Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question about botox-please share your experiences w/me!

question about botox-please share your experiences w/me!

yikes!! I'm considering a botox injection, and have read about it being done as a simple procedure in the doctor's office or in the hospital under general anesthesia, and everything in between. who has had this done, and under what kind of circumstances??
    "courage is fear that has said its prayers"

Botox for what? Your bladder? Skeletal muscles (for spasticity)? Cosmetic? You need to be a little more specific.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

bladder
    "courage is fear that has said its prayers"

So what you've read is correct. I gather most people (including most SCI, but definitely all non neurogenic folks) have general anesthesia.

For myself personally, which you should in no way base your decisions on, I have been able to convince three different urologists/anesthesiologist combinations with varying success to let me go without anesthesia. I am quite sure that I have a very complete spinal cord injury, no glimmer or hint of a partial injury and I have an MRI that shows my spinal cord pretty clearly ending around T10 or so on the scans. I don't need anesthesia. Every urologist has been on board with this, and one agreed to do it in the office without an anesthesiologist present (though we were in a large 800 bed hospital that had plenty of resources should I start to freak out and feel pain... how wonderful that would be...). Most urologists have insisted that an anesthesiologist be present, though I have been able to talk my way out of any sort of general anesthesia, though if an anesthesiologist or nurse anesthetist is there they are going to insist on having a boat load of drugs ready to go at a moments notice.

If you have any sensation whatsoever below your injury level you probably need general anesthesia. If you have a higher injiury (T6 or above) and are at risk for autonomic dysreflexia you need general anesthesia. Basically the odds are pretty low that you can get away with what I got away with, and I had to do a lot of convincing of healthcare providers to get the lack of intervention (I am a healthcare provider myself, but that only partially helped).

Essentially a urologist is going to jam a big, thick metal rod up your urethra into your bladder and make 10 or 20 injections into the muscle of your bladder (I forget how many they actually do). If you have any sensation, you do not want to feel that. If what should be pain at levels below your injury manifest as anything (pain, sweating, increased heart rate, etc) you DO NOT want to experience that while conscious.

I had the procedure done by two different urologists. Neither balked at skipping the anestesia. In fact, it was never even discussed. We all just assumed it was unnecessary. I don't like it when doctors get all procedure happy for no reason other than protocol. Of course, I understand their liability issue. But if you have been a patient for a while, they should know better because they should know YOU better.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    I had the procedure done by two different urologists. Neither balked at skipping the anestesia. In fact, it was never even discussed. We all just assumed it was unnecessary. I don't like it when doctors get all procedure happy for no reason other than protocol. Of course, I understand their liability issue. But if you have been a patient for a while, they should know better because they should know YOU better.

As someone who is all for skipping anesthesia when it's not necessary, I'd gamble that the majority... if not the vast majority of SCIers need it for an invasive procedure like this. Impossible for either of us to judge since Jennypenny didn't fill out her profile with level of injury, but it's reckless to assume it's unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    Impossible for either of us to judge since Jennypenny didn't fill out her profile with level of injury, but it's reckless to assume it's unnecessary.
    Her profile is complete, and indicates she has a C5 injury. For those subject to autonomic dysreflexia (most people with injuries at T7 or above) either general or spinal anesthesia may be needed for any cystoscopic procedure, including botox injections.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    As someone who is all for skipping anesthesia when it's not necessary, I'd gamble that the majority... if not the vast majority of SCIers need it for an invasive procedure like this. Impossible for either of us to judge since Jennypenny didn't fill out her profile with level of injury, but it's reckless to assume it's unnecessary.
    My whole point is that if the doctor knows you well, then it's not an assumption. It's a fact that was already established beforehand.

I've had it done nine times and it was always under general anesthesia
    T4 complete since 30 April 2012

T6 complete, never had anesthesia with botox ONLY because I've never had AD.