member on "Ignore," and presumably, you won't see any posts they make. However, if someone quotes a post of a person on "Ignore," you'll probably see the quote with the post reply made by someone else. That said, it would be nice to put whole threads on "Ignore." Better yet, make the Politics and possible the Religion and Spirituality forums moderator approved forums like Men Only, Women Only and Caregivers.

We have been without a moderator for the Politics forum for quite sometime. Lynnifer was going to do that before she died. Personally, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole, and regret the day that Wise set it up.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    We have been without a moderator for the Politics forum for quite sometime. Lynnifer was going to do that before she died. Personally, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole, and regret the day that Wise set it up.

(KLD)
    Not to be pejorative KLD, but many, many, many of the original moderators who were chosen by Wise in the beginning have died or have faded off into the distance and are not pulling there weight as moderators here. The realities are people like yourself are left to try to make up the difference, but that isn't fair to you or all of the very few moderators left here. As and when the new and improved VBulletin site evolves or gets transferred to another service, Wise needs once again to get involved and make this site whole again. Right now this site is failing from lack of support from Wise. Or Wise needs to give Jim some authority to remove the dead and the ineffectual from this site and input some new blood of people (moderators) who really care about what is going on here.

My hope is that you have the ear of Wise to improve this site with moderators as the site is improved with technology. They go hand in hand to make this site viable again.

It is quite sad that Wise doesn't seem to have any interest in this very important part of SCI awareness.

Does it really take that much willpower to avoid the politics section?

I say if people want to wallow in that, let them have at it. It's kind of nice to have a section of this forum where anything goes.

Maybe just include a warning not to enter if you're don't want to be offended rather than the current "express your views respectfully" tag.

I'm almost certain that there is a vbulletin.org hack that lets a member exclude forums from searches like new posts or todays posts. I think I added it to a forum I ran in about 2005,simple template mod I think.