Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gas crisis

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    Shaun, Did you suffer gas pain, do other sci feel it?
    What motility drugs do you use?
    I don't understand it.
    Thank u
    Yep, horrible gas pain. Iberogast is only thing that brought me a bit of relief.
    https://www.iberogast.com.au/

I have a way of expelling gas but it may not be possible for everyone. I lay in bed, put my legs over each side of the bed (so that I am straddling the bed) and then lean over until my body is lying flat (on my belly). If I have gas, I fart like crazy. My family/caregiver kinda pushes/squeezes my abdomen to get out the rest.

Having long legs (I'm 6'6") and having limber hips gives me the ability to do this, be careful if you try it.

Have you seen a gastro doc? I second August West's suggestion. I spent 8 or 9 years suffering horribly with gas. It seemed that everything led to gas. I was wrong. I reached a point where I noticed certain meals allowed me to feel ok. Usually vegetables with almonds or sun flower seeds. I built from there. Cut out all beans and soy milk. Cut out dairy- oh, that was difficult. At this point I began to see changes. Fortunately I can walk a bit and get onto the floor. Laying on my stomach and just breathing was good for moving gas. I use a Xilitol gum to combat dry mouth at night. That adds to the gas load. Breads and desserts, anything with sugar adds tothe gas load as happy little yeast (candida) critters consume it and produce gas in the gut, just like they do for beer when when you brew it.

If we are to help at all we need to know what you have tried and what your diet is like.

I feel for you. The pain is debilitating.

Blog Entries
    I don't get it.
    Am I the one and only who suffers soooo much gas pain? My god, the fluttering gut feels like I swallowed my electric razor on full speed.....and that's AFTER a full bowel movement.....and that's every damnned day. My quality of life can be measured in hours per week.
    Most mornings I pray for peaceful death by the time I'm out of shower at 11 am.
    I don't consume major sugar, except bread in soup, whicjh I'll kill. (Thank you Tetra!)

Blog Entries
    Maybe the daily dose of 2 ducolax, and 3 softeners that wist my stomach into knots?
    I don't know but can't deal. The sci is like a skin scratch compared to how debilitating this is.

Blog Entries
    Do the laxes suck out my body water and cause cramping? I know I can never intake enough water but too much result in overnight BMs.
    The more cramping the more spasms, body twitching, ugh....pain.

Blog Entries
    OK , there was once a time when your average threads on CC would draw a bunch of posts, including trolls, and even more in hijacked threads.
    These days these messsge boards are sparten.
    Are there less SCI?
    Or can we point to mr zuckerberg?

Should I offer $0.50 per reply?

Do you do your bowel program daily?
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Blog Entries
    Everyday I submit to the God of BP, it's miserable!

Do some elect colostomies without other underlying medl issues?
    Like how can you predict that colostomy would eliminate gas pain and troubles?

Tim,
    I am having a surprising experience this year regarding intestinal function. In early February I purchased a collagen supplement in the hope of finding an easily digested protein. I have had very painful gas and bloating in response to a wide range of foods for years. By early March I noticed my skin seemed somewhat better- less dry and flaky plus a scaly patch in the gluteal cleavage (yup, that is a term) was softening up. Same thing with a scaly patch on my belly where my pants rub the skin. I never expected that the sales claims might prove true!

Follow to the last few weeks where I'm seeing incontrovertible evidence that my digestion is improving a lot without change of diet. Stool is softer. gas happens but passes through with much less resistance. That could be because bloating has nearly disappeared, even when I eat my beloved black bean tamales.

I know that Chinese medicine links skin quality and intestinal function, since both are organs of elimination, but have not dug deeper to understand he logic. All I know is the sales claims are proving true for me. I had lost hope of ever regaining a comfortable life, but wow! This timeI won the lottery!

(the usual disclaimers where i point out everyone is different.)