Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flying with Twion Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Joe-MN View Post
    I did not know that you could talk with the ground crew. How do you start that process?

Thanks
    When you check in at the gate when they tag your chair to bring it to the gate you can have the agent call for a ramp supervisor.

Its important that you talk to the right person because the person taking tickets before you board is a opps agent they try and step in but this person is not the person in charge of getting your chair loaded!!

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    Why don't you ship the power assist wheels to the hotel you will be staying at? Then you don't have to worry about them on the plane.

The problem with that is Fedex and UPS both deliver items and they can get damaged and the repair process is a lot longer.

If he uses the airlines and they get damaged he could have them repaired possibly then.

We have had DMEs come to our hotel or in one case we took a shuttle from the airport to the DME in Las Vegas.

But haven't had any real issues in years!

We just got back from a vacation where by husband's E-fix wheels were damaged after we loaded the plane from our layover on the way to Honolulu. The axle pin broke/sheared off. Not sure what happened. The ground crew gal said it just fell off when she picked it up and the steward watching said same. We assume during first flight the chair may have shifted around hard! How the axle didn't brake when my husband was in it for the layover is beyond me. However, after getting to Honolulu and using a rental large power chair for a day and a half, we were lucky enough knowing someone coming to Honolulu the next day that brought our spare wheel from home. Anyways, on the way home the airline treated us like gold. We took the wheels off and stored in the cabinet on board and just sent the chair to the ground crew to be put in luggage. This was with delta. We are again flying end of the month with Southwest and would like to look into doing the same thing (taking wheels on board and chair to luggage). I wonder if they make a padded bag for wheelchair wheels. I'm thinking even taking them off and sending down if have to that way may be safer than having the chair rolling around down there. Anyone else ever take power assist wheels off before sending down. From now on I may request to talk to ground crew before they take it down.

Quote Originally Posted by NebrFarmer View Post
    We just got back from a vacation where by husband's E-fix wheels were damaged after we loaded the plane from our layover on the way to Honolulu. The axle pin broke/sheared off. Not sure what happened. The ground crew gal said it just fell off when she picked it up and the steward watching said same. We assume during first flight the chair may have shifted around hard! How the axle didn't brake when my husband was in it for the layover is beyond me. However, after getting to Honolulu and using a rental large power chair for a day and a half, we were lucky enough knowing someone coming to Honolulu the next day that brought our spare wheel from home. Anyways, on the way home the airline treated us like gold. We took the wheels off and stored in the cabinet on board and just sent the chair to the ground crew to be put in luggage. This was with delta. We are again flying end of the month with Southwest and would like to look into doing the same thing (taking wheels on board and chair to luggage). I wonder if they make a padded bag for wheelchair wheels. I'm thinking even taking them off and sending down if have to that way may be safer than having the chair rolling around down there. Anyone else ever take power assist wheels off before sending down. From now on I may request to talk to ground crew before they take it down.
    Just out of curiosity when you took off for your 1st leg of your trip did you talk to the ground crew about his chair and how the tires are special and play in to how his chair works?

If you have never seen the cargo hold of a plane it has open bins where his chair should have been placed and a cargo net over the front to keep it from falling out and tires should have been locked to keep it from rolling to shearing off doesnt make sense.

We fly Southwest and they fly smaller planes then what you might have flown to Hawaii so I would call the airline and see if they can a accommodate the wheels as carry on.

You could also search on line and find company's that have pre made bags.

https://www.cascadehealthcaresolutio...QaAv4YEALw_wcB

https://www.healthnsupport.com/catal...caArrNEALw_wcB

https://www.google.com/search?q=whee...10832369204643

Sorry it's taken me forever to respond, busy week.
    @Mize happy to know you had no issues gate checking, that lessens my worry a little.
    @fuentejps I'll message you about the app, I'm not sure if I'm truly supposed to have it.
    @HACKNSACK44 I can't afford to ship the wheels, this trip is already more expensive than I was planning. I'd also be without the weels longer than ideal. Plus as RollPositive said, it'd likely be harder to get the wheels fixed with UPS/FedEx than with an airline.
    @NebrFarmer are you referring to the bracket on the camber tube? If so, what happened to you is a big worry of mine as while I'll have a backup pair of manual wheels, I won't be able to get around the conference center without some sort of assist. I was thinking of maybe bubble wrapping the bracket or something but I don't know how much good that would do.

It was the axle or I assume you call the camber tube. I have no idea how it happened and didn't collapse while waiting during layover. We have traveled dozens of times without issues. We will travel again this Sunday. We fly out of small airport in Omaha so may be a small plane. Still going to ask if we remove the wheels if we can store them on the plane in the cabinet. I'll explain the last flight we were on they broke and see if that helps. Don't hesitate to travel. We have been very fortunate and this last issue they worked very hard to accommodate us. We also learned to attach a laminated sheet to the seat under the seat pad that says Please not to try to "break down" this chair or take apart, this is the users only means of getting around. And that there are special tools required and they will strip our screws. We take a large tote bag and I strip down what I can: controller, seat pad, arm rests and I take colored duct tape to the cord to attach it so doesn't get caught where doesn't belong.