Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black hubs black spokes... should I?

Black hubs black spokes... should I?

So I'm mulling over my wheel choice... well just the colors really, I know for sure I'm going to go with Spinergy XLX 559s with titanium push rims. They look like this.

I'm planning on going with black spokes except for a single blue inner spoke on one wheel and a single white inner spoke on the other wheel (the inner spokes are the straight ones, not crossed).

I currently have a pair of Spinergy LXs with black spokes and a silver hub. I really dislike the silver hub, it's chrome and it's a pain in the ass to keep clean (and I'm not the type of person who is going to bother cleaning my wheels once a week, I'm lucky if I clean them every couple months), but more than that I just don't like the look.

I tend to go with black on black on black for the chair, and everything on my current chair is black with the exception of the push rims (aluminum) and the hubs: black paint, black side guards, black upholstry, removed most of the logos on teh cushion and back so that it's just plain black, black spokes, black toiletry bag tucked up underneath it and my black manpurse hanging behind my legs. My new chair will be the same color scheme (except getting fancy with one spoke colored on each side), and I think black hubs would look fine with that.

When I was picking my options for my current chair I was very strongly discouraged from adding black spokes to a black hub as I originally requested and I ended up changing this. The DME guy (who remains the most knowledgeable I've met and also in a chair) said it wouldn't look right, but when I picture it in my mind I think it would be fine. Maybe they just don't configure them like that in the factory so it would have to be a custom build? I don't know.

Anyway, I'd like some opinions on what yall think about (mostly) all black spokes and a black hub on a set of Spinergys. Especially if anyone has seen a set (a few halfhearted google searches haven't returned any configured that way).

Blog Entries
    I have regular LX wheels that are black on black. I even had the D's Locks hubs anodized black too. Doesn't look too shabby, IMO, or weird. They do show dust and dirt easily though.

I
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

I went through the same challenge when I got my TR last year. I wanted black spoke with black hubs, and the LX wheel. But for whatever reason, they don't want to sell it that way. If you get black spokes, then you get a silver hub. However, I did ask for it be customized and they said there would a 400 upcharge. 400. WTF?
    I ended up going with white spoke and a black hub, and IMO it's nicer, anyway. I believe the Shadow wheels can be black on black.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

I ordered XLX wheels with blue spokes (therefore black hub) and then ordered black spokes separately (like $25 for 12 of them if I remember correctly). I swapped the spokes out myself, then took it to a bike shop to have them balanced. You could do it this way if you want black on black for not much additional cost.

Last edited by Brad09; 03-05-2019 at 03:42 PM.

Thanks oddity, I think you're right, black on black looks fine... though Brad's wheels do look pretty sweet in half blue... and black and blue are Panthers colors...

Decisions decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    Thanks oddity, I think you're right, black on black looks fine... though Brad's wheels do look pretty sweet in half blue... and black and blue are Panthers colors...

Decisions decisions.
    I think black on black looks good too. I only did the outside ones blue to highlight the x-laced spokes. It's hard to notice the difference from regular LX wheels when they're the same color.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad09 View Post
    I think black on black looks good too. I only did the outside ones blue to highlight the x-laced spokes. It's hard to notice the difference from regular LX wheels when they're the same color.
    I'm not too concerned about having my spoke lacing noticed, my main goal for the X laced version is to have more room to reach in there to grip the rims when pulling them on and off, and to clean. I think the main reason I like an all black chair is because subconsciously I want the chair to be unremarkable and people to notice the man in the chair (hence my unreasonably colorful shirts to highlight the living portion of myself and the almost universally black pants I wear to minimize attention to the dead portion).

Do you feel like it's easier to grab the X laced hub than a regular hub?

Also, that is a really, REALLY good looking chair, well done.

I'm not too concerned about having my spoke lacing noticed, my main goal for the X laced version is to have more room to reach in there to grip the rims when pulling them on and off, and to clean. I think the main reason I like an all black chair is because subconsciously I want the chair to be unremarkable and people to notice the man in the chair (hence my unreasonably colorful shirts to highlight the living portion of myself and the almost universally black pants I wear to minimize attention to the dead portion).

Do you feel like it's easier to grab the X laced hub than a regular hub?

Also, that is a really, REALLY good looking chair, well done.
    Have you considered the carbon fiber Spinergy Blade wheels? They are SUPER lightweight and all black. They've been my everydays for the past few years.

I heard of those Steven but I don’t know much about them. Seems like they have a lot of spokes, and I’d rather have fewer spokes for ease of everyday life.

I heard of those Steven but I don?t know much about them. Seems like they have a lot of spokes, and I?d rather have fewer spokes for ease of everyday life.
    True, more spokes. But L-I-G-H-T.
    Attached Images Attached Images