Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: florida living......

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    Don't forget the rising oceans from the non existent global warming and this morning I saw FL is listed 51 on the list of safest states for seniors. "51st" of the states that's the most interesting part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    Did Cali subdivide or something?
    Possibly Puerto Rico was included in the consideration.

"Baldfatdad," would you share the source of the information?

Actually, I'd be interested in thoughts on the San Diego area if anyone has some suggestions on areas to consider. As much as SoCal is expensive, I expect it would be lower cost compared to the SF Bay area and still have very good resources and accessibility levels.

I searched the internet and found this site: https://www.theseniorlist.com/data/s...tates-seniors/

Their ratings listed Washington, DC as one of the states, so 50 states plus DC.

"Our analysis looked at five key factors affecting Americans 65 and older — fraud victimization, violent deaths, living alone, median rental costs and poverty. Each state (and the District of Columbia) was ranked and a corresponding number (1-51) was assigned based on that ranking. Each state’s ranking in each category was then added to create the overall risk ranking. Lower numbers mean states present less risk to seniors in these categories, and higher numbers equal higher risk."

At this website, Senior Advice, https://www.senioradvice.com/article...es-for-seniors, Florida ranked 7th out of 10 best states for seniors. Rankings of the 10 best in order, number one was Virginia followed by Hawaii, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Kansas, Maryland, Florida, Texas, Arizona, and West Virginia.

"Analyzing hundreds of variables across four categories, including recreation and leisure opportunities, retirement finances, health and safety, and overall quality of life, we have ranked all 50 states based on senior-friendliness."

There are quite a few of the Best Places... lists, all seem to report differently. Hard to find your haven!

Over the years, since I retired, NL and I have made this topic one of our past times. Whenever one of these lists comes out, yearly, we review them and spend a while talking about the possibilities of living here or there. Maybe it is inertia, we are happy where we are (but maybe there is some place better), moving is a lot of work, spending an adequate amount of time in a new place to evaluate it as a home not a vacation can be difficult...and we aren't getting any younger.

Good luck to all trying to make this big decision.
    Last edited by gjnl; 03-09-2019 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    I searched the internet and found this site: https://www.theseniorlist.com/data/s...tates-seniors/

Their ratings listed Washington, DC as one of the states, so 50 states plus DC.....
    And it says that: " Florida posed the greatest risk to seniors."
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    And it says that: " Florida posed the greatest risk to seniors."
    Yes, it does.
    Last edited by gjnl; 03-09-2019 at 07:06 PM.

Hey fuente,

Ohio's never going to be the same.

I used to hate the thought of living in FLA because of the heat and humidity, but these winter's in Ohio are starting to get old real fast.

Vicki & me were having this same conversation!!

My two brothers both retired to FL within the last 5 years. They hate it...especially when you've got to evacuate. Always complaining about food, or lack of it, the cost of living, heat/humidity, gas prices, etc. I have a sister in Scottsdale that said she'd never stay there full time....guess what...she's pretty much full time. We visited her a couple of years back and I liked it. The area was boring as hell so, I'd need to be closer to Phoenix.

Quote Originally Posted by johnc1 View Post
    My two brothers both retired to FL within the last 5 years. They hate it...especially when you've got to evacuate. Always complaining about food, or lack of it, the cost of living, heat/humidity, gas prices, etc. I have a sister in Scottsdale that said she'd never stay there full time....guess what...she's pretty much full time. We visited her a couple of years back and I liked it. The area was boring as hell so, I'd need to be closer to Phoenix.
    NL was born and raised in Phoenix. I lived there from age 12 to 23. We have family living in Mesa. We have long term friends all around the valley. We would never live in the "Valley of the Sun" metroplex again, period. Summers are absolutely brutal. We have a rule, we only visit between mid October and mid April. The valley's weather in late spring, all summer and early fall is uncomfortable for us and just as limiting as the winters in the east and mid west. I know...you don't have to shovel sunshine, but in the valley, you don't go out in the sunshine, a good part of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Take this with a grain of salt. Older parts of LA can be difficult. But for the most part, LA is great for wheelchair access and so is most of southern California.

https://access2mobility.com/10-of-th...ssible-travel/
    Unless you live by the ocean -- SUPER expensive -- I think finding areas in LA where you can handcycle without being killed in traffic within 5 minutes (or less), is challenging.