Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Petition for ADA/Access Board on hotel accessibility

They shared that it is a large undertaking, as they have 7000 hotels world-wide, but the impression I got was that they are committed to making it happen sooner than later.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    The people "Landrover" spoke with at Marriott addressed much more than accommodating a personal lift device. I was referring to these comments in "Landrover's" post.

In that the Marriott group of hotels has many hotels in the State of California, I would assume while they were doing "research" about accessibility standards, they would have become aware that the personal lift standards need to be met at their properties in California, currently. If they are researching purchasing beds that meet floor to mattress top heights, it seems it would be a good idea to factor in personal lift standards that most likely will be required elsewhere. But, that kind of forward thinking is greatly lacking in major corporations.

I can personally respond that in searching for hotels in and around downtown Los Angeles, I did not find one Marriott branded or Marriott owned chain (i.e., Marriott, JW Marriott, Courtyard, AC by Marriott etc.) properties that met the floor to mattress top standard or the personal lift access standard.
    The other standards landover mentioned have been around for years and hotels still don't follow them.

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    They shared that it is a large undertaking, as they have 7000 hotels world-wide, but the impression I got was that they are committed to making it happen sooner than later.
    Maybe they should have started years ago when the standards went into effect. Just saying!

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    The other standards landover mentioned have been around for years and hotels still don't follow them.
    That was my point in post #28.

That was my point in post #28.
    Glad we are on the same page. Did you report the hotels that did not meet the standards in Los Angeles?

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    Glad we are on the same page. Did you report the hotels that did not meet the standards in Los Angeles?
    No I didn't because I haven't stayed there and don't have first hand knowledge about their accessibility, no pictures, no measurement, no proof that I had been inconvenienced by the lack of these standards being met. All I have is what I was told by reservations at the hotels which is always questionable. I was trying to quickly screen a few properties that I was considering and when I hit the Omni and they were so accommodating, I stopped there.

No I didn't because I haven't stayed there and don't have first hand knowledge about their accessibility, no pictures, no measurement, no proof that I had been inconvenienced by the lack of these standards being met. All I have is what I was told by reservations at the hotels which is always questionable. I was trying to quickly screen a few properties that I was considering and when I hit the Omni and they were so accommodating, I stopped there.
    I understand that. I'm just happy to find a hotel that will work for us.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Please consider signing (and sharing with your friends and family as well) this petition to set Access Board standards for beds in hotel rooms billed as "accessible". Thanks!

http://chng.it/z5gMkwZzxS

(KLD)
    Sorry to be a downer but the pool of people traveling with a lift is so very very small that is not going to be cost effective for a whole industry to change.

The ADA is in place and its a guideline and with in the guideline we will never have everything covered but using that guideline and working with hotel leadership its interesting just what you can get working yourself with a phone call or an email to the right person.

Plus if you cant get it working try another hotel or a different brand.

I would like to see instead to teach people how to advocate for themselves on how to work with brands, hotel management and others in our community to be able to call hotels and know how to ask, and advocate for their own needs.

I have seen people go to a hotel all set only to find out the bed is to high or low for them to transfer or told they have a set up for a hoyer only to find out it wont fit under the bed.

Or the bed set up works but the rest of the room, bathroom etc doesn't work.

HACKNSACK44
    Is a perfect example of a master of self advocating now. I remember a few years ago he was getting married and reached out to me and needed help planning a trip to Las Vegas for their honeymoon.

From that trip he learned how to ask for things that would help, he and his new bride and then I think they planned a trip to Miami, then to New Orleans and on and on.

Did they a perfect no issues trip...NO but with each trip they both have learned with each trip but they continue to travel and now are working on a trip out of country!!

When people start putting out .org petitions it leads those that are on the fence about travel to think once signed its the end of there troubles.

It will never be perfect or equal, but with a little effort its possible and enjoyable!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    No, as long as they don't put in platform beds, there is no problem with having an appropriate height bed with enough clearance for a lift underneath...usually 4-6". The standards would also have a minimum and maximum height for the top of the mattress, similar to the standards now for toilet height. This is what you will find in most accessible cruise ship cabins, which were usually a level transfer for my mother from a power wheelchair. This is also the type of bed I have in my guest room where she stayed in my home when visiting me, when we used a mobile floor lift.

(KLD)
    Yes it can be done but I have never seen it done. Every hotel that has lower beds for ADA rooms (there's only been a few), has done so by removing the frame and setting the mattress and box springs directly on the floor. The space under the bed can be achieved by using low profile box springs.

gjnl makes a valid point though, not everyones accessible height is the same. He likes 24", my range is probably 19 - 22. I really don't see all (or even most) hotels updating to adjustable beds within the next five or ten year even if this petition causes the law to change. But if all beds were in the 20-23 ranges it would make traveling a lot less stressful.

Edit: After thinking about it, I think having an ongoing or Sticky thread on hotels with low bed or adjustable bed heights or overhead lifts could be a valuable resource. That way you wouldn't have to search all the individual threads on the subject. Could always remove it if it doesn't yield usable results.

I really hope people here will post when they find a hotel with accommodating beds.
    Last edited by wes4dbt; 04-06-2019 at 05:27 PM.

There is nothing wrong with people trying to work accessibility issues from very many perspectives, from petitions to self advocacy. Raising awareness about accessibility in hotels, airplanes, ground transportation (Uber/Lyft/Taxis) and everything in between is what we have to do to be heard. Educating your self about how to travel is one thing... trying to raise awareness about our struggle to travel, stay in a hotel room, watch a movie in a theatre, have access to ground transportation etc., is another aspect of advocating for equal access.

Never stop trying to raise awareness to accommodations in the world we have to deal with and live in.

If we roll over and accept that "it will never be perfect," we lose the battle at the start. We need to demand perfection and equality and work to that end.

Do what you have to do to get where you need or want to go now...but working toward, demanding change is not contraindicated by getting smart about how to work around the current system.
    Last edited by gjnl; 04-06-2019 at 11:28 PM.