Thread: Hotel Management as a career for my son

Hotel Management as a career for my son

My son who is 16 would like to look into hotel management as a career. He is newly injured C4 complete 5 months post but has most arm muscles except triceps. He would like to go into hotel management and I am wondering if anyone knows anything about this or anyone who is a quad or para who is in hospitality as a career?

I would encourage him in this. I don't know anyone in a chair who does this, but he could be the first, and could also serve as an advocate for other wheelchair users in developing and managing lodging facilities that have truly accessible accommodations! I do know of several people who were restaurant managers or owners in a wheelchair, and there are many similarities in the skills/education.

I would encourage him to work with the Dept. of Rehabilitation in your state in anticipation of applying for college, and to take a college/university based major in this, rather than going to a private trade school or just OJT. A degree will give him better power to work in both that field, and branch out into another part of the hospitality business if he decides to do that later. Here is an article about this career path:

https://www.princetonreview.com/care.../hotel-manager

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I had a young man come in for an interview for insurance and he had a degree in hotel management. And he wanted do do this work since high school. And after getting a job at a hotel found it was a whole lot more involved than he thought.
    He said the hours and stress was to much and looking for a different career.

At 16 I would encourage him to pursue any legal occupation he is interested in.
    Who knows where it will lead him?

Not to be off putting but I worked in hospitality for a number of years, it is long hours, very long, you have numerous physical tasks to do and would require an understanding manager and employer. It need not be impossible but would require a lot of hard work and dedication. Possibly look for a course in hotel management so he can gain knowledge then move on to the work bit. On the positive side there are a lot of opportunities in hotels/catering, where I live is a tourist area and jobs are plentiful.

Yes. A demanding career track that also requires moving every few years at the beginning, to show you can handle different positions in various locations in a chain.