Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking at 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Rick1 View Post
    I think we know why... $$ $$
    I doubt a research grant is more desirable than the billions a cancer cure would be worth to a scientist. Nobody would burn a 100 billion dollar winning lottery ticket just to have a job to go to next week.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    I doubt a research grant is more desirable than the billions a cancer cure would be worth to a scientist. Nobody would burn a 100 billion dollar winning lottery ticket just to have a job to go to next week.
    Of course... I was simply referring to the earlier comment about why people "make such (five year) predictions."

Bottom line: A perpetual grant cycle can be as much a career strategy as it is a valuable research asset.
    Know Thyself

Going back to the original question, does anyone know of any others?

I don't know why people try to make such predictions. One would have thought there could have been a cure for cancer by now too but it hasn't happened.
    There has been enormous progress in the treatment of most cancer types in the past 20 years. Survival from and complete eradication of a person's cancer disease is common. Incurable HIV has been cured in some cases.

Meanwhile, there have been no effective commercial treatments developed and available for chronic SCI. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by quadfather View Post
    There has been enormous progress in the treatment of most cancer types in the past 20 years. Survival from and complete eradication of a person's cancer disease is common. Incurable HIV has been cured in some cases.

Meanwhile, there have been no effective commercial treatments developed and available for chronic SCI. Ever.
    SCI also hasn't had more than a tiny sliver of the money and manpower that HIV or cancer has had for the past 20 years.

SCI also hasn't had more than a tiny sliver of the money and manpower that HIV or cancer has had for the past 20 years.
    So what will it take to raise awareness about SCI? What? Who? How?

Blog Entries
    Don't orders of magnitude more people die from cancer, in the US, every single year (8-10,000,000) than are living today with SCI from every year combined (250-300,000)?! I think it's less a matter of awareness and more one of proportionality. Finite public resources command Utilitarian decisions.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments