Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I've been diagnosed with Esophageal SSC late stage 0

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    I can still take large breaths and I workout a couple times a week, but I cannot cough for jack spit. Had my first, post-injury cold a couple weeks ago and it sucked basically using that clear-one's-throat thing to get the phlegm out of my chest. Sorry, kinda off topic...
    If you don't have one, ask your doc for a cough assist device. I ended up in the ER from the one cold I've had In 8 years as C7. I had almost blacked out twice from an inability to clear the phlegm from my throat. When I went home, the doc prescribed me a cough assist. It works for clearing my throat. Sorry for continuing the hijack, but this thing may save my life someday. Of course, that would depend on me clearing my throat preemptively (which I started doing for as long as the cold lasted) or being within quick rolling distance when I have the complete blockage.

Quote Originally Posted by endo_aftermath View Post
    If you don't have one, ask your doc for a cough assist device. I ended up in the ER from the one cold I've had In 8 years as C7. I had almost blacked out twice from an inability to clear the phlegm from my throat. When I went home, the doc prescribed me a cough assist. It works for clearing my throat. Sorry for continuing the hijack, but this thing may save my life someday. Of course, that would depend on me clearing my throat preemptively (which I started doing for as long as the cold lasted) or being within quick rolling distance when I have the complete blockage.
    I don't think anyone would think you are hijacking this thread if you posted a link to the type of cough assist device you use. I searched the internet and found devices from around $50.00 to $1500. Wonder whether Medicare would pay for this device.

Mutley: sorry to hear of your illness and hope you can get further medical advice. The lung precaution from the doctor seems strange.

gjnl: Medicare covered rental of my cough assist machine for one year, then ownership became mine. They may still do it this way.

You may want to buy a pulse oxymeter for about 25$. This fingertip device measures how well you are oxygenating your blood. I am T-10 age 74 and I usually have a level of about 98%, comparable to most AB's. It would seem to me that if you do frequent checks and receive similar results that you are not compromised regarding pulmonary function

Prayers coming your way Mutley.
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

Endo, can you post a link to this device? I have to educate my doctors about such things.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    I don't think anyone would think you are hijacking this thread if you posted a link to the type of cough assist device you use. I searched the internet and found devices from around $50.00 to $1500. Wonder whether Medicare would pay for this device.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.