Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gas crisis

tim

I don/t know the answer to ur question as I don/t have that problem but for me colostomy is a blessing freedom and my dignity back

Blog Entries
    I'm consistently warned I'd be trading one problem for another with a colo. Maybe I'm talking to the wrong medical professionals or my problems lie deeper..

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    tim

I don/t know the answer to ur question as I don/t have that problem but for me colostomy is a blessing freedom and my dignity back
    I agree 100% with vjls! It's a game changer!

What is the supplement?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetracyclone View Post
    Tim,
    I am having a surprising experience this year regarding intestinal function. In early February I purchased a collagen supplement in the hope of finding an easily digested protein. I have had very painful gas and bloating in response to a wide range of foods for years. By early March I noticed my skin seemed somewhat better- less dry and flaky plus a scaly patch in the gluteal cleavage (yup, that is a term) was softening up. Same thing with a scaly patch on my belly where my pants rub the skin. I never expected that the sales claims might prove true!

Follow to the last few weeks where I'm seeing incontrovertible evidence that my digestion is improving a lot without change of diet. Stool is softer. gas happens but passes through with much less resistance. That could be because bloating has nearly disappeared, even when I eat my beloved black bean tamales.

I know that Chinese medicine links skin quality and intestinal function, since both are organs of elimination, but have not dug deeper to understand he logic. All I know is the sales claims are proving true for me. I had lost hope of ever regaining a comfortable life, but wow! This timeI won the lottery!

(the usual disclaimers where i point out everyone is different.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    I'm consistently warned I'd be trading one problem for another with a colo. Maybe I'm talking to the wrong medical professionals or my problems lie deeper..
    can I be nosey and askthe problems they say u would have with the colo there are so many threads positive on it to each his own though but I love it I have my freedom

Is there an odor problem if your out at resturant or unable to empty at a certain time?
    Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    can I be nosey and askthe problems they say u would have with the colo there are so many threads positive on it to each his own though but I love it I have my freedom

There should not be an odor problem if you manage your colostomy correctly. Change the bag as you need to and make sure that you manage your diet.

I am not sure what problems they may be alluding to - it does take some getting used to and you do need to work with a wound and ostomy nurse to figure some things out, but I can not think of a person I know who had it done that is not thrilled with the decision.

I would ask the providers to be more specific about these problems.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SLIQNES View Post
    Is there an odor problem if your out at resturant or unable to empty at a certain time?
    I have had my colostomy about 5 years. One of the best decisions I've ever made. SCI-NURSE is correct. I don't have any problems with odor.

Tim I don't know if there's away to predict it. Can only share what I've heard and know first hand. Seems anybody ive spoken with ended up gas free, yet to talk to someone with one who suffers from gas I pains like you do.. and I did.

I cashed in all my problems with the ostomy, best decision of my quadriplegic life.

Blog Entries
    Thank you Hackensack, and Vjls and SCI Nurse:
    I guess I was wondering what were your underlying reasons for getting the Colo to begin with ?
    was it due to the difficulty of the BM ??
    Or did you experience the constant cramping, bowel accidents , Constipation?
    what type of motility supplements do you use now?
    I genuinely am grateful for your comments and suggestions!