Thread: Home made carbon fiber sideguards?

Home made carbon fiber sideguards?

Sideguards are pretty simple things it seems. With my next chair I will be getting the regular tilite sideguards, but I am considering buying some carbon fiber plate of appropriate thickness and trimming this to the profile of the wheels.

it seems like it would be a relatively simple process to cut it to shape and drill a few holes for the screws to mount it to the chair... right?

ive never really worked with carbon fiber before, so maybe I?m underestimating the difficulty. I assume you could use a bandsaw to cut the carbon fiber as if it was a piece of wood.

anybody done something like this before?

the upgrade cost from aluminum to carbon fiber sideguards is over $100 and then it?s not profiled to the actual chair.

Blog Entries
    Absolutely. I've ordered sheets of CF from Dragonplate and cut them with a jigsaw. Bandsaw would be even better. Sand and use automotive door trim rubber to finish. Wear a mask while trimming and sanding.
    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Which automotive door trim rubber have you had the most success with? and where are you sourcing them?
    thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Absolutely. I've ordered sheets of CF from Dragonplate and cut them with a jigsaw. Bandsaw would be even better. Sand and use automotive door trim rubber to finish. Wear a mask while trimming and sanding.

I cut down the factory Ti sideguards and used the U shaped black edging I bought to guard the edges of car doors from getting nicked or damaging another's paint.
    I'd Google it OR I have a lot left!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Trim Loc is what's on the factory Tilite side guards. You can get it on amazon.

Blog Entries
    MATCC from Amazon. I used extra epoxy, too. It slid down after a while from pushing down on the guards/wheels during lifts and transfers.

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    Which automotive door trim rubber have you had the most success with? and where are you sourcing them?
    thanks.

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

What thickness of carbon fiber did you use, oddity? And how much did it cost?

Blog Entries
    For side guards I got a two 1/8" 12x12 solid CF weave plates for about $75, and the seat pan was cut from a 5/32" 24X24 birch core CF laminate plate which cost about $200. This was ~5 years ago.
    Last edited by Oddity; 03-18-2019 at 09:24 AM.

I got the ti lite but dam if I can get the screw to work thry sent to short but they say correct ones