Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Black hubs black spokes... should I?

I've had those same Surge handrims pictured on my chair above for over three years now and haven't had any issues with rubber coming off or staining my hands. Like August said, you can put pressure on the sides of the handrim to prevent rubber burn going downhill. But honestly, I'm never going downhill on a day to day basis so it's not an issue for me. Having used a handrim with rubber grip like these, I don't see how anyone uses a non coated handrim. I have Surge LT's on my standing chair and prefer the smaller size to the ones on my daily chair. I also like the short tab mount so my thumbs don't get caught on the tabs.

Hi all,
    I’ll completely second Stephen’s comments about the textured Spinergy rims. I’m just meh on them. I will say no issues with downhills or the oxidation on the hands. One thing that’s bugged me is both of mine have an 1/8”or so hole on the inside towards the tire about an inch from a tab, I have no idea why it’s there.
    My favorite are my Spinergy Flexrims.

Why are you just 'meh' on them? Any other handrims that you would suggest to look at?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stsmark View Post
    Hi all,
    I’ll completely second Stephen’s comments about the textured Spinergy rims. I’m just meh on them. I will say no issues with downhills or the oxidation on the hands. One thing that’s bugged me is both of mine have an 1/8”or so hole on the inside towards the tire about an inch from a tab, I have no idea why it’s there.
    My favorite are my Spinergy Flexrims.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad09 View Post
    I've had those same Surge handrims pictured on my chair above for over three years now and haven't had any issues with rubber coming off or staining my hands.
    That's interesting that you say that. Only my left hand gets the stain. I switch the wheels from side to side and still it's just the left hand. Maybe it's me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad09 View Post
    I also like the short tab mount so my thumbs don't get caught on the tabs.
    Have you tried the thumb piece option? It's facilitates a better push, improves ergonomics, and it covers the tabs making it impossible for your thumb to get caught on the tabs.

Quote Originally Posted by Stsmark View Post
    One thing that?s bugged me is both of mine have an 1/8?or so hole on the inside towards the tire about an inch from a tab, I have no idea why it?s there.
    Apparently that’s a welding requirement, ie they need a hole when making the handrim circumferential weld, presumably because there would be an issue trying to weld up the last bit if air was trapped inside. (I only know because I asked a manufacturer the same question about another part of a chair!)
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    Lol, I've seen someone post about those rims before. They actually seem like a pretty cool idea to me, but they run so counter to the "sporty" carbon fiber/aluminum/plastic/titanium/fiberglass makeup of all decent lightweight chairs that they look bizarre... like a wooden door handle on a ferrari.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    I'd love to try them just for the thermal properties..
    you know .. not getting crazy cold in winter and crazy hot in the summer etc.. plus I think they kind of look cool.

Hey if I owned a Ferrari, full on woody.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    Lol, I've seen someone post about those rims before. They actually seem like a pretty cool idea to me, but they run so counter to the "sporty" carbon fiber/aluminum/plastic/titanium/fiberglass makeup of all decent lightweight chairs that they look bizarre... like a wooden door handle on a ferrari.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    That's interesting that you say that. Only my left hand gets the stain. I switch the wheels from side to side and still it's just the left hand. Maybe it's me.

Have you tried the thumb piece option? It's facilitates a better push, improves ergonomics, and it covers the tabs making it impossible for your thumb to get caught on the tabs.
    I didn't know they offered a thumb piece for Surge handrims (assuming you're talking about the same ones that come with the regular natural fit handrims). Are you saying you put your thumb on the thumb piece and your palm goes on the Surge rubber strip, instead of putting your thumb on the rubber strip?