Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Black hubs black spokes... should I?

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    I'm not too concerned about having my spoke lacing noticed, my main goal for the X laced version is to have more room to reach in there to grip the rims when pulling them on and off, and to clean. I think the main reason I like an all black chair is because subconsciously I want the chair to be unremarkable and people to notice the man in the chair (hence my unreasonably colorful shirts to highlight the living portion of myself and the almost universally black pants I wear to minimize attention to the dead portion).

Do you feel like it's easier to grab the X laced hub than a regular hub?

Also, that is a really, REALLY good looking chair, well done.
    Thanks, and yes, I can fit four fingers in between the spokes when grabbing the hubs. If you don't care about the looks, the x laced wheels are definitely worth it just for that.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Have you considered the carbon fiber Spinergy Blade wheels? They are SUPER lightweight and all black. They've been my everydays for the past few years.
    The lightest wheels I have are the Outfront Shadows that come standard on TiLite chairs. I have ordered Spinergy Blades because they are even lighter.

Outfront Shadow weighs 1.67 pounds (24" wheel)
    Spinergy Blade weighs 1.25 pounds (wheel size not specified)

I figure a few grams on either wheel (I think the blade was like 100 grams lighter or something, isn't going to make a massive difference to me. I put heavy thick schwalbe marathons on there and extra thick tubes and I'm going with titanium handrims (my understanding is they actually weigh more than the aluminum ones) purely because I'm getting this weird oxidation from my current aluminum handrims and hoping to avoid that with titanium (mostly it's an experiment).

Being able to grab the wheels easier and clean them easier will probably make a bigger difference to the utility I get out of a wheel. Lifting a well balanced wheel over my body puts minimal strain on my shoulders as opposed to the heavy frame and I think the emphasis on minimizing "unsprung" weight as it were is overblown when it comes to the low speeds we operate at.

What are the advatanges you guys have noticed with the lighter wheels?

Here?s a picture of my Carbon Blades. I?ve had them about 3 months the hubs stay clean easily.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Those are the new Spinergy stainless handrims in the picture.

Stsmark and Stephen, what handrims do you have? They do not look smooth. Is there some texture or roughness to them. I currently have smooth black plastic coated ones, and any rain or snow and they are very hold to get a grip on.

Thanks
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe-MN View Post
    Stsmark and Stephen, what handrims do you have? They do not look smooth. Is there some texture or roughness to them. I currently have smooth black plastic coated ones, and any rain or snow and they are very hold to get a grip on.

Thanks
    +1 how do you like those hand rims? Haven’t seen any like that before.

Being able to grab the wheels easier and clean them easier will probably make a bigger difference to the utility I get out of a wheel.
    You may want to look at the Natural-Fit handrim. The shape helps to grip better. If you want extra grip, then consider the Surge option. It's a thin rubber strip that runs along the top of the handrim. Not sure I would order the Surge option again because the rubber comes off and stains your palms.

Let us know what you think of the titanium handrim. I am considering getting them because there is no anodization or rubber to end up on your palms. Plus they won't scratch.

+1 how do you like those hand rims? Haven’t seen any like that before.
    STsmark has a set of Spinergy TC Stainless Steel Handrims. Coincidentally, these are the rims I have mounted on my Spinergy Carbon Blades, too. You can read the product description to see what their selling features are. Personally, I don't love love love them. The knurled surface of the rim, I think, provides less direct surface contact with your hands and thus requires slightly greater grip force as compared to a conventional pushrim, and a lot more than what's required to propel a Surge (rubber gripped) push rim. As s result, the TC rims may be contributing to the return of some carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms that I've experienced in the past.

As with everything wheelchair part related, there is no perfect product for all users. For shear energy transfer, I really like the Surge LT rims but if you're not wearing gloves, the rubber will take the skin off your hands when you're going down hill.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    I really like the Surge LT rims but if you're not wearing gloves, the rubber will take the skin off your hands when you're going down hill.
    You learn how to grip it while going downhill. Unlike a circular handrim, the Natural-fit (with or without the Surge option) is oblong. When going downhill, you don't touch the top and grip the handrim on the other 3 sides with the palm up. No burn.

Speaking of getting a better push and carpel tunnel syndrome, the thumb piece option provides a more ergonomic way to engage your thumb in the push. Rather than having to wrap your thumb around the handrim, you rest your thumb in the track between the handrim and the wheel. The combination of the oblong shape plus the thumb piece enables you to grip the handrim with the hand in a more open position. I'm not sure I could go back to a circular handrim.