Thread: Kidney cancer question

Kidney cancer question

Has anyone had any experience with kidney cancer? I'm a C4 quad (34 years). I've had kidney stones removed twice over the years, so every year I have a renal ultrasound to check for stones. On my latest ultrasound, there was a stone in my left kidney, and a mass (2x2x2) in my right kidney, which was confirmed on a CT scan. I'm scheduled to go get a CT scan with contrast on Wednesday. Wondering if anybody had any experiences or advice about kidney cancer if that is the case.
    Thanks

Sorry I have no words of insight for you. But, good luck and let us know what is going on as you find out.

Best
    GJ

I have it, 5.7 cm. It started out small and kept growing. My doctors are recommending surgical removal.
    Last edited by xsfxsf; 03-04-2019 at 03:56 PM.

I was diagnosed with kidney cancer in July 2017. The tumor was found during my
    annual renal ultrasound and confirmed with CT scan. It was 5.2 cm and confined to the kidney. In October 2017 the tumor was removed and to date I have received a clean bill of health. I would be happy to answer any questions you might.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    I was diagnosed with kidney cancer in July 2017. The tumor was found during my
    annual renal ultrasound and confirmed with CT scan. It was 5.2 cm and confined to the kidney. In October 2017 the tumor was removed and to date I have received a clean bill of health. I would be happy to answer any questions you might.
    thank you for responding, it sounds like I have a similar path. Was spotted on my annual ultrasound as well, I have had a CT scan, and have been scheduled for a similar scan with contrast. Dr. told me from what he saw on the original CT scan these are generally 75% cancer. If you don't mind me asking, did they remove just the mass in your particular instance, or a portion of the kidney? I'd like to find out more about what options are available. I guess I have some digging to do. Thanks for your input, greatly appreciated.

They had to remove part of the kidney in order to make sure no cancer was left behind, but from what the surgeon told me I have approximately 80% of my kidney and my kidney function is normal. I feel as good as ever and back to my normal activities. Apparently there are a number of options available to treat renal cancer, but because of the location and size of the tumor my only two options were complete or partial removal of the kidney. Hope this helps!

They had to remove part of the kidney in order to make sure no cancer was left behind, but from what the surgeon told me I have approximately 80% of my kidney and my kidney function is normal. I feel as good as ever and back to my normal activities. Apparently there are a number of options available to treat renal cancer, but because of the location and size of the tumor my only two options were complete or partial removal of the kidney. Hope this helps!
    thanks so much for your response, greatly appreciated. Did you have any symptoms prior to being diagnosed? I really have had no symptoms best I can tell, although I am a high level quad. Very unexpected. Thanks again!

My level of injury is C5 and I had no symptoms. I must admit I had recently moved to California and had not had a renal ultrasound for several years primarily because I felt physically very good. I was fortunate the urologist I found here insisted on getting a baseline and wanted several tests run including the ultrasound. As you go through the process feel free to ask me any questions!

My level of injury is C5 and I had no symptoms. I must admit I had recently moved to California and had not had a renal ultrasound for several years primarily because I felt physically very good. I was fortunate the urologist I found here insisted on getting a baseline and wanted several tests run including the ultrasound. As you go through the process feel free to ask me any questions!
    thank you again old-school, much appreciated. Sitting here in Massachusetts with 17 inches of snow, I sure wish I had moved to San Diego. LOL
    all the best, thanks again!