Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY repairs

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    virtually all chips are dead reliable. Failure is usually water intrusion or something dumb happened upstream like a slob with a DMM shorted a leg.
    Electronics at the microprocessor end are real reliable;
    Components are reliable IF operated strictly within their specified safe operating areas. Expose a component to the outside world and suddenly that reliability goes out the window. Note that "the outside world" is anything that can be electrically reached -- so, a conductor coming in through a connector exposes everything on that conductor to whatever the outside environment presents. (three connectors on this joystick control) Likewise, everything that can be effectively translated into an electrical manifestation (like a motor failure being reflected back into the drive electronics).

power end of the board things get sketchy, mostly from problems not on the boards like failed wiring, switches, motors seizing/overloading.
    In this particular case, a failed onboard switcher. Either some part of its load was "exposed" (to something against which it wasn't protected) or it was just one of the routine failures that "just happen" (the bathtub curve doesn't go to "zero" between its extremes). I wasn't concerned with the why -- as long as it was nothing "obvious" -- as it wouldn't be possible to reconstruct the past history of the particular control in enough detail to come to any meaningful conclusions.

In the future, I may leave instructions that certain bits of kit be stripped from chairs that are headed to the tip to build up a supply of spares (of course, that means finding space to store/accumulate such things -- that's been disallowed, in the past).

To tell the truth, except for my ZX1, I have no desire to deal with power chairs. My main electronic pursuits are (good) two channel audio including a couple types of tangential turntables (Yamaha and B&O), whatever has a problem in the house, and automotive (but not much since I retired and closed shop).
    Tangential turntables get the same blame a lot of engine management systems: "it's the godamned chip" (microprocessor)
    And, the answer is usually "not" (the "computer box" or the chips), but something simple like a cracked solder, and in the case of 40 year old audio, failing caps.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

To tell the truth, except for my ZX1, I have no desire to deal with power chairs. My main electronic pursuits are (good) two channel audio including a couple types of tangential turntables (Yamaha and B&O), whatever has a problem in the house, and automotive (but not much since I retired and closed shop).
    I only tinker with powerchairs to keep them out of the "scrap metal" pile. They take up a lot of space so there is a huge temptation to just toss them out if there is the slightest problem with them. I probably see one a week and may be lucky to have time for half that!

Tangential turntables get the same blame a lot of engine management systems: "it's the godamned chip" (microprocessor)
    I think a lot of software/system problems get blamed on "the chip". To be fair, it's probably the device that most folks would associate with those types of "problems". For example, the whole idea of it even being POSSIBLE to "brick" a device is just plain silly, to me (lack of foresight on the part of the designers).

[As an aside, I have a rescued Beogram 8000 sitting in a box, here, that I've not had a chance to look at in a decade or more (I haven't had the time to mess with any vinyl in at least that long!)]

And, the answer is usually "not" (the "computer box" or the chips), but something simple like a cracked solder, and in the case of 40 year old audio, failing caps.
    With ROHS I'm finding a lot more "brittle" connections (so worthwhile to have a good stock of 60/40 on hand despite the push away from it)

Also a fair number of failed connectors (improper strain relief, folks tugging on cords instead of connector shells, etc.)

With power supplies, I encounter lots of thermal failures, opened FETs, etc. Of course, I can't see the rationale behind a particular design choice so I can't tell if this is a design problem (i.e., likely to repeat) or just a "fluke". Restore it to the original intended condition and hope for the best...

8000/8002 tables are iconic and great!
    My go-to table is an 8002 I re-capped, reflowed, etc. I've rebuilt a couple others. My fantasy is that I will rebuild the 3 8002s and one 8000 and get rich on eBay
    But I can't get motivated anymore! I also have a pair of Yamaha PX-2s which need very little work to sell but they're keeping the B&Os company....as well as the Tandberg 3001. 2, 3 trio!
    Let me know if you need something-I have a lot of parts.
    I'm so sick, I even purchased a Soundsmith "the Voice" for the 8002. It sure sounds good!
    NW NJ

8000/8002 tables are iconic and great!
    I dunno. I was commenting to a friend, ages ago, that I had to buy a turntable so I could finally listen to (and digitize) ~200 bootlegs and he offered this to me. It's been sitting in its box for all these years (if you've ever "converted" -- to digital -- albums, you'll understand why I'm not EAGER to take on that task! Almost as bad as scanning photographs!! ). Box claims it's a "Beogram 8000 Type 5613". No idea if it even has a cartridge&stylus...

My go-to table is an 8002 I re-capped, reflowed, etc.
    I went a-googling for differences between the 8000 and 8002 and found this (https://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/9235.aspx). Which includes a reference to "Microprocessor out of production and failure will deadline the entire unit." I guess that's the basis of your earlier comment that folks blame "the chip" for failures. (I will have to take a peek at the internals to see which processor is used and, perhaps, capture the software from it so I can "emulate" it if it ever does fail) I suspect one could "build" a replacement tacho disk with a laser cutter (?)

(N.B. I suspect you are user "pfcs49" appearing a bit further down in that thread?)

I've rebuilt a couple others. My fantasy is that I will rebuild the 3 8002s and one 8000 and get rich on eBay
    Ah, well... the only GOOD fantasies are the ones that have some chance of becoming realities! So...

But I can't get motivated anymore!
    That's unfortunate -- though perhaps understandable. I find that a "passion" goes a long way to improving my outlook -- perhaps simply by keeping me razor focused on one thing to the exclusion of all those other things!

I also have a pair of Yamaha PX-2s which need very little work to sell but they're keeping the B&Os company....as well as the Tandberg 3001. 2, 3 trio!
    It is relatively easy to accumulate a backlog (of "whatever"). There simply are never enough hours in the day to do the things that want/need/demand to be done! And, as I get older, it's hard to remember that the number of "tomorrows" is considerably less than there were when those projects first appeared on The List! (so, I focus on the things that bring the most joy/satisfaction)

Let me know if you need something-I have a lot of parts.
    Thanks, you may motivate me to actually open the box and see how big a project lies ahead of me. OTOH, I may end up CURSING you for doing so!

I'm so sick, I even purchased a Soundsmith "the Voice" for the 8002. It sure sounds good!
    Cassette decks were my "obsession". I have a Nak 1000II, a TD1200 and a pair of Dragons. But, "digital" is so much more convenient that I've not used any of them in ages! Amusing how your priorities change, eh? On the up-side, it's considerably easier to transfer vinyl to digital than it was to transfer to tape! (play the album once and just tweek levels in post-processing instead of having to adjust them in real-time onto tape).

Don't think Ii'd ever digitize my vinyl. When CDs appeared ~1983, I had a pretty great collection of great music, some of which never was digitized.
    Why would someone abandon vinyl if your vinyl setup worked real well and you had a huge investment in LPs?
    At some point I will have to downsize my rig and sell off all the tables and discs, when we move from this barn to an apartment deal.
    Until then, I'm in musical abundance!

PS: I have a rather high end 3 head Onkyo cassette deck that I put away ~10 years ago.
    Two Dragons? Sheesh!

I also have 2 Squeezebox Touch and 3 SB Radios which access a lot of digital media including Spotify.
    At 71 yoa, it sounds OK but no match for a good source through Krell and B&Ws
    NW NJ

Don't think Ii'd ever digitize my vinyl. When CDs appeared ~1983, I had a pretty great collection of great music, some of which never was digitized.
    I'm a bit more than a decade "behind" you so much of my vinyl was "survivors" of college days. Cassettes offered the portability that vinyl lacked so I "standardized" on that medium (hence the 4 Nak's). The vinyl that I bought got copied onto cassette and then "archived" (I can tell you how many PLAYS each album saw, in its lifetime, as I was keen on not having to drag them out, again, once transferred to tape).

Moving to CDs was relatively easy -- except for the live/bootleg recordings and the bootleg vinyl. And, from there, to other "digital players".

Why would someone abandon vinyl if your vinyl setup worked real well and you had a huge investment in LPs?
    In my case, the LPs were largely "played out" ("starving college student" budget for gear) and I could transfer the new (replacement) LPs onto cassette using gear that friends had (bigger social circle when you're in college/recent grad -- and, folks still placing value on "music" before they got too old to care!).

At some point I will have to downsize my rig and sell off all the tables and discs, when we move from this barn to an apartment deal.
    Until then, I'm in musical abundance!
    I had to lose my Jensen Imperials when I moved, here. (women have unusual ideas as to what constitutes "furniture"! <frown>) The vinyl is hidden away lest it, too, be considered as "junk".

The advantage of digital music is that I can store so much of it on something that fits in a shirt-pocket!

PS: I have a rather high end 3 head Onkyo cassette deck that I put away ~10 years ago.
    Two Dragons? Sheesh!
    "Priororities" -- A. Bunker

I also have 2 Squeezebox Touch and 3 SB Radios which access a lot of digital media including Spotify.
    At 71 yoa, it sounds OK but no match for a good source through Krell and B&Ws
    I do most of my listening in the car or in my office (which is sorely space constrained). And, treat the content as "background filler" -- I haven't "listened" to music since I was in college. This goes a long way to biasing your "standards" (when the music has to compete with the noise from the computers' fans...).

I have several "Chumby's" that I'm repurposing for another use. And, I rescued a SqueezeBox 3rd (minus remote) that I'm setting up to replace my other half's "mini stereo" (one of those "all in one" boxes that tries to do everything -- poorly!). I have to rewrite the software so that the SB behaves like the old "stereo" (and uses the same remote!) lest she complain that it's yet another "new" thing for her to learn. The SB is a nice small form factor so I'm hoping it will be less clutter than the larger "mini stereo". Then, I'll chase down a second one to replace the other (identical) ministereo in the family room...

[I have a low power server hiding under a dresser that runs 24/7/365 to service MY needs so I could just let it host her music, as well]

But, I only have to have that finished & in place BEFORE the CD changer in her stereo craps out -- AGAIN! (I'm tired of fixing it... after 30 years, you'd think she would WANT to "move on"!)