Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home surveillance system

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Home surveillance system

We're looking for a security camera system for the house. I want at least 4 cameras that are wired and I would like to have audio on the cameras if possible. I want to spend less then $500-ish. Any recommendations?

Thanks...

PS I want a hard drive to record on instead of cloud storage.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    We're looking for a security camera system for the house. I want at least 4 cameras that are wired and I would like to have audio on the cameras if possible. I want to spend less then $500-ish. Any recommendations?
    Presumably, you want to record the exterior environs and not stuff inside? Are you content with fixed cameras? Or, do you want/need PTZ capability?

What sort of image (and audio) fidelity? How far do you want to be able to see "in the dark" (or will you locate each camera near a motion sensor floodlight)?

How much video (time) do you want to be able to record?

What are you hoping to capture -- a neighbor's pet "littering" your lawn or a local urchin vandalizing your house?

Exterior, fixed cameras, 720-1080 video & decent audio, less than 75 feet night vision, and record for 4-7 days. I want to see who and what comes onto my ramp and the houses wrap around porch both day and night. Audio isn't a must but if I can get it without spending a lot I would like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    Exterior, fixed cameras, 720-1080 video & decent audio, less than 75 feet night vision, and record for 4-7 days. I want to see who and what comes onto my ramp and the houses wrap around porch both day and night. Audio isn't a must but if I can get it without spending a lot I would like it.
    If you rely on the infrared (Ir) emitters IN the camera to illuminate the field, you will find 75 feet to be a tall order -- think more along the lines of 20 ft for most (affordable) cameras. Note, also, that many of those cameras will be providing monochrome imagery in "night mode".

If someone is being surreptitious, you're unlikely to capture any audio from them unless they happen to be right at the camera (microphone).

In addition to cutting down your storage requirements, you may want to find cameras (or "controller") that implement motion sensing algorithms and only record when they see something "happening". These differ from the motion sensors that are present in "security lights" in that they actually LOOK at the video image and watch for changes in it -- signs that "something has moved". You typically define a region of the image that you want to "watch" so the camera/system can ignore areas that might have motion that is not of interest to you (e.g., if the camera can see traffic driving by your house but YOU aren't really interested in that "activity").

An advantage of of this capability is the camera/system can alert you to this "activity" -- so you don't have to browse through 24 hours of video to see what's happened in the last 24 hours!

You may want to spend your money on the cameras instead of on a "system" -- $500/4 gives you a decent budget PER CAMERA; trying to include a "controller" as well means you'll be skimping on cameras (poor video quality, poor reliability). (You can buy cameras for as little as $25 but you may discover you're not happy with their quality or reliability!)

You can DIY a "system" in a number of ways. How the (wired, in your case) cameras connect to the controller is the key difference among them.

You can use (USB) "web cams" but these need to be located close to a computer. So, this really only works if all of your cameras are clustered (around a single computer) -- OR, if you can locate small computers (if you know what a raspberry pi is) near each and then push the video stream out over a network connection.

You can use IP (Internet Protocol) cameras which are essentially cameras with little computers built in (as above) to push the video to a centrally located computer over network connections.

You can use cameras with conventional (RS170-ish) "video output" cabled (coax) to a controller which has a "video interface" for each camera.

In each case, the "controller" can just be a PC running "video surveillance" software; the video is then stored on the computer's hard disk.

You will also have to decide how convenient you want the setup and maintenance of the system to be (money vs. time). E.g., I'm wiring up a small system (3 cameras) next week where much of the "smarts" resides in the cameras (motion detectors) and the "controller" just has to act as a recorder. But, this requires having physical access to the cameras to push the buttons to configure those settings that are IN the camera each time I want to change them (we had several of these lying around which made the decision easier ).

http://www.specotech.com/index.php/p...m/67-cvc627scs

For a low end system, you can look at things like Harbor Freight's offering (4 camera "systems" for ~$250) but caveat emptor.

Ask yourself if you really are looking for an "investment" or just trying to get an general/crude idea of what's going on, outdoors, before you commit to a solution.

One box solution (choice of dome or standard cameras): https://www.amazon.com/Reolink-Surve.../dp/B016UCNP3A

Price is around $410 with the regular lightning deals and has lots of positive feedback on both Amazon US & Amazon UK sites.

Reolink website: https://reolink.com/product/rlk8-410b4/

The app on my android phone is excellent so I can see the cameras at anytime (using 4G etc). The motion sensing is pretty accurate too so I've set it up to do this rather than continual recording. Pretty cheap cameras and easy to setup using PoE Cat 5 cable.

Quote Originally Posted by sarcastrix View Post
    The app on my android phone is excellent so I can see the cameras at anytime (using 4G etc).
    I would seriously "think twice" before enabling any "remote viewing". Doing so means allowing "remote access". That means potentially exposing EVERYTHING on your internal "Intranet" to the outside world -- unless you want to remain forever vigilant (i.e., checking for vulnerabilities that are discovered from hence forward).

Spend a bit of time with your favorite search engine looking for "vulnerabilities" for your particular make/model before going that route. Also look at the manufacturer's past history, in that regard (it's too easy to reuse portions of previous designs when creating new products and this leads to the same mistakes/vulnerabilities being perpetuated in "new" models)

Quote Originally Posted by automation View Post
    I would seriously "think twice" before enabling any "remote viewing". Doing so means allowing "remote access". That means potentially exposing EVERYTHING on your internal "Intranet" to the outside world -- unless you want to remain forever vigilant (i.e., checking for vulnerabilities that are discovered from hence forward).
    Someone has their silver foil hat on

If a teenager (or the govt) in China want to "hack" my cameras to watch my driveway or the dog crapping in the garden, they are more than welcome. I'd rather be alerted to someone stealing my cars or breaking into the house when I'm away.

Quote Originally Posted by sarcastrix View Post
    Someone has their silver foil hat on

If a teenager (or the govt) in China want to "hack" my cameras to watch my driveway or the dog crapping in the garden, they are more than welcome. I'd rather be alerted to someone stealing my cars or breaking into the house when I'm away.
    You're thinking incredibly naively. The days of hackerrs just trying to cause mischief for INDIVIDUALS (e.g., by erasing your hard drive or stealing your address book) are decades past.

No one really gives a damn what goes on in your house -- except google, of course (but for different reasons; they're trying to HELP you! <rolls eyes>)!

But, your camera(s) -- and other bits of "smart technology" -- are ripe for lending beachheads to malware that can interact with other devices IN YOUR HOUSE (like your PC's). Would you let that chinese hacker sit in your bedroom with full access to your network, indefinitely, patiently and single-mindedly looking for exploits in the other deviecs that you have attached to it?? Why would you let him sit in your CAMERA??

Also, they can be used to create botnets that then are deployed to attack specific targets (how'd you like to discover that YOUR camera played a role in attacking your BANK?) A worthwhile read: https://www.wired.com/story/reaper-i...lion-networks/

A bit of time researching how attacks and exploits have been deployed IN THE PAST might cause you to invest in some tinfoil of your own!

Recall, there's no "antivirus" software for your camera(s), thermostat, etc. And, are you sure their firmware is up-to-date? Even if so, google "zero day exploit" and wonder why YOU will be the lucky soul who is NOT hacked.

[Hint: I design this sort of stuff for a living. The number of exploits that you don't hear about -- cuz your more interested in football/basketball scores -- is staggering. And, where there's evidence of ONE flaw in a design, there are likely many MORE!]

From https://www.vdoo.com/blog/working-wi...olink-cameras/:

Researching the Reolink RLC-410 video surveillance camera, bashis has discovered and disclosed 3 vulnerabilities ? a command injection remote-code execution vulnerability requiring authentication and two stack-overflow vulnerabilities. The vulnerabilities, which appear to be relevant to multiple Reolink camera models, were responsibly disclosed to the vendor.
    From https://github.com/threat9/routersploit/issues/242:

List of vulnerabilities & exploits

• Intellinet NFC-30IR Camera - Multiple Vulnerabilities
      Netwave IP Camera - Password Disclosure
      Komfy Switch with Camera DKZ-201S/W - WiFi Password Disclosure
    • AVTECH IP Camera, NVR, and DVR Devices - Multiple Vulnerabilities
      VideoIQ Camera - Local File Disclosure
      Vanderbilt IP-Camera CCPW3025-IR / CVMW3025-IR - Local File Disclosure
    • JVC IP-Camera VN-T216VPRU - Local File Disclosure
      Honeywell IP-Camera HICC-1100PT - Local File Disclosure
    • MESSOA IP-Camera NIC990 - Authentication Bypass / Configuration Download
      SIEMENS IP Cameras (Multiple Models) - Credential Disclosure / Configuration Download
    • Vanderbilt IP-Camera CCPW3025-IR / CVMW3025-IR - Credentials Disclosure
      MESSOA IP Cameras (Multiple Models) - Unauthenticated Password Change
    • JVC IP-Camera VN-T216VPRU - Credentials Disclosure
      TOSHIBA IP-Camera IK-WP41A - Authentication Bypass / Configuration Download
    • Honeywell IP-Camera HICC-1100PT - Credentials Disclosure
      SIEMENS IP Camera CCMW1025 x.2.2.1798 - Remote Admin Credentials Change
    • SIEMENS IP-Camera CVMS2025-IR / CCMS2025 - Credentials Disclosure
      Samsung Smart Home Camera SNH-P-6410 - Command Injection
    • Multiple JVC HDRs and Net Cameras - Multiple Vulnerabilities
      Merit Lilin IP Cameras - Multiple Vulnerabilities
    • TH692 Outdoor P2P HD Waterproof IP Camera - Hard-Coded Credentials
      Brickcom Corporation Network Cameras - Multiple Vulnerabilities
    • Axis Network Cameras - Multiple Vulnerabilities
      PLANET Technology IP Surveillance Cameras - Multiple Vulnerabilities
    • ADH-Web Server IP-Cameras - Multiple Vulnerabilities
      TP-Link NC200/NC220 Cloud Camera 300Mbps Wi-Fi - Hard-Coded Credentials
    • Keeper IP Camera 3.2.2.10 - Authentication Bypass
      Security IP Camera Star Vision DVR - Authentication Bypass
    • IPUX CS7522/CS2330/CS2030 IP Camera - 'UltraHVCamX.ocx' ActiveX Stack Buffer Overflow
      IPUX Cube Type CS303C IP Camera - 'UltraMJCamX.ocx' ActiveX Stack Buffer Overflow
    • IPUX CL5452/CL5132 IP Camera - 'UltraSVCamX.ocx' ActiveX Stack Buffer Overflow
      TRENDnet SecurView Wireless Network Camera TV-IP422WN - 'UltraCamX.ocx' Stack Buffer Overflow
    • Foscam IP Camera - Predictable Credentials Security Bypass
      Vivotek IP Cameras - RTSP Authentication Bypass
    • Loftek Nexus 543 IP Cameras - Multiple Vulnerabilities
      Hikvision IP Cameras 4.1.0 b130111 - Multiple Vulnerabilities
    • TP-Link TL-SC3171 IP Cameras - Multiple Vulnerabilities
      FOSCAM IP-Cameras - Improper Access Restrictions
    • Airlive IP Cameras - Multiple Vulnerabilities
      MayGion IP Cameras Firmware 09.27 - Multiple Vulnerabilities
    • Zavio IP Cameras Firmware 1.6.03 - Multiple Vulnerabilities
    • IPUX Cube Type CS303C IP Camera - 'UltraMJCamX.ocx' ActiveX Stack Buffer Overflow
      IPUX CL5452/CL5132 IP Camera - 'UltraSVCamX.ocx' ActiveX Stack Buffer Overflow
    • IPUX CS7522/CS2330/CS2030 IP Camera - 'UltraHVCamX.ocx' ActiveX Stack Buffer Overflow
      TRENDnet SecurView Wireless Network Camera TV-IP422WN - 'UltraCamX.ocx' Stack Buffer Overflow
      TP-Link IP Cameras Firmware 1.6.18P12 - Multiple Vulnerabilities
    • D-Link IP Cameras - Multiple Vulnerabilities
      StarVedia IPCamera IC502w IC502w+ v020313 - 'Username'/Password Disclosure
    • D-Link DCS Cameras - Multiple Vulnerabilities
      Vivotek Cameras - Sensitive Information Disclosure
    • TRENDnet SecurView Internet Camera - UltraMJCam OpenFileDlg Buffer Overflow (Metasploit)
      TRENDnet SecurView TV-IP121WN Wireless Internet Camera - UltraMJCam ActiveX Control OpenFileDlg WideCharToMultiByte Remote Stack Buffer Overflow
    • Cisco Linksys WVC200 Wireless-G PTZ Internet Video Camera PlayerPT - ActiveX Control PlayerPT.ocx sprintf Buffer Overflow
      Multiple Trendnet Camera Products - Remote Security Bypass
    • RXS-3211 IP Camera - UDP Packet Password Information Disclosure
      Camtron CMNC-200 IP Camera - Authentication Bypass
    • Camtron CMNC-200 IP Camera - Undocumented Default Accounts
      Camtron CMNC-200 IP Camera - ActiveX Buffer Overflow
    • Camtron CMNC-200 IP Camera - Directory Traversal
      Intellinet IP Camera MNC-L10 - Authentication Bypass
    • ARD-9808 DVR Card Security Camera - Arbitrary Config Disclosure
      Camera Life 2.6.2b4 - Arbitrary File Upload
    • Camera Life 2.6.2 - 'id' Parameter SQL Injection
      AXIS Camera Control (AxisCamControl.ocx 1.0.2.15) - Buffer Overflow
    • Sony Network Camera SNC-P5 1.0 - ActiveX viewer Heap Overflow (PoC)
      D-Link DCS-900 Camera - Remote IP Address Changer Exploit
    • Axis Network Camera 2.x And Video Server 1-3 - virtualinput.cgi Arbitrary Command Execution
      Axis Network Camera 2.x And Video Server 1-3 - Directory Traversal
    • Axis Network Camera 2.x And Video Server 1-3 - HTTP Authentication Bypass
      Linksys Web Camera Software 2.10 - Next_file Parameter File Disclosure
    • Axis Network Camera 2.x - HTTP Authentication Bypass

If you're more technically inclined https://jumpespjump.blogspot.com/201...and-found.html:
    Last edited by automation; 03-12-2019 at 01:34 PM.

You're thinking incredibly naively. The days of hackerrs just trying to cause mischief for INDIVIDUALS (e.g., by erasing your hard drive or stealing your address book) are decades past.

No one really gives a damn what goes on in your house -- except google, of course (but for different reasons; they're trying to HELP you! <rolls eyes>)!

But, your camera(s) -- and other bits of "smart technology" -- are ripe for lending beachheads to malware that can interact with other devices IN YOUR HOUSE (like your PC's). Would you let that chinese hacker sit in your bedroom with full access to your network, indefinitely, patiently and single-mindedly looking for exploits in the other deviecs that you have attached to it?? Why would you let him sit in your CAMERA??

Also, they can be used to create botnets that then are deployed to attack specific targets (how'd you like to discover that YOUR camera played a role in attacking your BANK?) A worthwhile read: https://www.wired.com/story/reaper-i...lion-networks/

A bit of time researching how attacks and exploits have been deployed IN THE PAST might cause you to invest in some tinfoil of your own!

Recall, there's no "antivirus" software for your camera(s), thermostat, etc. And, are you sure their firmware is up-to-date? Even if so, google "zero day exploit" and wonder why YOU will be the lucky soul who is NOT hacked.

[Hint: I design this sort of stuff for a living. The number of exploits that you don't hear about -- cuz your more interested in football/basketball scores -- is staggering. And, where there's evidence of ONE flaw in a design, there are likely many MORE!]

From https://www.vdoo.com/blog/working-wi...olink-cameras/:

From https://github.com/threat9/routersploit/issues/242:

List of vulnerabilities & exploits

• Intellinet NFC-30IR Camera - Multiple Vulnerabilities
      Netwave IP Camera - Password Disclosure
      Komfy Switch with Camera DKZ-201S/W - WiFi Password Disclosure
    • AVTECH IP Camera, NVR, and DVR Devices - Multiple Vulnerabilities
      VideoIQ Camera - Local File Disclosure
      Vanderbilt IP-Camera CCPW3025-IR / CVMW3025-IR - Local File Disclosure
    • JVC IP-Camera VN-T216VPRU - Local File Disclosure
      Honeywell IP-Camera HICC-1100PT - Local File Disclosure
    • MESSOA IP-Camera NIC990 - Authentication Bypass / Configuration Download
      SIEMENS IP Cameras (Multiple Models) - Credential Disclosure / Configuration Download
    • Vanderbilt IP-Camera CCPW3025-IR / CVMW3025-IR - Credentials Disclosure
      MESSOA IP Cameras (Multiple Models) - Unauthenticated Password Change
    • JVC IP-Camera VN-T216VPRU - Credentials Disclosure
      TOSHIBA IP-Camera IK-WP41A - Authentication Bypass / Configuration Download
    • Honeywell IP-Camera HICC-1100PT - Credentials Disclosure
      SIEMENS IP Camera CCMW1025 x.2.2.1798 - Remote Admin Credentials Change
    • SIEMENS IP-Camera CVMS2025-IR / CCMS2025 - Credentials Disclosure
      Samsung Smart Home Camera SNH-P-6410 - Command Injection
    • Multiple JVC HDRs and Net Cameras - Multiple Vulnerabilities
      Merit Lilin IP Cameras - Multiple Vulnerabilities
    • TH692 Outdoor P2P HD Waterproof IP Camera - Hard-Coded Credentials
      Brickcom Corporation Network Cameras - Multiple Vulnerabilities
    • Axis Network Cameras - Multiple Vulnerabilities
      PLANET Technology IP Surveillance Cameras - Multiple Vulnerabilities
    • ADH-Web Server IP-Cameras - Multiple Vulnerabilities
      TP-Link NC200/NC220 Cloud Camera 300Mbps Wi-Fi - Hard-Coded Credentials
    • Keeper IP Camera 3.2.2.10 - Authentication Bypass
      IPUX Cube Type CS303C IP Camera - 'UltraMJCamX.ocx' ActiveX Stack Buffer Overflow
    • IPUX CL5452/CL5132 IP Camera - 'UltraSVCamX.ocx' ActiveX Stack Buffer Overflow
      MayGion IP Cameras Firmware 09.27 - Multiple Vulnerabilities
    • Zavio IP Cameras Firmware 1.6.03 - Multiple Vulnerabilities
    • IPUX Cube Type CS303C IP Camera - 'UltraMJCamX.ocx' ActiveX Stack Buffer Overflow
      IPUX CL5452/CL5132 IP Camera - 'UltraSVCamX.ocx' ActiveX Stack Buffer Overflow
      TP-Link IP Cameras Firmware 1.6.18P12 - Multiple Vulnerabilities
    • D-Link IP Cameras - Multiple Vulnerabilities
      StarVedia IPCamera IC502w IC502w+ v020313 - 'Username'/Password Disclosure
    • D-Link DCS Cameras - Multiple Vulnerabilities
      Vivotek Cameras - Sensitive Information Disclosure
    • TRENDnet SecurView Internet Camera - UltraMJCam OpenFileDlg Buffer Overflow (Metasploit)
      TRENDnet SecurView TV-IP121WN Wireless Internet Camera - UltraMJCam ActiveX Control OpenFileDlg WideCharToMultiByte Remote Stack Buffer Overflow
    • Cisco Linksys WVC200 Wireless-G PTZ Internet Video Camera PlayerPT - ActiveX Control PlayerPT.ocx sprintf Buffer Overflow
      Multiple Trendnet Camera Products - Remote Security Bypass
    • RXS-3211 IP Camera - UDP Packet Password Information Disclosure
      Camtron CMNC-200 IP Camera - Authentication Bypass
    • Camtron CMNC-200 IP Camera - Undocumented Default Accounts
      Camtron CMNC-200 IP Camera - ActiveX Buffer Overflow
    • Camtron CMNC-200 IP Camera - Directory Traversal
      Intellinet IP Camera MNC-L10 - Authentication Bypass
    • ARD-9808 DVR Card Security Camera - Arbitrary Config Disclosure
      Camera Life 2.6.2b4 - Arbitrary File Upload
    • Camera Life 2.6.2 - 'id' Parameter SQL Injection
      AXIS Camera Control (AxisCamControl.ocx 1.0.2.15) - Buffer Overflow
    • Sony Network Camera SNC-P5 1.0 - ActiveX viewer Heap Overflow (PoC)
      D-Link DCS-900 Camera - Remote IP Address Changer Exploit
    • Axis Network Camera 2.x And Video Server 1-3 - virtualinput.cgi Arbitrary Command Execution
      Axis Network Camera 2.x And Video Server 1-3 - Directory Traversal
    • Axis Network Camera 2.x And Video Server 1-3 - HTTP Authentication Bypass
      Linksys Web Camera Software 2.10 - Next_file Parameter File Disclosure
    • Axis Network Camera 2.x - HTTP Authentication Bypass

If you're more technically inclined https://jumpespjump.blogspot.com/201...and-found.html:

That kind of thinking really holds people back.

Anything tied to the internet can be hacked just change the default passwords and move on.

We have cameras, security systems, phones, tablets, computers, nest, refrigerators, the list goes on and on and our life is fine and very accessible now with technology!

Most people can do their own research for the specific situations. I do not know you, but have learned just to skip your cut-and-paste posts.

If your network is secure your cameras are secure. No other point to make. If your cameras are on your network and your network is secure, then your cameras are secure.

Without cut-and-paste logic. :-)