Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: florida living......

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    you found 1?
    pretty much all new ranches down where we are looking are like this.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I moved to Florida 5 years ago and lived in SW Florida (south of Sarasota). The weather is great in the winter but I wouldn't recommend the area for several reasons. I did find the the cost of living good and quite a few things to do but it took forever to drive for many things. If you don't mind congestion go for it but we found it a pain to just go shopping. Traffic was awful and area is growing fast so only to get worse. We ended up evacuating for hurricane IRMA. It was a nightmare taking 18 hours to get out of the state. I would never evacuate again given the opportunity. Buckle up and batten down the hatches is safer. We moved out of Florida for family reasons but we likely will go back eventually but it would be in the northern or panhandle instead of South Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by miltongm09 View Post
    I moved to Florida 5 years ago and lived in SW Florida (south of Sarasota). The weather is great in the winter but I wouldn't recommend the area for several reasons. I did find the the cost of living good and quite a few things to do but it took forever to drive for many things. If you don't mind congestion go for it but we found it a pain to just go shopping. Traffic was awful and area is growing fast so only to get worse. We ended up evacuating for hurricane IRMA. It was a nightmare taking 18 hours to get out of the state. I would never evacuate again given the opportunity. Buckle up and batten down the hatches is safer. We moved out of Florida for family reasons but we likely will go back eventually but it would be in the northern or panhandle instead of South Florida.
    I live in the panhandle I love it I evacuated for Irma and micheal but I live on coast we get surge I am 20' in air but..... its great here cost of living personalley I find grocery high compared to Georgia but offset by no property taxes. I love the public transpotation 10.00 to tallay drop u of at ur appt then pick up up take u home for me as a quad I drive but all the dr and hospitals in tally notquad driving friendly . they have a high school 30 minutes from me that is where I go to evacuate. dr nurses bring your dogs they have a place for them its nice for a shelter

Moved to the east coast of Florida, just south of Cape Canaveral in 1975 and had never evacuated for hurricane. Mostly because I was young and the power would always go out. Beachside and you would get all the free beer from the bars.

I now live on the mainland (across the Lagoon), have a whole house generator and I don't go anywhere. All my friends show up here for the air conditioning and to take a hot shower.

Spent 1986-1998 in Tampa and Tampa 'burbs, paralyzed surfing at Daytona Beach 1990, age 20, did rehab at Tampa General. After 5 years in New York, I moved back, another year in Tampa, then 5 years in South Florida (Ft Lauderdale). I kind of preferred South Florida (Ft Lauderdale/Miami) but Tampa/St Pete can be great, too. Best time of year for quads in Florida is Spring & Fall, but I tolerated the humidity okay in Summer, too. Winter in the Tampa area is a little colder than South Florida, but not bad at all, especially compared to Ohio or NY winters (family in Ohio, spent a few XMases post-SCI in Ohio). It rains a lot during the summer in Florida, but usually only for a little while most afternoons. I've lived in 4 states post-SCI and visited others, and while I like it here in Los Angeles (no humidity, no bugs to mention really), Florida is easily the most wheelchair friendly state overall.

thx all. we are starting our new adventure to sw florida in a few weeks. very excited
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Blog Entries
    Congrats! Being close to a beach full-time will be awesome. No need to come here and get rained on again.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Congrats! Being close to a beach full-time will be awesome. No need to come here and get rained on again.
    lol, your area is nice we just have bad vaca luck there. yah, looking forward to cycling year round
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

In Florida it rained at 3 o'clock everyday, you could set your watch by it. So Monday through Friday at 3 o'clock we walked across the street to watch GH (General Hospital) at a friends house.

At the surfing contest when we saw dark clouds coming across the Lagoon, we wanted to get home before the 3 o'clock thunderstorms hit. Jim and Robbie were in a convertible so they left right then. Peewee, Matt, Doug and myself decided to get wet before getting in my '71 Satellite toasting on A1A.

The rest is history

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    lol, your area is nice we just have bad vaca luck there. yah, looking forward to cycling year round
    Good deal. You'll love it!
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein