Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Memory problems

Memory problems

I'm losing my ability to remember names. Sometimes I can't remember the names of actors or authors whom I've known and been a fan of for decades. I was doing today's Times crossword, for instance, and couldn't remember the name of the actor who plays Captain Picard, even though I've been a fan of his forever.

Not sure if this is due to age, senility, or increasing reliance on google for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by xsfxsf View Post
    I'm losing my ability to remember names. Sometimes I can't remember the names of actors or authors whom I've known and been a fan of for decades. I was doing today's Times crossword, for instance, and couldn't remember the name of the actor who plays Captain Picard, even though I've been a fan of his forever.

Not sure if this is due to age, senility, or increasing reliance on google for everything.
    I was wondering the same thing. I turned 55yrs old this year and deal with the same thing. Most of the time it comes to me 5 minutes later.

Your profile doesn't state your age so I don't know if this could be age related. I'm in my mid 70's and didn't start having that issue of remembering names until about 5 years ago.
    My older sister is a fan of tricks to remember things - one that definitely helps me is to slowly go through the alphabet and it sometimes triggers the memory of a name.
    Another thing I've read about is to move your body - wheel a few feet, or if you walk, move a few feet - apparently it also charges the memory. I have tried it and it sometimes works, to my surprise.
    I keep Wikipedia handy on my iPhone to look up stuff - if I'm watching a streaming movie I look up the cast and immediately spot the name with an "Oh yeah!!".

Not sure if you are on any medication, but most bladder as well as pain meds I've taken over the years had a huge impact on my memory. That's one of the big reasons I don't take them anymore.

I am 68. Memory is a big challenge for me but I noticed difficulty remembering nouns back in my early 50s. I have a history of concussions that long predates my accident so I certainly prefer the diagnosis of 'brain damage' to the word dementia. I also take memory affecting drugs and my memory is noticeably worse since I started using weed. We cling to life even when our hands are weak.

Remembering names can be a big problem for many of us as we age. Do you later remember them, even hours or days later? That is a good sign. If they are gone forever, you may want to see a neurologist for a work-up of these problems.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Same exact problem here. I'm 69 and not on meds. Memory problems with names and not being able to find words I'm looking for started happening big time 5 or 6 years ago.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

same here 69 no meds except warfin tizadine no history of dementia but I still work typing is horrid but you all know that its just part of it

I have word-finding problems as a (known) side-effect of meds I was on pre-SCI and still take. It’s definitely gotten worse in the last year or two. It has made me into an excellent and detailed describer of things whose name I cannot remember in the moment and then when I lose related words it gets really complicated and awful. Weirdly, it’s almost always nouns and names that I lose, not verbs - somewhere there’s probably an explanation of that, but what I’d really like to know is why once I get to the end of the description the word so often comes back! Over time, I have found that doing puzzles, the more difficult the better, has helped, as does knitting and beading.

I do the Set puzzle daily, although recent studies have disproven previous studies showing that such games can improve or maintain mental sharpness with aging.

https://www.setgame.com/set/puzzle

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.