Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying with Twion Wheels

Flying with Twion Wheels

Hi all, long time no post but I'm in need of some advice yet again.
    I've finally got my Twion wheels sorted out, special camber tube on, app downloaded with an access code I definitely don't have
    We're flying to Louisville for a conference in a few weeks. These conferences are a big reason why I got the wheels due to the never-ending carpet and pushing myself from one end of the conference center to another, countless times a day. We've got a layover in Detroit as there are no non-stop flights from LA. I'm very nervous about flying with the wheels. Our current plan is to pack them in the box they came in with the sheet from Alber and the print out of the IATA chapter it meets both in the box and taped to the side. It will then be checked as according to the IATA regulations since the batteries aren't removable they can't be in the cabin (https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/...59-EN-2.3a.pdf). I'll then use my manual wheels to get to the gate. We're bringing extra packing supplies (tape and scissors) in case they want the Twions to go in the cabin. Then we'll just put the Twions on and pack the spinergys.

For those of you who have flown with Twion wheels, how do you normally do it?

Quote Originally Posted by rockbybay View Post
    Hi all, long time no post but I'm in need of some advice yet again.
    I've finally got my Twion wheels sorted out, special camber tube on, app downloaded with an access code I definitely don't have
    We're flying to Louisville for a conference in a few weeks. These conferences are a big reason why I got the wheels due to the never-ending carpet and pushing myself from one end of the conference center to another, countless times a day. We've got a layover in Detroit as there are no non-stop flights from LA. I'm very nervous about flying with the wheels. Our current plan is to pack them in the box they came in with the sheet from Alber and the print out of the IATA chapter it meets both in the box and taped to the side. It will then be checked as according to the IATA regulations since the batteries aren't removable they can't be in the cabin (https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/...59-EN-2.3a.pdf). I'll then use my manual wheels to get to the gate. We're bringing extra packing supplies (tape and scissors) in case they want the Twions to go in the cabin. Then we'll just put the Twions on and pack the spinergys.

For those of you who have flown with Twion wheels, how do you normally do it?

I dont have those wheels but we fly all the time and dont have issues with damage. I fly with power chairs and have at time flown with a street chair and an off road power chair on the same flight and no issues!

Is there a reason you dont want to leave the wheels on and have them just transport normally which would have you transfer in the plane then they take your chair and load it and bring to you when you land for your layover?

It concerns me when I see people talking about taking chairs and scooters apart which requires time and effort and then to do it again after landing.

What if bolts, nuts, screws get lost, one then needs tools etc?

The biggest suggestion is to work with the ground crew loading you chair and how it and the wheels work.

Most just leave there chairs and or scooters and never talk to the ground crew on whats needed and how things work.

Worse yet come up with a page and 1/2 of written laminated instructions??? Like the ground crews have the time to read a novel when the end user could have just taken the time and shown them!!

Do remember things and issues can happen but everything is fixable and at the airlines expense but for the most part give yourself an extra hour ask for the ramp supervisors and have him or her radio or email the same information you giving to both arriving airports.

If you need more help message me!

Last dont over think it and dont pay attention to those who dont fly circulating horror stories about flying with mobility!

I'm not liking the idea of taking the wheels off. What are they going to do with the rest of your chair? Stow it with luggage? Pass. Now, if you get them to stow your wheels and the frame on the plane, then that's what I would do. BUT, by no means would I want them carrying my chair like a piece of luggage.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Thank you both. I don't think I was clear in my original post. I'm taking two separate pairs of wheels with me, one power assist pair and one regular pair.
    This is for a few reasons, rain and battery life being the two biggest ones.
    My chair will not be taken apart at all, I plan on leaving the (nonpowered) wheels on the chair when I transfer to the plane. The power assist wheels will be checked like luggage (in a box) as the push-rims are stupidly fragile. Since I'm taking two pairs of wheels, I thought it made the most sense to pack the fragile wheels where they're less likely to get broken and roll with my manual wheels for the day, which are pretty indestructible.
    I hope that makes more sense.

I did not know that you could talk with the ground crew. How do you start that process?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post

The biggest suggestion is to work with the ground crew loading you chair and how it and the wheels work.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

I have flown with my twions left on my chair and gate checked without issue so far. The box is is a good one as you're right about the handrims. A good hard knock will dork the torque sensors. The problem is how much luggage it makes for!
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

how did you get the app? i have a brand new set in the box
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Thank you both. I don't think I was clear in my original post. I'm taking two separate pairs of wheels with me, one power assist pair and one regular pair.
    My chair will not be taken apart at all, I plan on leaving the (nonpowered) wheels on the chair when I transfer to the plane. The power assist wheels will be checked like luggage (in a box) as the push-rims are stupidly fragile. Since I'm taking two pairs of wheels, I thought it made the most sense to pack the fragile wheels where they're less likely to get broken and roll with my manual wheels for the day, which are pretty indestructible.
    Why don't you ship the power assist wheels to the hotel you will be staying at? Then you don't have to worry about them on the plane.

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    Why don't you ship the power assist wheels to the hotel you will be staying at? Then you don't have to worry about them on the plane.
    great idea. i do this with my zx1
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Makes more sense but I think you might be thinking by having it pack separate its going to be more safe and less likely to get damage?

Same ground crew so the risk is the same...I would keep the powered wheels on it I am not 100% sure but I have seen people roll in rain, snow etc so not sure how that impacts the usage?

I think your end result would be better if you rolled up to check in gate and ask for the ramp supervisor and explain how your chair has the battery tires and how they work and can be subject to sensitivity so you needed it loaded with care.

Most airlines now have lifts that will lift a chair to the conveyor belt to be loaded so doping is much less.

If you boxed them up and even put on the box fragile you can still get some knucklehead that didn't see the label and toss!

I am real specific when I am showing him or her what to do and how it works.

Over the weekend I had s flight from LAX back to Phx and the supervisor wasn't really paying attention so I just stop talking and rolled back to the gate agent and asked for his manager.

When he came up to ask why I left I told him I need someone that is going to pay attention because I cant have this chair damaged when I get home.

Be assertive and speak up remember they are working for you and the more you explain and show the less your going to have damage or issues.