Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UTI with no symptoms

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Holding it in for 12 hours even if it's a small amount may be the cause of a UTI. Recommended cathing period is 4 hours.
    I think it depends on the situation. If I had botox or was on meds and could hold 700-800cc without leaking, then I would not want to go 12 hours between cathing. But I know numerous people that don't take bladder meds/botox that use a leg bag full time and cath a few times a day, some not at all, for 10 - 20+ years. I think as long as your are drinking lots of water, and the urine is moving through and out of the bladder throughout the day, its fine. My urologist doesn't have an issue with doing this.

EDIT: Mize beat me to it.

I would think since you use a condom cath and leg bag that when you do cath twice a day, you said the volume was only 70cc's, you do that more for peace of mind. there is certainly not any danger of pressure at that volume I would not think.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad09 View Post
    I think it depends on the situation. If I had botox or was on meds and could hold 700-800cc without leaking, then I would not want to go 12 hours between cathing. But I know numerous people that don't take bladder meds/botox that use a leg bag full time and cath a few times a day, some not at all, for 10 - 20+ years. I think as long as your are drinking lots of water, and the urine is moving through and out of the bladder throughout the day, its fine. My urologist doesn't have an issue with doing this.

Holding it in for 12 hours even if it's a small amount may be the cause of a UTI. Recommended cathing period is 4 hours.
    I would agree with this. I have no sensation from the chest down (nipple level) but on occasion my left foot and right hand will twitch which indicates the start of a UTI. I do self cath 5-6 times over a 24 hour period with 24 hour output seldom under 1300cc. Many times at night when I cath I'll get out 500 cc's. Daytimes I might only get out 60-70 cc from one setting. I believe the less urine sits in the bladder/kidneys the less chance of infection. I started doing self cath in 78 and it took several years to train the bladder, no surgery or medication was used and still isn't. Good luck!
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

Quote Originally Posted by Brad09 View Post

I agree that it depends on the situation. I can get away with longer periods between caths under certain situations (taking bladder meds, central depressant meds, alcohol, and probiotics). Having said that, it most certainly is the case that the longer you hold it in the the greater the chances of bacteria growth.

I agree that it depends on the situation. I can get away with longer periods between caths under certain situations (taking bladder meds, central depressant meds, alcohol, and probiotics). Having said that, it most certainly is the case that the longer you hold it in the the greater the chances of bacteria growth.
    True, but for me my bladder voids on its own every 30 min to an hour. As soon as I hit around 70cc, it comes out. The same urine isn't sitting in my bladder for very long.

It sounds like you have a colonization. As far as your overactive bladder symptoms, perhaps you should eliminate the possibility that there is something going on mechanically inside the bladder, so ask your Uro to perform a cystoscopy. One symptom of a cyst on your bladder wall is hyperactivity, for example.

Has your Uro ever prescribed you Methenamine Hyprate? This may help in keeping the colonization numbers down and may even help with the hyperactivity.

You have a full time job you sound worried about, so if you have exhausted all of your options and are still dealing with a limited capactity and bladder spasms, you may actually be a good candidate for a bladder augmentation procedure.
    No one ever became unsuccessful by helping others out

How is the UTI doing?
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

Urodynamics testing is what is needed to determine if holding 12 hours is ok. It is an individualized test. for some it is okay to hold for 12 hours if you are voiding and voiding pressure is not too high. Some residual left in then emptied every 12 hours. The other choice would be to take medication so you don't void/leak and do cath.
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I sent in for a urine sample like this when I was somewhat symptomatic but not full-blown UTI symptoms. Of course it came back positive and they put me on macrobid which I picked up today. Since waiting for the results I do feel like I have gotten a full-blown UTI with symptoms. The sediment in my urine changed as well. Should I go ahead and take the macrobid or convince them to take another sample to make sure it is sensitive to Macrobid. I have a feeling they are going to say finish the macrobid before testing. Is it possible to get a different UTI bug that is resistant to the same antibiotic? It just worries me. Never will I ever again send a urine sample in unless I have every symptom I normally get
    Marie
    Unbroken by the grace of God

Quote Originally Posted by quadmarie View Post
    I sent in for a urine sample like this when I was somewhat symptomatic but not full-blown UTI symptoms. Of course it came back positive and they put me on macrobid which I picked up today. Since waiting for the results I do feel like I have gotten a full-blown UTI with symptoms. The sediment in my urine changed as well. Should I go ahead and take the macrobid or convince them to take another sample to make sure it is sensitive to Macrobid. I have a feeling they are going to say finish the macrobid before testing. Is it possible to get a different UTI bug that is resistant to the same antibiotic? It just worries me. Never will I ever again send a urine sample in unless I have every symptom I normally get
    You should never take an antibiotic for a urinary tract infection unless first you have the results of a C&S (Culture and Sensitivity urine test). That said, the exception is when you have an agreement with your physician to start Macrobid to help calms symptoms while waiting for the results of a C&S and then switch to the most effective antibiotic as indicated by the Sensitivity portion of the test when the results are available. From what you have said, it doesn't sound like you had a C&S so you don't know the real nature of the bacteria or what is the most effective antibiotic. If you are going to submit another urine specimen for testing, don't take the Macrobid because is will effect the results of the test.
    Last edited by gjnl; 07-03-2019 at 06:32 PM.