Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best 2-Door Vehicles

Question Best 2-Door Vehicles

I am a T-12 para looking to replace a 2001 Cadillac Eldorado with a newer 2-door vehicle. I currently transfer into the driver?s seat, fold my Quickie, pull it into the car and slide it behind the passenger seat. It fits well without having to remove the wheels. However, the car keeps breaking down and is no longer reliable.

Does anyone use or know of any current model 2-door cars that can accommodate a wheelchair behind the passenger seat? In the past I was able to use the same process in a Cougar and in a Thunderbird, but it seems like 2-door cars have gotten much smaller. Does anyone have any experience with current 2-door cars?

Sorry. I posted this same question earlier on this forum but could not find the replies. I have since figured it out. Sorry for the repeat. My bad!

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy8 View Post
    Sorry. I posted this same question earlier on this forum but could not find the replies. I have since figured it out. Sorry for the repeat. My bad!
    May I ask how you solved the problem. If you stayed with a car and find workable 2 or 4 door?
    Thanks

BMW 3 series fit a chair nicely they are pretty roomy . Also doge challenger are big like the older cars you discribed but go to a dealer they will usually be more than happy to have you try it out just act like you plan on buying from them

I have a 2009 Chevy Colorado extended cab that works really well. The suicide style rear door makes loading my TiLite TX chair very easy. I also lowered the truck 3" so the seat height is same as my cushion height so transfers are easy too.

Last edited by rshadd; 02-24-2019 at 11:17 AM.
    T12 Complete since 1982. TiLite Tx

Well since you currently are driving a 2001 car, I am going to assume used is not a problem for you.

- The Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon as RShadd suggested. New model is tall, and expensive.
    - Ford Ranger last made in 2011, prior to the new model that just came out.
    - Honda Element, last made in 2011. I almost got one of these
    - There is a small Saturn with a small suicide door behind the driver's door. Has not been made in a long time
    - Mazda MPV or Mazda 5 (2004?2016)
    - Have you looked at any of the two door GM products, Monte Carlo, Grand Prix, etc
    - Toyota FJ Cruiser. Kind of tall, has a big blind spot (so I have read) and is expensive
    - If you want to go old school cool Mercedes had a two door sedan back in the 70's and 80's. Diesel

I may have the dates wrong on some of these, but you get the idea. If I was looking to replace my current vehicle, I would think long and hard about a low mileage Honda Element AWD. It would take a little time to find, but I am sure they are out there.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe-MN View Post
    - Mazda MPV or Mazda 5 (2004?2016)
    I have a 2014 Mazda 5 and there is no way I can fit a Quickie Xenon behind the passenger seat. The car seems to have rather limited rear leg space compared to my daily runaround 2010 Nissan Tiida (Versa in the USA)
    T4 complete since 30 April 2012

Quote Originally Posted by rshadd View Post
    I have a 2009 Chevy Colorado extended cab that works really well. The suicide style rear door makes loading my TiLite TX chair very easy. I also lowered the truck 3" so the seat height is same as my cushion height so transfers are easy too.

What's your routine for getting the chair in and out? Do you reach behind the seat and pull the chair in or ?. I'm interested because I've been thinking about a lowered truck for awhile and it looks like you've got it figured out.

Surprisingly roomy inside an Accord coupe. And light years more reliable than a NorthStar Horror, true luxury. I think you might like the memory seat in the Caddy, these have that also in V-6 models
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks so much for all the great and informative replies. Sorry for the delay responding, as I?ve been out to all the various dealerships investigating. I finally pulled the trigger and bought a new Dodge Challenger with the understanding that I will have to make some interior modifications to get my chair in and out.

Sit-N-Fly, you are correct. I transfer into the drivers seat and then reach behind the seat and pull the chair in, then push it across, behind the front passenger seat. As with the Eldorado I will have to have the center console cut down a bit as it extends too far into the back seat to easily slide the chair across. I have also learned from my previous vehicles to have lucite put over the backs of the front seats and on the ?under knee? area of the back seats to both protect the seats and help make getting the chair in and out easier. Using this system has worked for me over the years without having to take the wheels off my chair every time I get in and out of the car.