Thread: FTP app

FTP app

I need to get files off of one of my old websites, but it's been a number of years since I've done it. I used WS FTP in the past and I"m sure the subscription has expired, and their free version is no longer available. Any suggestions on one that's easy to use? TIA

I use Filezilla and think it is pretty straight forward., It is free. https://filezilla-project.org/

On Mac I use Transmit.

Quote Originally Posted by Moongazr View Post
    I need to get files off of one of my old websites, but it's been a number of years since I've done it. I used WS FTP in the past and I"m sure the subscription has expired, and their free version is no longer available. Any suggestions on one that's easy to use? TIA
    Why not just specify an FTP URL in your browser?

Code:
    ftp://your.site.com/path/to/files
    You should then be able to DL the individual files that you need (by clicking on them or right-clicking and selecting "Save As").

Note that IE will let you pull down entire directories (folders) whereas Firefox seems to be lacking this feature.

@automation, I never thought of that :-) . That reminds me of a story: when I saw the first web browser, called Mosaic, a long time ago, I literally didn't see the point of it. "Why not just use ftp?" I said. Sadly, that story epitomizes my business acumen.

Quote Originally Posted by xsfxsf View Post
    @automation, I never thought of that :-) . That reminds me of a story: when I saw the first web browser, called Mosaic, a long time ago, I literally didn't see the point of it. "Why not just use ftp?" I said. Sadly, that story epitomizes my business acumen.
    The File Transfer Protocol (FTP) allows content to be transferred as ASCII ("text") or BINARY. Transferring text as ASCII gives a small performance boost (FTP is OLD... dating to the days when "modems" were dog slow). Unfortunately, transferring content that is NOT "text" as ASCII ends up silently corrupting that material. So, you try to transfer a JPEG or music file (or an application!) and the FTP client mistakenly treats it as ASCII -- leaving you with a file that looks nothing like it did, originally.

The problem I frequently encounter with "FTP clients" -- particularly, programs that JUST do FTP -- is they often mishandle this transfer "mode". They typically try to guess the appropriate mode based on the name of the file (e.g., Memo.txt is probably ASCII while Photo.jpg is probably BINARY). Or, they make this choice available to the user in some of the configuration options.

The safer bet is to just treat everything as BINARY and forfeit that tiny potential performance gain when transferring text. Browsers seem to have learned this lesson (this wasn't always the case!). "FTP programs" still seem to want to bless you with the choice!

[I've been burned so many times that I now COMPARE what I've received to the original -- on my own servers -- just to make sure the FTP client hasn't tried to trip me up!]

Awesome info, thank you sooo much! Off to give it a try!

Quote Originally Posted by Moongazr View Post
    Awesome info, thank you sooo much! Off to give it a try!
    Note that IE may be a more "intuitive" interface. In particular, you can visit the FTP site using IE. Then, click on "Page" on the menu bar (it's over to the right side of the window). A menu will pop-up. At the very bottom of this menu, you will find "Open FTP site in Windows Explorer". If you click on this (you may have to confirm your desire to do this!), you will end up seeing the FTP site as if it was just another "folder" on your computer. You can then navigate that "FTP folder" just like you would any other folder on your computer -- including dragging things to other folders on YOUR computer.

This can be really helpful if you want to grab an entire folder from the FTP site -- just drag the folder onto your computer and all of its contents will come along with it (a folder of that same name will be created on your computer).