Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: florida living......

yup, after 32 yrs of sci my body thinks it needs a break........i have many customers who have made the move and love it just because of the fact their bodies feel better.....i feel the best in summer when im riding daily and outside. my body just feels better. we love ohio except in winter................ but we dont want to be strapped with 2 homes. the tax exception thing in florida is a biggie too since we want to buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    Hey fuente,

Ohio's never going to be the same.

I used to hate the thought of living in FLA because of the heat and humidity, but these winter's in Ohio are starting to get old real fast.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnc1 View Post
    My two brothers both retired to FL within the last 5 years. They hate it...especially when you've got to evacuate. Always complaining about food, or lack of it, the cost of living, heat/humidity, gas prices, etc. I have a sister in Scottsdale that said she'd never stay there full time....guess what...she's pretty much full time. We visited her a couple of years back and I liked it. The area was boring as hell so, I'd need to be closer to Phoenix.
    I'm beginning to think the land of enchantment of Florida is becoming overrated. I ear such good things about Phoenix area. My bet is there.

John, when looking for Shangri-la, be sure to keep availability of sci medical care high on your priority list of requirements.. At 32 years post-injury this is likely to become an increasing need. At 64 years post-injury, I have found the downside of life pretty rough at times. There is a possibility that you have another 32 or more years to go.

I hear you on that John. Being outside in the sunshine cannot be overrated, at least not for me. We have mild winters for the most part in this area of NC and I get out just about every day. But this winter has been really wet and cloudy and that makes a huge difference. Hard to make myself get out there on the cloudy damp days. As long as the temp is not too far below freezing and the sun is shining I am going to be out there. Typically our winters are nighttime lows around freezing and daytime highs around mid 40's to low 50's and if the sun is shining that is a good day but this winter has been so wet and cloudy it really has an effect on me. I am so ready for sunny weather. The Sunshine state sounds good right about now. I probably will not be moving unless I got an opportunity to move to the NC coast but then again I do not like the prospect of being evacuated from my home on numerous occasions. We had to leave while on vacation this past September but we had a home to go to. I would come closer to having a place that I rented out down there when I was not using it and have my primary residence right here where I am at. I cannot imagine being any further North than I am now and I give all that are major props for being able to pull that off.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    yup, after 32 yrs of sci my body thinks it needs a break........i have many customers who have made the move and love it just because of the fact their bodies feel better.....i feel the best in summer when im riding daily and outside. my body just feels better. we love ohio except in winter................ but we dont want to be strapped with 2 homes. the tax exception thing in florida is a biggie too since we want to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55+yrs View Post
    John, when looking for Shangri-la, be sure to keep availability of sci medical care high on your priority list of requirements.. At 32 years post-injury this is likely to become an increasing need. At 64 years post-injury, I have found the downside of life pretty rough at times. There is a possibility that you have another 32 or more years to go.
    agreed. thats why the tampa area is appealing......
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

ok its 73 I just rode 7 miles over to the shell point beach lots of people sun and wind not to worried about being hit by car ocean front here about 275 up evactuating nit that big a deal gone 2 days lastime at a shelter in tally

Here is a thread from a member who took the leap and moved to Florida:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...hlight=florida

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    ok its 73 I just rode 7 miles over to the shell point beach lots of people sun and wind not to worried about being hit by car ocean front here about 275 up evactuating nit that big a deal gone 2 days lastime at a shelter in tally
    niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

"fuenejps" last time Mac85 was on this forum was Jan. 6, 2019. He visits from time to time.

He is probably still settling into his new home.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    yah, love socal but not in our budget
    Coastal real estate is expensive. But real estate inland can be very affordable.