Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: C-5/6 complete - early retirement with long term disability insurance?

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    It may not be in your best interest to pursue the SCI as the disability. You may be better off pursuing the disability claim through secondary conditions. Because that way it's not a preexisting condition perse. For example, if you worked for 20 years with a SCI, then they'd make the case that you can continue to work with an SCI. They'd be right and you'd be at a loss to fight that. But if your doctor says that certain conditions (like autonomic dysreflexia, intractable spasticity, bone fractures, skin breakdown, neurogenic bladder and bowel) have reached a state that are disabling, they really can't use against you the fact that you worked with an SCI for 20 years. Because it's not the SCI perse that is the reason for the disability claim. Know the rules and be honest and you shouldn't have a problem. Try to pull a fast one and you'll be in for a losing fight.

This was my main question too. I've worked 15+ years for my employer (all since my SCI), and so my thoughts have always been, how suddenly would my SCI become "disabling". But as you mentioned, I imagine at some point sitting up in my chair the length of time I must now, may be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    This was my main question too. I've worked 15+ years for my employer (all since my SCI), and so my thoughts have always been, how suddenly would my SCI become "disabling". But as you mentioned, I imagine at some point sitting up in my chair the length of time I must now, may be an issue.
    Correct. Let's compare SCI that leads to medical complications to faulty household wiring that leads to a fire. The fire insurance company won't pay to fix the wiring. But they will pay to repair the fire damage. The analogy is that the injury is like the faulty wiring (not covered) and the medical complications from the injury are like the fire damage (covered by insurance). If you have skin issues and your doctor says you can sit up for no more than 2 hours at a time, then that is justification for a disability claim. Whether it is 100% or some lower percentage of disability is to be determined. But from what you are saying, you are like me. You wouldn't let that stop you if you had a choice and you'd prefer to work longer until there are more (several?) issues that prevent you from working at all. Personally, 50% disability would be a terrible situation for anyone with a higher education and a profession. Because you're not going to find a half-time job like that. Then how do you survive on 30-35% (they pay 60-70% of the 50%)? If you are able to find a job that pays enough at 20 hours per week, then that's a different story. But that's unlikely.

It's unfair of them to force you to take any job just because your disability isn't 100%. A good policy will require you to seek employment only within your field. Of course, the requirement to seek employment doesn't apply if your disability is 100%.
    Last edited by August West; 03-14-2019 at 05:59 PM.