Thread: Alternative locks + power assist wheels

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Alternative locks + power assist wheels

I'm speccing up a new 'chair at the moment. Highly likely to be TiLite for a load of reasons. Will be used much of the time with powered (e-motion) wheels. The rest of the time with manual wheels. I cannot operate any brake on my right hand side, on the manual wheels, and I'd really like to be able to.

Are there any aftermarket brakes (Surelock, D's, ADI etc.) which will work on the manual wheels of a 'chair which is fitted with e-motion wheels? Has anyone done it? I've asked and I feel like the answer I'm getting is 'no' without a reason, as such. Obviously I realise they'd not work with the e-motion wheels, but is there something about the e-motion bracket which means they couldn't work when in manual mode?

Thanks for any help - this place is full of such wonderful knowledge and I know if I get a 'no, that's not possible' here then it's the truth!

Quote Originally Posted by EmilyL View Post
    I'm speccing up a new 'chair at the moment. Highly likely to be TiLite for a load of reasons. Will be used much of the time with powered (e-motion) wheels. The rest of the time with manual wheels. I cannot operate any brake on my right hand side, on the manual wheels, and I'd really like to be able to.

Are there any aftermarket brakes (Surelock, D's, ADI etc.) which will work on the manual wheels of a 'chair which is fitted with e-motion wheels? Has anyone done it? I've asked and I feel like the answer I'm getting is 'no' without a reason, as such. Obviously I realise they'd not work with the e-motion wheels, but is there something about the e-motion bracket which means they couldn't work when in manual mode?

Thanks for any help - this place is full of such wonderful knowledge and I know if I get a 'no, that's not possible' here then it's the truth!
    Oh dear! No replies!

Does that mean the answer is 'no chance' or just that no one knows the answer?

not really. i would consider twions over emotions too.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    not really. i would consider twions over emotions too.
    Unfortunately I can't make the twions work - I did demo them but my right side is weaker than my left and I just went round in circles. Why do you say twions instead; the emotions (the new ones) are more fully featured than twions?

Thanks for the answer on brakes, sadtimes!

Quote Originally Posted by EmilyL View Post
    Unfortunately I can't make the twions work - I did demo them but my right side is weaker than my left and I just went round in circles. Why do you say twions instead; the emotions (the new ones) are more fully featured than twions?

Thanks for the answer on brakes, sadtimes!
    have you tried a zx-1, may be better option for you. i have one works very well. i use it like at the zoo, fairs, going downtown ect.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

There are no options because the motors on the hubs have to interface with a bracket on the frame. That is exactly where a hub lock would need to attach.

I'm still trying to gauge where the current iteration of Twions fit in with users who don't have full upper extremity function (the Mobility Plus Package is no longer available in the US). The FDA apparently has some concerns about the implementation of the Bluetooth technology in these products.

That same concern has also delayed the US release of the next generation of Alber's e-motion M15 wheels--the M25's. They are about half the weight of M15's but have an advertised top speed of 5.8 mph and a range of 15 miles. They must be built well because the user weight limit for the M25's is 330 lbs.

http://www.invacare.eu.com/e-motion-...70emotionm25en

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    There are no options because the motors on the hubs have to interface with a bracket on the frame. That is exactly where a hub lock would need to attach.

I'm still trying to gauge where the current iteration of Twions fit in with users who don't have full upper extremity function (the Mobility Plus Package is no longer available in the US). The FDA apparently has some concerns about the implementation of the Bluetooth technology in these products.

That same concern has also delayed the US release of the next generation of Alber's e-motion M15 wheels--the M25's. They are about half the weight of M15's but have an advertised top speed of 5.8 mph and a range of 15 miles. They must be built well because the user weight limit for the M25's is 330 lbs.

http://www.invacare.eu.com/e-motion-...70emotionm25en
    I sortof see what you mean. And that would mean they couldn't even be used when the e-motions weren't on the 'chair, if the bracket was there it would stop their use?