Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: van verse car

Found this vintage video on You Tube. Thirty-six years ago, when I got my first van, a Ford Econoline, this was the type of lift the converter put in. It was called a Golden Boy. The conversion included lowering the floor behind the front seats a bit so I didn't struggles ducking my head out the door like the fellow in the video. Thirty-six years ago was before the advent of the "compact car" parking space. The van could park in a full sized parking space with a car next to it and still swivel out with some room to spare between the lift and the car beside the van. Thirty-six years ago, not many parking garages could accommodate the height of the full sized van. Six feet, eight inches was about the best accommodation you could get. Now most garages have at least one section that will accommodate over seven feet. But, I find being restricted to one section of a garage is inconvenient, if all the handicapped spaces there are occupied. I prefer the mini van that allows access to other parts of a garage with more handicapped spaces available.

I don't know why the swivel lift was discontinued.

The Golden Boy Wheelchair Lift

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYXvKJx-oU8

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    , I find being restricted to one section of a garage is inconvenient, if all the handicapped spaces there are occupied. I prefer the mini van that allows access to other parts of a garage with more handicapped spaces available.
    Good point. The size also means I can't park it in my own garage and it is more difficult to maneuver. It gets 11 mpg, which is terrible. But I still prefer a full size van over a minvan because of the ramp for several reasons: 1) The purpose of the van is to spare my shoulders so I prefer a lift over a ramp, 2) you will spill things on your lap going up a ramp but not a lift, 3) kneeling system = more parts = less reliability, and 4) the cost of the minivan conversion is lost with the van. Let's say you pay $20K for the minivan conversion and the van gets totaled. You are out not only the cost of the minivan but also the $20K cost of the conversion. If you rely on insurance, your premiums are way higher. With a full size van and no collision insurance (obviously has to be an older one to pass on the collision coverage), the money I save in just a few years on my insurance premiums (several thousand dollars) provides enough funds to move the lift to a different van.

I would chose a minivan if it had a lift.

I like that. Gives more parking options. You may still find a similar lift made by Braun. They are discontinued but I have seen newer vans that have them for sale.
    Last edited by August West; 03-14-2019 at 04:44 PM.

Not quite following you on the first setup; you talking about an outside under-lift maybe? Not a whole lot of move around space in the back of a truck.

I have a power chair I use when I plan on boatloads of rolling like the State Fair or something, or if I plan on going offroad a bunch. Just not my everyday use chair and wouldn't want to limit my driving to "only" a power chair usage. This could change if/when I have to move to power only later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Automotive Innovations View Post
    how about a truck you use a lift to get in on the passenger side, go through the back seat and seeing as you don't want to drive from a wheelchair slide over into a transfer seat.

also why not drive from a power wheelchair that has a seat similar or identical to a quality drivers seat?
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

I agree! When I was shopping, I test "rode" as a front passenger in all 3 brands of minivans, all of them '16 models. The T&C still rode like a truck just like my '05 T&C, I couldn't believe they still find that acceptable over 10 years later. The Honda was the smoothest with the Toyota just below it, Toyota has best acceleration. My tie-breaker, the upper end converted Honda's lost all the front cupholders, still had 2 in the Toyota.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Speaking of riding like a postal truck, I rode in a Town and Country conversion as a passenger sitting in the back seat just to evaluate the ride. It was loud and rough. Couldn't even sit comfortably without having to brace myself. I think it was 5 years old. My Econoline that is 27 years old has a much smoother and quieter ride.

That was a sweet looking setup, big parking space saver for sure. Maybe they were too limited in the length of chairs it could handle and still swing ya out the door and lost market, especially with power chairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Automotive Innovations View Post
    also why not drive from a power wheelchair that has a seat similar or identical to a quality drivers seat?
    Because your upper torso, neck, and shoulders have restricted range of motion. Doesn't matter for driving. But matters otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
    Not quite following you on the first setup; you talking about an outside under-lift maybe? Not a whole lot of move around space in the back of a truck.

I have a power chair I use when I plan on boatloads of rolling like the State Fair or something, or if I plan on going offroad a bunch. Just not my everyday use chair and wouldn't want to limit my driving to "only" a power chair usage. This could change if/when I have to move to power only later on.
    you got it.

passengers side uvl.

its a pretty slick set up. if its ok with the owner i'll more than likely do some video of him getting in, out, locking down and driving.
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

How about an unmodified minivan with Adapt Solutions XL board and a Speedylift? They’re on YouTube.

Found this vintage video on You Tube. Thirty-six years ago, when I got my first van, a Ford Econoline, this was the type of lift the converter put in. It was called a Golden Boy. The conversion included lowering the floor behind the front seats a bit so I didn't struggles ducking my head out the door like the fellow in the video. Thirty-six years ago was before the advent of the "compact car" parking space. The van could park in a full sized parking space with a car next to it and still swivel out with some room to spare between the lift and the car beside the van. Thirty-six years ago, not many parking garages could accommodate the height of the full sized van. Six feet, eight inches was about the best accommodation you could get. Now most garages have at least one section that will accommodate over seven feet. But, I find being restricted to one section of a garage is inconvenient, if all the handicapped spaces there are occupied. I prefer the mini van that allows access to other parts of a garage with more handicapped spaces available.

I had two of the swing-out lifts. They were great!
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

seems the toyota and pacifica are populer any reason dodge caravans arent mentioned much arent they kinda the same as a pacifica just not as fancy
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]