Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: florida living......

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    I can tell you these are not garden spots or desirable places to live.

1. Taft
    2. Ridgecrest
    3. Holtville
    4. Coalinga
    5. Imperial
    6. Firebaugh
    7. Willows
    8. Blythe
    9. Kingsburg
    10. Hanford
    I agree. Quality of life in those areas is pretty poor. Very hot summers, cold windy winters for the most part...and a long way from the ocean. In addition, a consideration, especially when retiring or getting older with a SCI, is access to quality medical care; physicians and hospitals, etc. I can tell you that most of the communities above are virtually without quality medical services within their their close geographic area.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    honestly its no worse than my area. around tampa there are alot of sci resources... im sure we will need to educate any new doctor, just like here. cool thing is my mom/dad are moving too.
    Tampa is the location of one of the largest of the VA SCI Centers, and they work closely with the medical and nursing schools at University of South Florida and their medical facilities, as well as Tampa General Hospital. I know several non-veterans in chairs in the greater Tampa area and they tell me that they have access to good medical care from SCI-knowledgeable providers.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Chatsworth looks good from a location perspective and I like that the street pattern indicates that it is *flat*. Florida was nice in the winter, otherwise not so much from my experience.
    Chatsworth is flat and so is most of San Feranando Valley. Other parts of San Fernando Valley that offer a good quality of life with affordable real estate include West Hills and Woodland Hills. These two are a few miles closer to the ocean. They are close to some of the best medical care in the world.

Of course there are pros and cons for most locations. I grew up in Pennsylvania and moved to Orlando in 1995. Loved the flatness and accessibility. Weather is hot and a little less hot. Moved to the panhandle in 2000 and we have four seasons with a short winter and a steady breeze off of the Gulf. Getting ready to retire soon we are deciding where we want to live. As much as I love the Gulf side we ruled out the Tampa and the Port Charlotte area. Too far south and the Red Tide this year was brutal. After 7 or 8 trips we will probably land in St. Augustine. Four season climate, lots to do and pretty good infrastructure. If possible rent in the area you are considering and see what its like during the busy season. The tax break for quads in Florida is a huge plus, the people are friendly, the state is flat and you don't have to shovel humidity.
    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

Quote Originally Posted by 24/7 Quad View Post
    and you don't have to shovel humidity.

tricky getting an accessible house to rent though.
    Quote Originally Posted by 24/7 Quad View Post
    Of course there are pros and cons for most locations. I grew up in Pennsylvania and moved to Orlando in 1995. Loved the flatness and accessibility. Weather is hot and a little less hot. Moved to the panhandle in 2000 and we have four seasons with a short winter and a steady breeze off of the Gulf. Getting ready to retire soon we are deciding where we want to live. As much as I love the Gulf side we ruled out the Tampa and the Port Charlotte area. Too far south and the Red Tide this year was brutal. After 7 or 8 trips we will probably land in St. Augustine. Four season climate, lots to do and pretty good infrastructure. If possible rent in the area you are considering and see what its like during the busy season. The tax break for quads in Florida is a huge plus, the people are friendly, the state is flat and you don't have to shovel humidity.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

If you find a house you like, ask about renting for 6 months or so with option to buy.

(KLD)

there is 1 next canal over 2 houses on same lot with elevator dock

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    If you find a house you like, ask about renting for 6 months or so with option to buy.

(KLD)
    still the accessibility issue. luckily only small threshold frt/back but then the shower/bathroom.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

you found 1?