Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: florida living......

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    According to the Abilities.com website the best places for a person with a disability to live in Florida are: https://www.abilities.com/community/...st-cities.html
    #4 Tampa
    #5 St. Petersburg
    #44 Jacksonville
    #66 Pembrook Pines
    #88 Fort Lauderdale
    #99 Tallahassee

These are the ratings of these cities in Florida out of 150 places rated in the United States.

For the final ruling on most favored status, the study crunched the numbers from the nation?s 150 most populated cities across three primary dimensions that impact the disability community: economic environment, quality of life and healthcare.

There are many of the places rated lists. It is interesting to take a look at a few of them to see how much the vary. My search criteria was "Best Cities for People with Disabilities to Live."
    Take this with a grain of salt. Older parts of LA can be difficult. But for the most part, LA is great for wheelchair access and so is most of southern California.

https://access2mobility.com/10-of-th...ssible-travel/

According to the Abilities.com website the best places for a person with a disability to live in Florida are: https://www.abilities.com/community/...st-cities.html
    #4 Tampa
    #5 St. Petersburg
    #44 Jacksonville
    #66 Pembrook Pines
    #88 Fort Lauderdale
    #99 Tallahassee

These are the ratings of these cities in Florida out of 150 places rated in the United States.

For the final ruling on most favored status, the study crunched the numbers from the nation?s 150 most populated cities across three primary dimensions that impact the disability community: economic environment, quality of life and healthcare.

There are many of the places rated lists. It is interesting to take a look at a few of them to see how much the vary. My search criteria was "Best Cities for People with Disabilities to Live."
    These surveys are all over the map literally. LA rates very low. But in my experience it is great for wheelchair access and so is most of southern California. Because it is newer.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    These surveys are all over the map literally. LA rates very low. But in my experience it is great for wheelchair access and so is most of southern California. Because it is newer.
    \

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Take this with a grain of salt. Older parts of LA can be difficult. But for the most part, LA is great for wheelchair access and so is most of southern California.

https://access2mobility.com/10-of-th...ssible-travel/
    Yeah, I understand your point, but the realities are there are not too many people who can buy into the California market and the original poster was asking about locations in Florida

CHcked that already, on par with what we pay now in ohio for home in or near tampa area.
    Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    Check the cost of home owners insurance.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

yah, love socal but not in our budget
    \

Yeah, I understand your point, but the realities are there are not too many people who can buy into the California market and the original poster was asking about locations in Florida
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
    Due to hurricanes and flooding?
    my home ins is 2800 a year I have no flood ins as I own it also I am 19 feet in air my home in ga that was 3400sq was 1400.00 a year but taxes were 5300 a year

#4 Tampa
    #5 St. Petersburg
    #44 Jacksonville
    #66 Pembrook Pines
    #88 Fort Lauderdale
    #99 Tallahassee

I'd encourage anyone with SCI who considers moving to Florida to locate within easy transport distance to SCI trained doctors & hospital.
    If you intend to grow older in Florida, you don't want to have to educate the doctors you may see while in the throes of an SCI emergency.

And the highly-ranked doctors and hospitals often won't accept scans, MRIs, etc. except that are done on their own equipment.

Do yourself a huge favor and research locations near good medical resources.

Also be aware that the waterways on both coasts of Florida are having steadily increasing problems with 'red tide' and toxic algaes in the water, due to warming oceans and pollution runoff. These can cause severe respiratory and skin problems, just from breathing the air near the water.

Florida can be a great place to live, but visit and do your research first before buying.
    Last edited by Crashbang; 03-08-2019 at 04:49 PM. Reason: typos

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
    Due to hurricanes and flooding?
    Hurricanes, flooding rainstorms, sink holes, stand your ground laws

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    Hurricanes, flooding rainstorms, sink holes, stand your ground laws
    Don't forget the rising oceans from the non existent global warming and this morning I saw FL is listed 51 on the list of safest states for seniors. "51st" of the states that's the most interesting part.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    Don't forget the rising oceans from the non existent global warming and this morning I saw FL is listed 51 on the list of safest states for seniors. "51st" of the states that's the most interesting part.
    Did Cali subdivide or something?