Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Petition for ADA/Access Board on hotel accessibility

The clouds part, and wow, why is this not a part of my life. Thank you, Hacknsack! Letters going out to my representatives.

I wish they all could be California beds.

We made reservations at a hotel in Los Angeles for May. As part of the reservation process, we spoke with a Rooms Manager about the height at the top of the mattress. We were surprised to learn that at this hotel, the bed height is adjustable! She asked what height we wanted and told us that it would be adjusted for us for our arrival. Pretty cool!

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    We made reservations at a hotel in Los Angeles for May. As part of the reservation process, we spoke with a Rooms Manager about the height at the top of the mattress. We were surprised to learn that at this hotel, the bed height is adjustable! She asked what height we wanted and told us that it would be adjusted for us for our arrival. Pretty cool!
    That is awesome! It should be mandatory for all hotels! I spoke to the VP of Marriott Hotels. I talked to him about how hard it is to find a hotel that has a bed that will work with a hoyer lift. I sent him videos of a hoyer lift being used. I explained to him if they had atleast one room in their hotels with a bed that would work with a hoyer lift it would make life so much easier. He said he will check into it. I'm not holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    That is awesome! It should be mandatory for all hotels! I spoke to the VP of Marriott Hotels. I talked to him about how hard it is to find a hotel that has a bed that will work with a hoyer lift. I sent him videos of a hoyer lift being used. I explained to him if they had atleast one room in their hotels with a bed that would work with a hoyer lift it would make life so much easier. He said he will check into it. I'm not holding my breath.
    This is exactly the kind of thing I've got in mind. Would you mind sharing this person's contact info so that we can chime in? It's exciting to learn that others are dealing with the same issue, because we have been banging our heads against the wall for years about this.
    Last edited by Spitzbub; 03-30-2019 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Voice recognition error

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    Here you go.

California building code requirement for a clear height of 7 inches under the bed (Section 1111B.4.3):

(2010 CBC) 1111B.4.3 Access to beds. Accessible sleeping rooms shall have a 36-inch (914 mm) clear width maneuvering space located along both sides of a bed, except that where two beds are provided, this requirement can be met by providing a 36-inch-wide (914 mm) maneuvering space located between the beds. In addition, there shall be a clear space under the bed for the use of a personal lift device. The clear space shall be on a long side of the bed adjacent to an accessible aisle. The clear space shall extend horizontally to points not more than 12 inches (305 mm) from each end of the bed, vertically not less than 7 inches (178 mm), and not less than 30 inches (762 mm) deep.
    Yes, that is the law, but I know from experience that there is little or no enforcement or compliance with this in California. I would be great to be able to give a shout-out to those places that do comply.

Lancaster is not a place that a lot of people visit, but I was just there recently, stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Lancaster, and was assigned to a ADA room. It has a non-platform bed with adequate space for a floor-based lift, although higher than the preferred 20", and all other features of the room (wide doors, grab bars, roll-in shower with reachable water controls, etc.) were great.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    It has a non-platform bed with adequate space for a floor-based lift, although higher than the preferred 20"
    (KLD)
    I don't understand what you are talking about "higher than the preferred 20." Are to talking about the height of the bed from floor to top of mattress?

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    I don't understand what you are talking about "higher than the preferred 20." Are to talking about the height of the bed from floor to top of mattress?
    Yes.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

For me, a maximum of 20 inches high is pretty low. My best transfer height is 24 inches. Granted, I am 6'3" tall, taller than average.

Just as with most every rule or standard, it is next to impossible to accommodate everyone. So having a company willing/able to accommodate outside the standard/preferred measurements with an adjustable bed is really special.
    Last edited by gjnl; 03-30-2019 at 01:48 PM.

I am 5 4 and I like 24 that's my chair nice even transfer

The Disability Rights Education and Defense Fund (DREDF) recommends a bed height (floor to top of mattress) of 20" to 23." https://dredf.org/public-policy/dred...leeping-rooms/

Then there is always this :
    https://bedphramelift.com/
    www.newmobility.com/2017/11/end-high-hotel-beds/
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 03-30-2019 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Corrected URL