Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Van, car, SUV??????

Keep in mind also that many injuries occur during car transfers. I know of an SCIs who broke their tibia on a car transfer, accidentally banging his osteoporosis leg into the side of the car. Then there is weather issues; dragging a manual over your body when it's covered in snow, water, mud, etc. isn't fun.

IMHO, you should use insurance to get the best chair they will pay for. If the Quickie standing chair was available in the US I'd go for that. Barring that I'd go for the Permobil standing chair. Reason being that standing is uber important (IMHO) for spasticity and pain. I use the Permobil standing chair at work where I have a standing desk. I mainly tilt in space for pressure issues, but I also stand a couple hours each day while working.

Buy the manual on your own as it's much cheaper than any power chair. If he's going to insist on driving a car, consider a folding chair for ease of stow.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Saw the "rant" post and a manual is key. I have many friends with steps into their house and, when they have a party, 4 friends grab me in my manual and carry me up. Heck, I once did a work dinner at a restaurant mezzanine dining room by having a couple big guys carry me, fireman style, up the stairs.

Obstacles are meant to be overcome and a manual chair helps with this in many situations.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Saw the "rant" post and a manual is key. I have many friends with steps into their house and, when they have a party, 4 friends grab me in my manual and carry me up. Heck, I once did a work dinner at a restaurant mezzanine dining room by having a couple big guys carry me, fireman style, up the stairs.

Obstacles are meant to be overcome and a manual chair helps with this in many situations.
    that how I got in my house when hurricane micheal cam national guard picked me up 2 of them and up the stairs we went no problem next day elevator got fixed

Quote Originally Posted by dee1843 View Post
    Question about transportation and wheelchairs. My son is C4 complete but will be able to get into a manual chair because he has good arm and should strength---and hopefully those triceps keep trying to fire!!! We currently have a used adaptive van I bought but he doesn't want to drive that when he is able to drive again (16yrs old- 10 days of driving with license, then accident). I hear many people talk about having a power chair and a manual chair. What do you drive? Anyway to get away from a van? I know I should let insurance buy him a powerchair (still in a loaner) and we will have to buy a manual. Can you share your experience???
    compromise get a truck that he can drive from chair I am c6c7 quad no way I can break a chair down no do I want to think about it rain snow wind I hate being wet think about me in a rain storm trying to open car dor and transfer in break hair down ur going to be soaked and miserable if its cold ur going to be freezing and ur body is gonna rebel. even with these truck at least you can put on a poncho look at a good used 4 dr truck