Thread: Ideal footrest clearance

Ideal footrest clearance

Hello, I got a new footrest and the instructions recommend a full 2" off the ground. This felt very high and I experienced some pins and needles in my toes maybe from lack of circulation. I am 6' 2" and have fairly long legs - my front chair height is 20".

I lowered the rest to 1.5" and now trying 1.25" - is there a normal height that works best?

Thank you!

Not exactly sure. But I suppose the 2" clearance is to prevent bottoming out. For example, a door threshold. If you don't have a problem, don't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    Hello, I got a new footrest and the instructions recommend a full 2" off the ground. This felt very high and I experienced some pins and needles in my toes maybe from lack of circulation. I am 6' 2" and have fairly long legs - my front chair height is 20".

I lowered the rest to 1.5" and now trying 1.25" - is there a normal height that works best?

Thank you!
    When you are tall getting adequate footrest to floor clearance is nearly impossible. I have a Permobil m300 power chair and it is a daily struggle to get adequate access under tables and desks, even though I have raised these pieces of furniture in my home to allow access.

At least on the power chair, I have a tilt feature, so when I am out running around, I can get adequate clearance. But, if you have a manual chair, you footrest clearance is fixed. At 6' 3" tall, I have a back of knee to heel (sole of shoe) of 22.5 inches. Add the structure under beneath the foot rest and when I want to sit at my desk, the maximum I clearance I can have is about 7/8" Wheelchair are just not made for tall people.

Best you can do is find a clearance height that works, most of the time. One thing is sure, you can't sit with your knees too high. If you do, you are looking for pressure trouble. I have a Roho cushion that is 3" thick. I could get more clearance if I could go to a lower profile cushion, but seating clinics have recommended against that results of pressure mapping.

Yes, those are felt pads on the bottoms of the plastic bumpers. NL got a bit peeved with drag marks on the hardwood floors. Yes they do get rubbed off occasionally, but I buy them in quantity to have replacements...makes for a peaceful home.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post

Thank you!
    Ultimately the front seat to floor height your chair was setup with will determine your footplate height, unless you change cushions at some point, based on the height of your legs from knees to footplate. I'm 6' 2" as well and set my chair up with 1" of clearance under the lowest part of my foot plate. This puts the top of my knees at 26" off the ground with shoes on. It's worth it to me to sacrifice some clearance under the footplate for the added clearance under tables, etc. Door thresholds aren't an issue because either my casters roll over them, lifting the footplate, or I have to wheelie over them to get the casters over anyway.The only problem are objects narrower than the width between your casters. For me that's my kid's/dog's toys. If they are narrow enough I can line them up between my casters and footplate and roll past them. If not, I just wheelie over them. It doesn't happen a lot and has become second nature at this point.