Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Hand Control Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    BMW 6 series...I'm impressed. One mechanical repair away from being totaled, cool! And all those cheery fault lights really illuminate your path into the cabin...nice! Headlights still working?
    My Monte Carlo lasted 20 years with less repair than my BMW in 1 year. So you're right. But on the other hand, the Monte Carlo, like all American cars including your Challenger, gets sloppy pretty quick. My BMW performs like new after 13 years. You get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    My Monte Carlo lasted 20 years with less repair than my BMW in 1 year. So you're right. But on the other hand, the Monte Carlo, like all American cars including your Challenger, gets sloppy pretty quick. My BMW performs like new after 13 years. You get what you pay for.
    Oh no's! My Challenger will get sloppy quick? Man I feel dumb for buying that. Should have paid the big bucks for a BMW. You convinced me...there's a ton of ancient BMWs at the various BHPH lots, I'm going shopping!

I extend you an olive branch and you immediately snap it. You're a hopeless troll.

I extend you an olive branch and you immediately snap it. You're a hopeless troll.
    Yo bruh, you called my Challenger sloppy and implied I was too poor to buy a BMW...I think that branch fell and hit you in the head

Blog Entries
    Don't like making a car hand-control only operation. Wouldn't work for me. 3 drivers share 2 cars in my household, and only one of us needs handcontrols. Neat idea for some folks, though, but too limited for me.

Depends on what you are looking for. Monarchs are a good hand control for a utility vehicle or a little old lady driving style. If you want performance then go with Freedom Staff hand controls.

https://www.amazon.com/Freedom-Staff.../dp/B005P9SHGK

These are way more sporty for applying gas. Because the Monarchs (and all permanent hand controls) are secured with steel hardware, the gas can be applied in one direction only. It's stiff and boring. Because the portable hand controls are secured with a nylon strap, gas can be applies not only back/forth but also side/side. The back/forth motion moves the gas pedal over the full range. The side/side motion moves the gas pedal only slightly for fine tuning the amount of gas applied. Hence, you can apply gas back/forth on a straightaway and apply gas side/side for cornering. This feature offers way better handling, a better feel, and more enjoyable driving experience. You can also apply gas with either hand. You pull back with the left hand or you push forward with the right hand. This is a nice feature to prevent fatigue. No other hand control enables this.

They are also the least expensive and you can install them yourself in a few minutes. But like a sports car, what excites someone scares someone else. The amount of freedom of motion may scare some people. They aren't for everyone.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Don't like making a car hand-control only operation. Wouldn't work for me. 3 drivers share 2 cars in my household, and only one of us needs handcontrols. Neat idea for some folks, though, but too limited for me.
    I get that. There is a workaround. You mount the pedal grips diagonally over the corner of the pedals such that it take up one upper corner of the pedal and the majority of the pedal is free for foot control. I admit it's not for everyone as some may be scared with the hardware in place. But it's totally doable for a savvy able-bodied driver.

Having said all this, there are two things I should bring to your attention: 1) the nylon strap means it's free to float (as discussed above), which can be good or bad, depending on your take; and 2) It may take considerable effort to apply gas if the pedal is stiff. But this issue applies to any push-pull hand control (this problem does not exist with the right-angle type hand control). But there is a work-around for that too. Instead of pulling the left side handle, you simply push the bar on the right that goes directly to the accelerator pedal. It's much easier to push than to pull. This shouldn't be a problem for most cars because the pedals tend to have little resistance. But my Econoline van is a beast. The heavy-duty springs on the throttle cable have strong resistance. I guess another work-around would be to replace those springs with lighter-duty ones. But they are there for a reason, to make you go slow with a 6000 lb vehicle.

Long story short, there's lots of flexibility. Worst case, you still can't go wrong. Because even if you don't like it for everyday use, you can still use it for travel. It comes with a travel bag and the whole thing is the size of a small kid's baseball bat. That way, you can rent a 2-door car when traveling. Most rental car companies will only rent you one model car anymore, which is typically a 4-door car. An able-bodied person can install them in 10 minutes. Takes me 30 minutes. Most of that time is positioning myself in an awkward shape.
    Last edited by August West; 03-01-2019 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Yo bruh, you called my Challenger sloppy and implied I was too poor to buy a BMW...I think that branch fell and hit you in the head
    I specifically included my own car when I said EVERY American car gets sloppy. But you take it personally.

You said BMWs are expensive to fix. I didn't take it personally. In fact, I agreed. That's why I explained that I find it worth the money when I said you get what you pay for. But you take that personally too. Aren't you the delicate Snowflake!

I got an idea. If you're going to troll me, grow some balls because you're going to need em. Or back off and I'll treat you nicely...snowflake.

By the way, why did you sell the Monte Carlo if it was still in good condition? I sold mine because it got sloppy. But yours must have been an exception? Did you install new steering, suspension, and transmission? Because they all get sloppy after about 7 years in an American car. Your fellow troll who you sold it to says you cleaned it with your diaper. So I'm sure it still shines.

Grow some balls and brains while you're at it. Yeah, you're right back in the asshole camp in 2 seconds, right where you belong.
    Last edited by August West; 03-01-2019 at 06:27 PM.

Easy there tough guy!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Last edited by nick; 03-01-2019 at 10:19 PM.

I expect a 6 series Beemer is a pretty fine ride. And, IMO, the older the better
    Let's see a photo or at least nail down the model, please. (Looking in Andy's garage, I see he must prefer to drive the import and not the Detroit Dog!)

I must agree that until very recently all hand controls sucked, but you choice a little strange (although I never really understood a friend with a Volvo R70 who used your setup the whole 7? years he drove it)

Leave Nick and Andy alone, wouldn't ya'? Don't you know they're stuck somewhere most of us grew out of long ago. There responses are predictable.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ