Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Airline wheelchair damage data

My point is these post scare people in to not wanting to travel its a bunch of data that means nothing to use as customers that fly.

Control what one can control...

Airline chair damage statistics

Thanks to Tammy Duckworth airlines now must report the number of chairs and mobility scooters they damage. Some airlines are really bad and some are much better. Total was almost 2000 chairs busted in 3 months. Check the graphic before deciding which airline you fly with.

http://www.newmobility.com/2019/04/a...d-wheelchairs/

Quote Originally Posted by Tetracyclone View Post
    Thanks to Tammy Duckworth airlines now must report the number of chairs and mobility scooters they damage. Some airlines are really bad and some are much better. Total was almost 2000 chairs busted in 3 months. Check the graphic before deciding which airline you fly with.

http://www.newmobility.com/2019/04/a...d-wheelchairs/
    If you dont want to travel or fly I 100% get it but dont put a report out that 1st means nothing and 2nd is irrelevant.

The report is flawed, its also not public knowledge to report damage and someone is encouraging to report cosmetic damage which doesn't have to be fixed.

Its amazing how many in our community think that everyone that they come in contact with understands our mobility or complex rehab chairs and how they work.

I also think we forget how complicated some of the newer models are or worse yet how fragile come of the older units are.

I can tell you 1st hand how many people I run in to or see 1st hand just leave there chairs with anyone and just roll away in a airline wheelchair.

So no instructions on how the chair works, no information about what is needed to move it, free wheel it, seat back fold down instructions, even leaving personal things on it that should have been removed.

Now toss more gas on the fire if its a 3rd party company that does the check in of luggage at curb or at the ticket counters down stairs.

So ground crews loading the chair have to waste time figuring it out, get rushed because its about that plane leaving the gate on time so they dont get penalized.

Perfect example I fly a lot sometimes monthly only with Southwest airlines and have been for 20 years.

Many times I fly with 2 full power chairs a Rehab Permobil F3 and an off road Frontier x5 for beach time and supercross events and never have issue.

I also work with many to fly successfully.

Do things happen...of course but control what you can and know all chairs are fixable.

My dad scratches my chair every time I visit him and he puts it in the trunk of his car. Less damage from the airlines.

Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post
    If you dont want to travel or fly I 100% get it but dont put a report out that 1st means nothing and 2nd is irrelevant.

The report is flawed, its also not public knowledge to report damage and someone is encouraging to report cosmetic damage which doesn't have to be fixed.

Its amazing how many in our community think that everyone that they come in contact with understands our mobility or complex rehab chairs and how they work.
    Do things happen...of course but control what you can and know all chairs are fixable.
    i have flown a lot with my tilite. I've been fortunate to miss damage and I give clear instructions with the chair. I disagree that the data is useless- We can inform ourselves about which airlines do better in general, and the airlines themselves will use them to improve their performance. A competent CEO at either Southwest or American will want to find out why his/her airline does so poorly. If data collection is flawed at other airlines he will want that well-known as well. The process will be useful.