Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Petition for ADA/Access Board on hotel accessibility

Petition for ADA/Access Board on hotel accessibility

Please consider signing (and sharing with your friends and family as well) this petition to set Access Board standards for beds in hotel rooms billed as "accessible". Thanks!

http://chng.it/z5gMkwZzxS

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Signed.

I would add to the petition either clearance under the bed OR installation of ceiling mount lift.

The ceiling mount lift (Some Vegas hotels have) is best of all worlds as traveler needn't bring or rent a lift - Just bring your sling!

Signed and shared

I signed it but there seems a contradiction between adequate under-bed clearance and having a bed low enough to transfer into. I cannot count the number of hotel beds into which I have had to struggle. Occasionally the design has been such that hotel maintenance was able to lower the height, but not often. The fashion of high beds is odd and must be very annoying for lots of elderly folk as well as wheelchair users. Or just short people.

No, as long as they don't put in platform beds, there is no problem with having an appropriate height bed with enough clearance for a lift underneath...usually 4-6". The standards would also have a minimum and maximum height for the top of the mattress, similar to the standards now for toilet height. This is what you will find in most accessible cruise ship cabins, which were usually a level transfer for my mother from a power wheelchair. This is also the type of bed I have in my guest room where she stayed in my home when visiting me, when we used a mobile floor lift.

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 02-24-2019 at 01:06 AM.
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

done

Hi KLD,

Do you know if the state of California already has something like this, i.e., accessibility standards for hotel beds? I think I remember a long time ago, a member here mentioned something about that or said that she was involved with it somehow. I think she was in the travel industry and her username started with the letter E. Anyway, I'm looking for more information about this issue with hotel beds.

Thanks, & have a good weekend.
    Last edited by Spitzbub; 03-29-2019 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Voice recognition error

Quote Originally Posted by Spitzbub View Post
    Hi KLD,

Do you know if the state of California already has something like this, i.e., accessibility standards for hotel beds? I think I remember a long time ago, a member here mentioned something about that or said that she was involved with it somehow. I think she was in the travel industry and her username started with the letter E. Anyway, I'm looking for more information about this issue with hotel beds.

Thanks, I have a good weekend.
    Here you go.

California building code requirement for a clear height of 7 inches under the bed (Section 1111B.4.3):

(2010 CBC) 1111B.4.3 Access to beds. Accessible sleeping rooms shall have a 36-inch (914 mm) clear width maneuvering space located along both sides of a bed, except that where two beds are provided, this requirement can be met by providing a 36-inch-wide (914 mm) maneuvering space located between the beds. In addition, there shall be a clear space under the bed for the use of a personal lift device. The clear space shall be on a long side of the bed adjacent to an accessible aisle. The clear space shall extend horizontally to points not more than 12 inches (305 mm) from each end of the bed, vertically not less than 7 inches (178 mm), and not less than 30 inches (762 mm) deep.