Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any advice on pushing in snow?

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    Stay in for the season!!?? Hell no. Life goes on. It's mainly home to car, then drive car to places that have plowed the snow: shopping, restaurants, etc. If there's too much snow, the schools, etc. are closed and you can stay home.

Have extra pairs of gloves.

Leather insulated work gloves are very good, but still have extra pairs.

I don't think that there is that much difference in traction between tires with a tread and smooth ones.

Wheelies if you can. All weight on 'drive' wheels then, and the fronts are not causing any drag or resistance.

Any sort of incline can cause MAJOR problems (as someone else said).

Glare ice, and any sort of slope, you are screwed.

Fresh, un-trampled snow is often quite a bit easier, once snow starts to get trampled, there is a crust or layer that wheelchairs will break through, and then things get quite a bit harder to push through (this also applies to cars).

Handrims that are set close to the tire can be very hard to get a grip on.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Been dealing with Minnesota winters for all my life and 34 years in chair. I rarely stay home because of snow. Usually put new tires on every October. I have been surprised that tread style doesn't seem to matter that much. Like others have said be prepared extra gloves etc. Just really think about where you park , have a cell phone on you. One trick i have used is use my vehicle to flatten snow or make a track to sidewalk.
    I think worst thing is a curb cut after snow plow goes and it doesn't get re-shoveled cause you have to go up the incline. so it kind of comes pack to really think before you park esp if no one is around. If all else fails move to Florida lol

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    Good tip, thank you. Must be hard on our hands though. I've tried pushing through sand it was incredibly hard, made it a few feet doing wheelies. The cold and loss of traction in snow, wow, maybe it's too hard. One of my biggest fears is losing control of the chair - I can't do anything if I am sliding. Do people who use chairs where it snows mostly stay in for the season?

I've seen where you put zip ties on with squares towards road . I've never tried this seems lot a lot of work but seem like it would work.

I use a power chair and have gotten stuck in the mushy snow. I just spin. I too have used my glove under a tire to get traction. Had to call someone upstairs once to get out. I have learned to not stop or slow down once I am moving until I get to the door and then I close my vehicle door. Yes zip ties can work until you go inside and catch the rug or carpet. I just think a little more about going out a thinking of parking lot conditions. Seldom stay home because of snow.

Try to avoid it.
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe-MN View Post
    Have extra pairs of gloves.

Leather insulated work gloves are very good, but still have extra pairs.

I don't think that there is that much difference in traction between tires with a tread and smooth ones.

Wheelies if you can. All weight on 'drive' wheels then, and the fronts are not causing any drag or resistance.

Any sort of incline can cause MAJOR problems (as someone else said).

Glare ice, and any sort of slope, you are screwed.

Fresh, un-trampled snow is often quite a bit easier, once snow starts to get trampled, there is a crust or layer that wheelchairs will break through, and then things get quite a bit harder to push through (this also applies to cars).

Handrims that are set close to the tire can be very hard to get a grip on.
    Thanks. What about carrying the extra pair after they are wet?

Quote Originally Posted by pete4sake View Post
    Been dealing with Minnesota winters for all my life and 34 years in chair. I rarely stay home because of snow. Usually put new tires on every October. I have been surprised that tread style doesn't seem to matter that much. Like others have said be prepared extra gloves etc. Just really think about where you park , have a cell phone on you. One trick i have used is use my vehicle to flatten snow or make a track to sidewalk.
    I think worst thing is a curb cut after snow plow goes and it doesn't get re-shoveled cause you have to go up the incline. so it kind of comes pack to really think before you park esp if no one is around. If all else fails move to Florida lol

Interesting to hear the tread style doesn't make much difference. Thanks for the tip about curb ramps.

Quote Originally Posted by Eds View Post
    I've seen where you put zip ties on with squares towards road . I've never tried this seems lot a lot of work but seem like it would work.
    Interesting idea. I don't know how well they would stay on of if they would make a big difference but I am thinking the moment you came inside with wet tires and hard floors the cabel ties would make you slip like crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavender lady View Post
    I use a power chair and have gotten stuck in the mushy snow. I just spin. I too have used my glove under a tire to get traction. Had to call someone upstairs once to get out. I have learned to not stop or slow down once I am moving until I get to the door and then I close my vehicle door. Yes zip ties can work until you go inside and catch the rug or carpet. I just think a little more about going out a thinking of parking lot conditions. Seldom stay home because of snow.
    Glad to hear you don't stay in because of the weather. That's encouraging. Scary you have to worry about keeping moving. AB folks have no idea of the stuff we deal with just to do something ordinary.