Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: question about botox-please share your experiences w/me!

I've had the same Uro since my sci, so he knows me well, having done scoping on me numerous times and I never had any reactions.(I'm incomplete)

I've always just had it done in his office w/o any anesthesia, well they do inject some Lidocaine for a few minutes beforehand, and it has always been painless. Watching it on the monitor, it is a pretty hardcore bunch of injections being jabbed in there, so you do want to be careful. He was one of the Uro's that did the Trial to get Botox approved with Medicare, so he does a lot of them. Next time I'll have to ask him what his ratio of patients is who need anesthesia.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Just have your uro mix some lidocaine with saline and inject into your bladder in order to "splash" the bladder walls. It will numb the walls, so that when they inject the botox, you won't get a large AD response.

I've had it done twice. The first time lasted a while, and then I did it again, but perhaps too soon. I've read that in some cases, one can build resistance to the botox. So, I figured I would "save" the next couple of botox treatments for later years. In any case, you probably want to separate the treatments (get the botox, but then don't get the next one until the first is completely out of your system, which could take as long as a year or more). Obviously, this is my experience and YMMV.
    No one ever became unsuccessful by helping others out

quadriplegics who might go in to AD need general. Many urologist do in their office.
    We usually have general or spinal or something-at a VA. and same as surgery work up. urine must be totally clean so antibiotics before hand. So it depends on your surgeon, your SCI etc... Especially first time.
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I've had this procedure done going back almost 10 years when I was a participant in the clinical trials leading up to FDA approval. I am a T4 complete and the cystoscopy (with a metal, not flexible scope) is a certain AD trigger for me. Is the AD so serious that could not survive the procedure without anesthesia and not stroke out, maybe. But why take the risk?

Funklab: I don't understand why you mentioned where your cord ends as relevant to the decision to receive anesthesia. It's the lesion level that's relevant. Common SCI knowledge is that SCIs at the T6 level and higher are susceptible to AD. Were you trying to make a different point? Learn me.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Funklab: I don't understand why you mentioned where your cord ends as relevant to the decision to receive anesthesia. It's the lesion level that's relevant. Common SCI knowledge is that SCIs at the T6 level and higher are susceptible to AD. Were you trying to make a different point? Learn me.
    My only point was that there's radiologic evidence that it is complete (which the first urologist had access too). Doctors are trusting and all, but few would take a patient's word that their injury is complete. If you risk being sue for millions if your patient has AD and dies on the table, there's ample reason to assume the worst and treat defensively (in this case with general anesthesia). We do live in America after all. If the radiologic evidence shows that there is no cord past where my fracture is at T11, my urologist can be pretty certain he's not going to start shoving tubes up my urethra and poking holes in my bladder and suddenly find some preserved sacral nerve function that I didn't know about or tell him about that sends me off into a fatal case of AD and then my tearful loved ones sue him for all his malpractice insurance is worth.

Consider yourself learnt!