Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: florida living......

florida living......

so where are ideal places to live in florida for wheelers? we are looking at southern florida currently. st. Petersburgh etc. cost of living looks on par with ohio .....we are considering buying or building a house, just getting a feel for everything. info appreciated.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

We're based in Gainesville, FL. Been here for 13 years now and it continues to grow on me. I know a few people in wheelchairs here, but not many, so I can't really say if it's ideal or not. There is a large paved trail system that would be great for handcycling, the Hawthorne Trail (part of Florida's Rails-to-Trails program).

Tampa / St. Pete area has a LOT going on for wheelchair users. The Tampa VA is huge and hosts a lot of adaptive sporting events. Top End is also based in that area. Orlando has several adaptive fitness centers and is very accessible. Miami is the only other place in Florida that I know of that has a lot going on for wheelchair users, especially related to the Miami Project.
    Co-founder & CTO of MYOLYN - FES Technology for People with Paralysis - Empowering People to Move

I live in Orlando, but Florida in general seems to be pretty great for accessibility. St Pete is a great area, it' not what I;d consider South Florida, but it's still a great area. Just be aware, coastal cities get evacuated for hurricanes. Not to say it will happen, but it is very possible. Plus, quads are text exempt, so no property tax.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Quote Originally Posted by Crappler View Post
    I live in Orlando, but Florida in general seems to be pretty great for accessibility. St Pete is a great area, it' not what I;d consider South Florida, but it's still a great area. Just be aware, coastal cities get evacuated for hurricanes. Not to say it will happen, but it is very possible. Plus, quads are text exempt, so no property tax.
    yes the tax exempt is a big draw. am i correct on cost of living being decent? home prices look on par as well.
    below are cities nm mentioned
    Gainesville, St. Petersburg and Sarasota?

many thx guys.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

We live in St. Petersburg. We enjoy the area. A two bedroom two bathroom apartment is around $1,500. Of course if you want to spend more they have that also. The area is real accessible. I honestly don't think I have had any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    yes the tax exempt is a big draw. am i correct on cost of living being decent? home prices look on par as well.
    below are cities nm mentioned
    Gainesville, St. Petersburg and Sarasota?

many thx guys.
    john I live in Crawfordville south of tally 20 miles in a community called oyster bay right on water homes here 90,k to where I live 250k up but that ocean or canal living great place to live

thx hack. st pete looks very affordable....... if we can find a ranch that we can do minimal remodel too we would go that route if not we will build....
    Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    We live in St. Petersburg. We enjoy the area. A two bedroom two bathroom apartment is around $1,500. Of course if you want to spend more they have that also. The area is real accessible. I honestly don't think I have had any issues.
    i'll check out that area
    Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    john I live in Crawfordville south of tally 20 miles in a community called oyster bay right on water homes here 90,k to where I live 250k up but that ocean or canal living great place to live
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

According to the Abilities.com website the best places for a person with a disability to live in Florida are: https://www.abilities.com/community/...st-cities.html
    #4 Tampa
    #5 St. Petersburg
    #44 Jacksonville
    #66 Pembrook Pines
    #88 Fort Lauderdale
    #99 Tallahassee

These are the ratings of these cities in Florida out of 150 places rated in the United States.

For the final ruling on most favored status, the study crunched the numbers from the nation?s 150 most populated cities across three primary dimensions that impact the disability community: economic environment, quality of life and healthcare.

There are many of the places rated lists. It is interesting to take a look at a few of them to see how much the vary. My search criteria was "Best Cities for People with Disabilities to Live."

Check the cost of home owners insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    Check the cost of home owners insurance.
    Due to hurricanes and flooding?