Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Hand Control Questions

Right side hand controls should have a brake hold feature. Because how else can you shift in/out of park and reverse? With left side hand controls you can hold the brake with your left hand and shift gears with your right hand. Last but not least, left side hand controls enable to you to control the gas, brake, and steer all with the left hand (not recommended for long but doable for a second) so you can shift a clutchless manual transmission, adjust the radio, climate control, or just sip your drink with your right hand.

good point!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Wow. Thanks for all the input! I?ve used the basic left handed push/pull type hand controls for 35 years now. It might take a bit of getting used to if I switch it up now with my new car, but I?m glad to see there are so many options. I?ll have to see what works best for me. Thanks again! -Crazy8

Ah I suppose that is a feature for those who do not use cruise control all the time like myself. Plus with the steering wheel controls I don't find myself wishing my hand controls were on the other side. I don't mean to bash the left side...but I think hell would have to freeze over for me to go to holding the brakes manually!

Quote Originally Posted by juniorsenior View Post
    Ah I suppose that is a feature for those who do not use cruise control all the time like myself.
    To each his own. That's why there are so many options. Do you use cruise control for city driving?

JuniorSenior, like you, I am just sharing my ideas not bashing someone else's ideas. But I do have some concerns about right side hand controls. If you are adjusting the radio, climate control, or just sipping your drink (naturally with your right hand), then you don't have either hand on the brake at that moment. I find that to be dangerous. You never know when you need to slam on the brake. Any delay on the brake could be the difference between life and death.

We all get away things we shouldn't do... until we don't. Then we end up in a wheelchair or worse.

Please don't take this personally. It's my 2 cents and I think it's worth sharing.

People drive from their wheelchairs that don't have backs that are above their neck. Why? Because it's convenient. To each his own. But what if you get rear ended and whiplash? You could go from a para to a quad. Maybe I'm just getting older and more careful. But safety matters more to me now. If it mattered more to me 36 years ago, maybe I wouldn't be a para today.
    Last edited by August West; 03-03-2019 at 09:48 PM.

For the OP, SureGrip who makes the Featherlite’s also has a mechanical line. Either can be left or right side and they have 4 formats of motion for either.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy8 View Post
    Wow. Thanks for all the input! I?ve used the basic left handed push/pull type hand controls for 35 years now. It might take a bit of getting used to if I switch it up now with my new car, but I?m glad to see there are so many options. I?ll have to see what works best for me. Thanks again! -Crazy8
    Pardon the trainwreck of a thread, but the Featherlites are available in a push/pull configuration also. Also note that Chrysler also will toss in $1K towards the purchase of hand controls for that Challenger reducing the comparatively higher cost of electronic controls in comparison to mechanical. I'd go with Featherlites

http://featherlite-hvl.com/

Thanks for the link Andy. Very informative site. Also, I was glad to see that Chrysler is still doing the $1K rebate for my hand controls. I understand the rules have gotten quite strict. Back in the day the dealership would just give me the check to go and get my hand controls. Now, from what I understand, it is much more complicated. You need to go to a certified installer blah, blah, blah. Hey for thousand bucks I?ll play their game.

This is is totally unrelated, but anyone have a clue why when I use some punctuation symbols in this forum they always come up on my posts as question marks? I am using an iPhone and even though I preview my posts, once I hit send some symbols are switched to question marks. Not sure if I am doing something wrong or if it?s just a glitch?

No clue why but I have the same issue. Using an IPhone also.